Who is the 612's target audience??? | FerrariChat

Who is the 612's target audience???

Discussion in '612/599' started by bkaird1, Dec 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bkaird1

bkaird1 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Brad
    It seems to me that someone interested in the 612 (or the 456) might be more inclined to go with the 550. Do you guys think there is a lot of overlap in the target audience for these cars? One new car I'd LOVE to see is another mid 12 along the lines of the TRs.

Brad

2. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    It would be someone who really need the interior space for a variety of reasons. Being big and tall, for one. Need to transport more than one passenger (ie. kids). Road trips? This would be the ideal vehicle for that. The relatively subtle styling has its fans too.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    612 is a 4-seater. 4-seaters have traditionally been for Ferrari's wealthiest clients.

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ferrari needs to get out of gt market, imho, even if it is a traditional one for them. these days cars like bentley, amg mb, etc offer similar performance, better luxury, with greater practicality/reliability, better dealer network, and significantly less $. f should stick to sports cars where style,sound, and feel are much more important and swing the pendulum back to ferrari's favor.

5. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Ferrari invented the GT.

6. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Sure, there are alternatives out there. But there are customers who want a Ferrari GT.

7. I agree there is others but a Die hard Ferrari lover who needs the space would definetly go for it. The 456GT and 456GTA and the 612 are both incredible 4 seaters that mb,bently and others just dont have. But never the less the others are great aswell.

8. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    Men & Women that have been fortunate to do well in this poor economy, and enjoy driving a fine automobile.

9. winston

winston Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    foothills
    Full Name:
    don
    For a car that can carry 3 dogs and me, the 456 is perfect. It is fun to drive, at Laguna it is very comfortable.

10. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#10 maranelloman, Dec 21, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'd put it the opposite way. Why would anyone buy a 550/575 when they could have almost the same performance (or more, in the case of the 612) and the practicality as well? All wrapped in gorgeous, elegant styling?

And in the case of used cars, for less money?

12. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Because of greater practicality,less "in your face" styling and performance easily eclipsing CL55/Bentley GT,the 612 will be my first Ferrari ever.(could not afford 456 when they came out)

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA

Congratulations. Is your order in? What colors are you getting?

14. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    That's great - when do you expect to take delivery? Have you seen it in person?

15. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    absent - yeahhhhhh!

16. Jason

Jason Karting

Dec 1, 2001
    I think the better question is why does Ferrari make two GT's? Looking at sales, wait lists, mark-ups and the used market prices it's obvious that Ferrari sports cars are more popular than the GT's. That's not to say the GT's 550/456 aren't great cars but it begs the question why make 2 GT models and only 1 sports car when the sports car config is more popular? (I don't count the Enzo as a 4th model since it's a limited run, ultra-high price item).

Ferrari should go back to the setup they had before (328, TR, 412) an 8-cyl sports, a 12-cyl sports and a 12-cyl GT.

17. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    A great car for the geriatric tifosi!

18. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    What better way to drive nothing but Ferraris? One would have the 575 and whatever it is replaced with for a particular feeling/moment- daily driver, all-weather, gorgeous but subtle lines. The 360 Spider for the sunny warm months. The 360 CS for ripping canyons and mountain drives, and other pleasures only it possesses. The 612 for the wife and kids or for trips/double dates with adults. I never plan to own a sedan, therefore the 612 is a great blessing. Also there are times when one only wants to be pushed, i.e. driving an autobox. At the moment one would have to purchase an MB/Bentley for this niche, something I would rather not do- performance, looks, exclusivity, no "video" presence etc.
    I must add, however, that three cars exist that fill a niche no Ferrari does: the Jaguar XKR convertible, the upcoming Aston DB9 and of course the Murcielago. The Brits are the only cars in the world that match Ferrari's beauty (Vanquish also matches and perhaps surpasses although the rear quarter seems uncertain), though neither approaches the performance. However, for automatic, top-down cruising and beauty the XKR is unique. The DB9 promises to be a unique experience of its own as well- beauty, sound, performance, and the interior looks exquisite. And the Murci seems to be a very unique pleasure of its own, though I haven't had the pleasure.

As it is with women, gentlemen, it is a combination of factors that attracts, pleases and maintains the attraction and the pleasure. Ferrari simply combines more superlative factors in one package than any other carmaker.

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Congrats !! I love the Scaglietti ! Please let us know when you receive it !

20. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    That is a very well-phrased, logical statement -
    But I think (therefore, I yammer) the logic on Ferrari's part is that they are able to:
    Produce at a pace they can keep.
    Charge accordingly.
    Maintain tradition (which is far more extensive than the 70's and 80's runs) of design for limited audience for some models.
    Secure fascination with legend/unobtanium [in the case of the "anniversary" models - which you don't count (arguably, with good reason)].

[In arguable fairness, while discussing price changes, I'll limit changes to rear-12's and anniversary models]
    If a 12 is put into the rear of "regular" production vehicle while removing 1 of the 2 or 4 seaters:
    8's wouldn't sell as well at current prices.
    "Anniversary" models wouldn't have the cache they do now.
    Sale price would be lower than that of a GT, whether 2 or 4 seaters.
    Production quantities would have to go up in order to offset lower price of rear 12 vs. lower production quantities for higher-priced (as new) front-engined variants.

If *everything* (save for limited run of anniversary models) is built at any given time (again, compared to current offerings - as new):
    8 cyl. sport: Quantities down, prices same (those who can afford the 12 sport and aren't into GT's won't get the 8's)
    12 cyl. sport: Quantities up (currently nonexistent), prices below 12 cyl. fronts
    12 cyl. GT: Quantities down, prices same
    12 cyl. GT2+2: Quantities down, prices same
    "anniversary" models: Quantities up, prices down

Another arguable point: As time goes by, save for the 8's - there'd be fewer "less-moneyed" F-chatters without F-Cars from this time period.

All of this is without taking into account the releases of hardtops, targas, spyders, homologated, etc.

Again, this is what I imagine goes on behind the scenes of a company which produces cars to finance racing - and do so with a profit in mind. Again, very good point you made - which prompted mine. Again, either of our statements is arguable (in a friendly manner, of course).

21. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    wax, that is a great point. Perhaps the 360 is selling so well because it's the only reasonably priced mid engine car now being offered. If there were a mid engine V12, then the V8 model would (probably) lose many buyers.

22. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I'm on the list at LFSC for sometime in 2005 delivery since I'm in the middle of a new construction(hopefully done by the end of the year).
    I haven't seen the car in person yet(could not go to NY),but so far I like the pics (not the official blue).
    I hope the car will be shown at Chicago Show.
    Like I said before,It's going to be my first(not last)Ferrari ,the one I would share the experience with my kids and wife together(not taking them one by one for a ride).Later I will add someting for just myself(360 or 575 replacement hopefully)

23. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I don't have much to add to the conversation but by gawd this conversation is what keeps Ferrarichat being one of my favourite sites on the net.
    Very well educated audience having a great conversation about a subject we all know and love.

Bravo

To add my 2 penneth:

I think Ferrari see the 360s as their bread and butter cars. If they lost these small fun cars then their finances would struggle. The 456s/ 575s/ 612s of the ferrari world bring that special bit extra to those who can afford such creations.

The key point is the 550s etc depreciate very heavily compared to the 360s (taking the UK as an example of region here) and this is because the 360s are the cool cars all the top traders etc in the city want.

There are many many other possible reasons and only Luca really knows.

Thanks again for a cool topic. :)

24. dwood1969

dwood1969 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    David Wood
    Rico,

Good point. Of course, eventually there will be another "cool car" for the traders to salivate over and then the 360 will go the same way as the 550. It is the nature of the game.....

Cheers

25. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Know the best thing about this?

It means in a few years us enthusiasts can pick up a 360 for £45k/50k with 10,000 miles and have most of its life without depreciation.

I say let those with too much money take the hit and us enthusiasts reap the rewards! :D:D