update on my belt noise | FerrariChat

update on my belt noise

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jr328gtb, Dec 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jr328gtb

jr328gtb Karting

May 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    A while back, I posted about some belt noise in my 328. It was kind of a flapping sound that went away after a while of driving. I recently had the car serviced and it turned out to be some slight rust on the cam pulleys. My mechanic removed belts, cleaned, lubed and replaced. He also suggested running a dehumidifier in the garage to keep moisture down.

question - anyone had a similar problem in the past....anything preventitive that can be done or is it just circumstantial based on wash conditions, moisture level in garage etc

thanks

2. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    JR

328's are known for belt noise, I was told this is caused by a build up of static in the belts and that the only long term way to resolve it is to replace the belts, maybe by removing them you mech has discharged them or did he replace with new anyway?

3. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    I had a similar noice coming from the belts about 3 weeks ago. It was a really cold and wet day, early in the morning. At the garage was probably 5 C, out was below 0 C, there was ice in the cars outside.

When I started the car I had that flaping sound for about 15 seconds, then it was gone. I haven't heard that noise again.

- Julio.

4. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    You know, I just started hearing a noise like that recently. It has been fairly cold, well for Santa Barbara anyway. It goes away after 30 seconds. It only does it for the first start of the day.

I had the belts and tensioner bearings done about 6 months ago and maybe 2000 miles.

5. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    my 308's belts will make a slapping sound on colder mornings. only for 5-10 seconds. after that it will not do it for the rest of the day. in the spring and summer they never do this. so i think it may be due to colder weather and in some cases rust on the pulleys. for you guys in colder areas try using some belt conditioner on the belts to keep them from getting to stiff.