lets vote! best wax/sealant | FerrariChat

lets vote! best wax/sealant

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 355f, Dec 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

best wax/sealant

1. zymol

2. Klasse

3. Crystal

4. other???

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Many posts on the best wax/sealants what do you think are the best all things considered!

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Few others that maybe worth including;

Meguiar's
    P21S
    Swissol

.My vote will be Meguiar's.

3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    ZYMOL ITALIA OR ZYMOL CONCOURSE

4. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    P21S or Zaino.

If forced to use something else, that would be Pinnacle Souvereign, Meguiar's Gold Class or Mother's Carnuba Cleaner. For white or silver cars, Pinnacle's paste wax.

Here's my extensive write up on how to use these products.
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2620

Sunny

5. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

3M Imperial Hand Glaze followed-up with Gliptone Carnauba paste.

6. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Zainos brothers
    Hands down.

7. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    The wax/sealant that you use makes little difference to the finish. First and foremost is paint preparation.

On a properly prepared car, just about any wax/sealant will look good, and I challenge that most people (>95%) would not be able to tell the difference between one or another.

I have been using Mother's Reflections, and been happy. Have also used Zaino, Zymol, S100, Klasse. All made the car look good.

What's best for me may not be what's best for you. I am happy with Mother's Reflections because it is very easy to put on, and lasts a while.

Dom

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Dom is correct. Preparation is the thing that most people do not do prior and is the biggest investment a person can make to keeping a spectacular paint finish.

However, coming from a Concours background myself, once you have the preperation "down," there is most certainly a big difference between the products with their own strengths and weaknesses. Cost, ease of application, durability, gloss, depth, reflectivity (and clarity), elemental/UV resistance, availability, temperature, and technique to best apply it.

The stronger your vision "perscription" gets, the more these differences become important and thats the purpose of this thread!

9. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    P21S -- should be two separate polls for waxes and polymers since most people fall into one camp or the other. For wax, very good results can be achieved with Mothers Clay, followed by P21S cleaner, followed by 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, followed by P21S wax.

10. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Are we related?

:D

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    meguiars world class, works exeptionally well on red and black cars. i use clay first and then the wax.ill post a "after " pic if i can find one.

12. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Meguiar's gold class or zaino.

13. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002

Sunny,

I sort of agree with you, but with a slight difference. As I said above, most people (>95% IMO) would not be able to tell the difference between Zaino and Zymol (or insert other favorite here).

I find it extremely difficult to tell the difference sometimes, even when I try comparing on the same car, but 2 panels done with a different wax.

Now, If I was a pro and trying to win a concours, I would be able to discern these differences. But most of the common folk would not be able to tell a difference, and would only note that it looks good.

If I get a chance one of these days, I will try to do a hood 1/2 with Mother's reflections, and 1/2 with something else and take my car to crystal cove and let others judge if there is a difference.

Dom

14. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    sorry if these "offend" any purists.if you can ignore the fact these are not ferrari, but have ORIGINAL almost 30 year old paint, then you can get the point i am trying to make. if clay and this meguiars world class wax can make these look this nice, just think how nice a 20 plus year old ferrari will look with original paint!!!
    1) 1970 Z28 11,600 original miles, (4 speed) cranberry red no less!

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    This is kind of like "who makes the best motor oil?" or "Who makes the best car?" You'll many different answers...some good, some bad.....

16. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    red paint and black paint in general are harder to keep up. they will oxidize quickly, a black car is very unforgiving when it comes to swirl marks from improper washing and waxing, buffers on black cars require more skill than any other color with the exception of candy-pearl clear coats. again sorry for the non fcar pic. here is a 1976 black ta with 31,622 miles notice the even shine and reflection. this also is acryllic laquer based ORIGINAL paint.

17. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    Mequiar's simple and easy.

18. Welsh

Welsh Rookie

Dec 16, 2003

S100

If you live in Texas, I highly recommend ScottWax

http://www.scottwax.com/

He does an AMAZING job.

This guy is more or less a god on autopia :)

He uses S100

19. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    There is no such thing as the best wax/sealant. Each has their own pros and cons. If you want durability and shine, a sealant should be your choice, but if you want depth of color and paint clarity go with a carnuaba. I have had extensive use with both Crystal Guard and Zymol and must admit they are both great, but one is not better then the other. They each fill their own niche very well.

20. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
  21. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thomas Wax is pretty cool... :D

22. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Voted Zaino. Why isn't it on the list, it scored tops when some company had that wax test last year...

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Zaino by far the best IMHO.

24. Soon avalible to the public Meguiars NXT
    Meguiars Polymer #20
    Klasse AIO+SG
    Poorboys EX
    Platnium UPP
    Blackfire
    Zaino

25. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    www.gurureports.org

The test was funded with their own money and they bought the products off the shelf. Unline magazine tests, there was no way for manufacturers to slip them a special batch.

Eye opening. I strongly recommend reading it if you do your own washing/detailing. Or at least give you the questions to ask your detailer or wash shop... *shiver*