308 carrier bearings | FerrariChat

308 carrier bearings

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Santini, Nov 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Supposedly these are one of the mechanical items to closely examine when in the market for a 308.

Is there an easy way to determine whether or not they're any good other than a road test?

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    seems a PPI will pick this up. bad carrier bearings will howl/groan/growl but they can be deceptive and only make noise after they have warmed up and or the load on the bearings changes.. i know you said " without driving" but my .02 would be to not buy any car much less a ferrari that cant be driven and fully warmed up to normal operating temp. a stone cold car is a different beast from a warmed up one. will it start cold????? will it start after sitting for 15 minutes after a good drive. is it hard to start either way???? smoke???? what color and smell???? there were no other replies to your thread and i am sorry i dont have a direct answer but i will stand by the belief that a good PPI buy a qualified ferrari tech should help you without alot of miles bing put on the car( maybe its a car insurance issue???)

3. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Thanks for your reply thecarreaper. When the time comes for me to test drive a prospective 308 I'll plan on giving it a good going over and have a PPI.