US 355 vs. Canadian 355 and some emissions ?? | FerrariChat

US 355 vs. Canadian 355 and some emissions ??

Discussion in '348/355' started by FLATOUTRACING, Dec 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    I have a possible buyer in Toronto for my Challenge car however he want's to drive it to and from the track.

Any big differences between Canada and US models in terms of emissions?

Are emissions generally stricter in Canada or the US?

Thanks,

Jon P. Kofod
    1995 F355 Challenge #23 (for sale)
    www.flatoutracing.net

2. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    When we brought a Canadian 98 Honda Accord to the US with us, all they wanted was Honda Cars to state that the car was able to pass Emissions in the states, so Honda sent the DMV this and we were fine. So it should be the reverse for you, if your car, being a 95 can pass emissions here, you should be good there too. I didn't think Toronto had emissions or safety inspections? I thought this was only Nova Scotia and Vancouver?

3. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Good try but to register in Ontario you have to pass saftey then its Drive Clean E test

Really easy for a stock setup don't know about a challange or anything that is race ready

also your buyer probably knows about importing used into canada but there are some hangups if there are extensive Mods

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

John....

As far as I know there are no emission issues as long as your car has the US EPA/DOT sticker. Your standards are the same or higher than ours.

The issue is bumper conversion ($15K more or less) as here in Canada we have 5 mph bumpers versus your 2.5 mph bumpers in the US.

This must be done at a dealer as a registered importer will not have the necessary items.

Also....and this is really funny....the car will have to be taken to a "Canadian Tire" store (sort of like the Wal Mart auto department for you Americans) for a federal inspection once he is ready to plate it. Yes....that's correct !!!......I wonder who they greased to win that contract.

A first year apprentice will probably look under the front hood and ask why there is no engine. Up here we refer to that place as "Crappy Tire".

5. Coyote

Coyote Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    KDS,

That's disturbing -

I would sooner stick my eyeballs with pine needles than let some high school dropout working as a "mechanic" at CTC touch my $300,000 Modena....

6. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
  7. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have investigated importing a 355 into Canada from the US extensively. The bottom line is that it cannot be done.

The bumpers on US models do not meet the Canadian standard of 8k without damage. Transport Canada told me that if the bumpers were changed that Ferrari North America would have to certify the car. Ferrari North America told me that they wouldn't.

I have spoke to a couple of business associates that even got attorneys involved and everything with no luck. If you want a 355 it's got to be a Canadian car.

On the Transport Canada website take mention of the little asterix beside admissable cars.

DrewH

8. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

There are US cars here legally in Canada....I have seen them in person as well as the relevant papers documenting the legal importation, certification and licensing of them. I was not interested in purchasing them for inventory however as hey are more difficult to resell than Canadian cars.....and I imagine the same is true of Canadian cars in the US marketplace.

Ferrari will assist actual OWNERS....but usually not brokers/dealers of same. If you pay a Ferrari dealer to convert the car that i$$$$$.