Mounting a 308 engine on a stand | FerrariChat

Mounting a 308 engine on a stand

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gianluca, Dec 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Well, my engine is finally out of the car. The whole process was pretty much uneventful tahnks to all the good recomandation from FChat. Thank you all for the help.
    By the way, I had absolutely no problems with the height of the ceiling. I do have 9.5 ft ceiling but could have done it with 8 ft too.

I would like to put the engine on a stand and have removed the clutch cover as well as the clutch. Provided I can phisically do it, is it OK to mont the whole engine on a stand using the studs the clutch cover mounts on? I would have to use 3 of the larger studs and 1 of the smaller ones. My stand is rated for 750-1000 lbs but my worries are abut the engine itself.

Thanks

2. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Here are some pics of how my engine was mounted both on a mount and a dolly (custom).

3. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
  4. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    I like the dolly!
    Would you mount the whole engine on a stand, though?
    Is it difficult to separate the trans from the block?

5. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Gianluca, I don't have any pics of what we did, but I'm pretty sure the engine was first placed on the dolly, then the tranny was unbolted and seperated, a hoist was used to lift the engine off and onto the stand where it was striped down and rebuilt. Then it went back onto the cleaned and inspected tranny and bolted back up.

Here is the tranny stand.