F40, F50 spoilers | FerrariChat

F40, F50 spoilers

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by F1racer, Dec 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    What do you think of those big spoilers?

I remember Luca said just before releasing the Enzo that Ferrari will not have a car with those spoilers again. ...atleast until he's in charge.
    Just looking at the Enzo it generates lots of downforce without those big wings but has a little spoiler that goes up at high speed. As for the looks ....hmm..all I could say I like cars with spoilers! (without I love them too)
    I just hope they will back in style.....maybe on Ferrari 's nexts F-series car. (F60:))

Comments?

2. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Just saw an F40 today at the shop. The spoiler fits it well. Let's face it, F40s, F50s and Enzos are outrageous exotic cars. Who are they kidding, trying to be discreet by not putting an integrated spoiler on it? Not that a car like that has to have it, but if it works and looks right for the car, why not?

There was also a Countach there, with wing. It just wouldn't be the same without it.

3. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    whatever works best

4. FerrariFlip

FerrariFlip Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Bonaire,Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Philippe Haak
    well i think they have done it for a smoother look and for a better accelaration and when the spoiler is needed it comes out.
    Because i have seen pictures of an enzo with spoiler before the was build so they have tryed it, if you see the carrera GT it comes out too and the Porsche turbo when in needs more downforce.

if you know other thinks tell me!

5. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I like the clean lines of the countach without the wing and scoops. LP400 was the best looking IMHO. But I do love the wing on the F40! You could do all your ironing on that thing!

6. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    that was hillarious. the wing on the F40 defiantly is nice looking though in ym opinion the countach does look a lot better without the wing and scoops.Makes it look les Mad Maxish or jsut plain 80s.

7. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Agree about the LP400 being the best looking Countach, esp with the periscope.

However as a counterpoint, the enduring image for me is the Cannonball run image of the two girls in bright leather suits in the full on wings etc white (?) Countach - now that wouldn't have been the same w/o the wing.

8. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    the enzo doesn't need a wing to get attention. but since the enzo already has active aerodynamics they could have added a big wing to it that adjusted for runs down the straights and not worried about the drag. which is why the current setup decreases the drag by adjusting the suspension and aero when you approach its top speed.

i doubt it had much to do with function, more along the lines of design. with it's current design i don't think it'd look very good with a spoiler, or maybe i'm just used to seeing it without one.

9. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Wait I thought Enzo=F60. You would not want to put out two tremendous supercars in the same decade.

10. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The Enzo is nowhere near as attractive as an F40 or F50. It looks like a cat with its tail cut off with no wing. Why the F does Ferrari have a Japanese designer now? THis guy should be sent back to Tokyo, I dont care for his work

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I like the spoilers of the F40 and the F50. I think the F50 one really flowed from lines of the car and looked very integrated. The spoiler on say a 355 challenge car, though functional, looks like an afterthgouht (and was). I hope Ferrari never puts that kind of spoiler with the two bars attaching it to the rear and the long strip on top - what should I call it? an H shaped spoiler - on a road car. But who knows, maybe there's a design that would make it work. There's a small one on the Bugatti EB110 I think that looks fine.

12. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You mean like a Challenge car? :)

13. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    They made the 288 GTO and the F40 in the same decade but I know thats different because the F40 engine was derived from that in the 288 GTO.

But still the 60 th anniversary of Ferrari is in 2007.

14. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003

I didn't know it had such a spoiler. This is true?

15. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes, Just like a Porsche Boxster that you can buy for $40k, Just great Yawn

16. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    #16 F1racer, Dec 24, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hmm I dunno I find the spoilers on the F335 Challenge look okay.
    But look at this zjpj...lol ..
    348 road car with a spoiler ..now thats ugly (thats my opinion)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA

No, no, I agree. On a competition car it looks fine. Look at the 333SP - I think that car looks great. But, I don't like it on a road car really. There was that azurro 355 spider on Ebay with a challenge wing, and I didn't think it looked good. I even like the Diablo without a wing... just personal preferences.

18. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That little raised lip at the rear of the engine lip is one of the sexiest parts of the car. It's totally lost when you put a wing on. I've said it before, and I'll say it again....I'd rather be a couple of seconds a lap slower than put a wing on and spoil the looks of my car like that.

19. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Does anyone out there have a pic of a Testarossa with a rear spoiler? I'm curious as to how it would look.

20. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    #20 F1racer, Dec 24, 2003
    Koenig Testarossa
    1000 bhp
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    #21 F1racer, Dec 24, 2003
  22. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    That Koenig says "F-you and the hose you pranced in on"

Gotta love that car. I never wanted one of those until I saw the Koenig.

The wing is often dramatic, I love the 40 and 50, how it was sexy and fit the shape of the car. auto-erotica.

The 550 looks nasty with a wing. the 360, well no wing looks natural.

So their top end car, ie; Enzo, won't have wings, but maybe the other consumer cars will?

Then again I look around and see Hondas/Acuras/Toyotas with wings that look really stupid. The last great Japanese cars with a wing was the RX7 and the NSX because it was part of the body and not looking like an add-on.

23. Hurricane

Hurricane Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    Miami
    Wouldn't a wing decrease the top speed by increasing drag?