Best place to live in FLA... | FerrariChat

Best place to live in FLA...

Discussion in 'Florida' started by bostonmini, Dec 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Just curious, I saw this topic in one of the CA threads and it got me thinking....I live in Boston, and I am so sick of the weather, but I like the east coast. If you were to live in FLA, cost not being an object, where would you recommend, for a younger person? It has to be near the water. I know a friend of mine had his father's condo on fisher island and said that life could be worse...your thoughts?

2. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Hm... cost is no option?? Probably Miami. Only problem for a younger guy there is that all the young girls already have boyfriends who are 60 years old :) I just moved to Tampa from DC, a part of which was for the same reason you mentioned.. sick of the weather, but want to stay on the east coast. Tampa's a pretty young town, but kinda quiet. As far as I know it's the only somewhat 'hip' city on the gulf coast. The northern half and center of the state is kinda rednecky... so you're probably looking at Miami/Lauderdale... of course I've only been in FL for 3 months now, so I dont know too much :)

-R

3. Ferrari 1

Ferrari 1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Benn Correale
    Moved to Ft. Lauderdale in '83 from Boston and never looked back!

4. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    I've lived in Ft Lauderdale since 98 and it is a great place. I would suggest anywhere from Ft Lauderdale to Miami. And the car washes are great here too. Sorry Paulie I didn't know if you wanted me to post this picture of your car or not.

5. Ksullender

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Oh the car washes...

6. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Ken, it took me about 10 minutes but I finally noticed the 355 in the picture.

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    355? Where?

8. chefrobear

chefrobear Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2002
    cravanzana, Italia
    Full Name:
    Robert Ginsberg
    Fisher Island is like a prison. Only way there is by ferry and the ramps can be very tricky for an Fcar at low tide. Miami for the spice, Fort Lauderdale if your a yachty. I live in Greenacres/Wellington (horse country for the Palm Beachers) and on Palm Beach Island (Slow). Stay near the Beach and Enjoy! Delray is alot of fun. So is Jupiter.

BTW love the car washers!!!!

9. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    I moved here from Hawaii and would not live anywhere else.

Between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale is where I would suggest, especially if you like the beach and boating.

On the west side you have the gulf...but it's not the ocean.

There is a living reef about 300 feet from my house, Bimini is 40 miles out and Key Largo is about 58 miles.

Miami has So Beach, and to me, a little over croweded. Ft Laud is more contemporary and seems to have a better quality of life. Doesn't hurt to have Shelton a few miles away also.

I think you would find real estate values a bargin....or at least I did.

Come visit for Cavallino and see. Palm Beach is just a 20 minute drive north of Ft. Laud.

10. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    PS

Ken ... how did you get the pix and do you know the history behind it?

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Okay, being an old Florida Cracker, I'll take a shot at this --

1. You need a boat. While there are some neat places up in peckerwood land in North Florida, most of the land in Florida is, ah, very boring. To prove my point, start with the beach on any place in South Florida and then start driving inland. Within the space of minutes, you'll go from maxo luxo to crack houses. The water is the place to be. To have fun driving a car, you need to find a track, unless you enjoy crusing up and down the strip.

2. You will need commit to living in air conditioning, except when you are on your boat. Florida is so hot and humid that the only saving grace is living near the water so you get the afternoon thundershowers, i.e., 1000% humidity.

3. You need a place to keep your boat in the water. Trailering a boat doesn't work. You need to be able to jump in and go within 20 minutes.

4. But you don't want to live on a boat. People are not hermit crabs. Being Travis McGee and living on the Busted Flush may sound like fun, but it's not.

From here, you have to decide how much Bling Bling you want (or where you can find a job). You need to keep in mind that the state of Florida has always been a whore. Ticky Tacky, Weechie Wacky, Spendie Spendie. Ripping off tourists is a timed honored traditions that goes back to the dawn of time. Did I mention that you need a boat?

If you want to really shine, why not live in Miami Beach?

If you want to tone things down some, I'd suggest Ft. Pierce.

If you really want to go nuts, try Key West (where I was born).

If you want to see Florida how it used to be and still find a job, go to Bradenton Florida, which is right below St. Pete. Yep, somehow the plastic condo transformation skipped this place. Amazing.

Good luck, DrTax

ps Don't go to Pensacola. No money, no jobs, it gets cold in the winter, place is full of rednecks, lot of cranky old people, nope don't go there, no how, no way.

12. Ksullender

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Picture history, I wish I could take credit for this picture, but Paulie will have to fill you in on the story. You won't believe it.

13. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Dr. Tax,

you need a boat????

I don't have one and have no intentions. I actually live on the water with Ocean access in a hurricane hole, so not just that I am on the water I am also in one of the few protected spots. But I will not have a boat!

What you truely need is good freinds that have boats. Once you own one you realize it is just fun with freinds on the boat. Going out by yourself is boring. So I have all these guys that constantly ask me if I want to take a ride. They pay the repairs, the storage, the upkeep, I pay their lunch and have no boat but can go boating all the time. :)

Miami is great. Beach is always the place to be. There are still some great deals in Condos to be had Oceanfront. I was offered yesterday a 1 bedroom Convertible with 1500sq ft Oceanfront 11th floor for $ 325000 asking. Needs some cosmetics but the building is great. Concierge and Valet and right on the Ocean.

BTW if you are looking into Miami beach/Aventura Area let me know. We have helped William find his condo and some other folks here on Ferrari Chat.

Ft. Lauderdale is shaping up. There are some great areas to live.

Going further north will get you more bang for the buck but takes you away from the action of Miami Beach and Ft. Lauderdale.

The West Coast is nice as well but more quiet than our metropolitain areas.

The closer you stay to the Beach in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale the less you will have rain during the summer months. Go to the new communities our west (Weston, Plantation) and you will have afternoon showers guaranteed. A weather phenomena.

Martin

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Damn, I'm so busted. Martin, you need to learn when to hold em and when to fold em. You see, without fools who buy boats, we will not be able to bum rides in them...

DrTax

15. chefrobear

chefrobear Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2002
    cravanzana, Italia
    Full Name:
    Robert Ginsberg
    do what I do. Get paid to live and work on a boat. I spent my birthday week-end cruising to the Bahamas. Fishing and diving included. Sure its a 125 footer but we also have a 32 foot tender and jet skis to use on our down time (which btw is alot )

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    ...Learning a lot here.

Footnote on Bradenton. Bradenton is home of Tropicana (one of the largest polluters on the planet) and the famous "Tropicana Orange Fog"
    rolls over the area regularly. Too many other numerous problems to list here but suffice to say, Bradenton is where the parents of Miami retirees
    seem to end up.

Plenty of nice areas on the west coast with lots of boating opportunities
    the first which comes to mind is Tierra Verde Island at the far south end of Pinellas County.

BHW

17. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Not to mention:

1. Highest employment growth rate.
    2. NO State Income Tax
    3. No helmet law
    4. Most importantly, No SMOG CHECKS! De-Cat and go straight pipe.

Re: The pix...that was taken a few doors down from my house.

18. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I bow my head to you oh Chef....you truly have it down! :)

...and I thought I was smart.:)

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Interesting, the only reason I meationed Brandenton was because I just visited an old friend from my hippy dippy college days at FSU who is now a lawyer in Bradenton. Because so much of Florida has gone condo mania, I was stunned to see a town that looked like the Florida I knew growing up, i.e., single story brick houses, kinda dumpty down town. It is about as far from Clearwater as you can get. Great fishing and whatnot, but not as expensive as Ft. Myers.

I don't know anything about the fog other than the one that I have seemingly been in ever since those days in Tallahassee (and there were a lot of those days in Tallahassee).

But the main point, though, is that Florida is a boat place. The only good driving roads I know are in North Florida and, even those, pale compared to North Georgia and so forth and so on.

But I might have to check out your Tierra Verde island.

DrTax

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Tierra Verde is tops. Most homes and condos back right up to canals with boat slips right out the back doors.

You have Tampa Bay on one side and the Gulf of Mexico on the other
    and the best grouper reef about 30 miles out you can find anywhere.

Course, if Tampa Bay gets a direct hurricane hit Tierra Verde will be
    about 60' under watern but the living is fine.

I'm considering moving back there but then Martin made a big to do
    about Miami and Ft. Lauderdale and of course we know all about the women down there. Shrug.

BHW

21. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    ah, condo mania has not arrived there eh? means cheap prices, means big profits....means I AM BUYING !~!!

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sorry to say, William, but I think that your favorite place, Wally World, has beat you to the punch. Wal Mart just announced plans to turn the entire state into a big box store. Instead of welcome to Florida, the signs will now say, "The lowest prices for the crappiest stuff ever!"

You should look for your blue greeter vest in the mail.

DrTax

23. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c

don't move to panama city beach. you can't find a gulf front home for under 90 grand. there a roads like rt 20 where you can drive at 120+ fro an hour without seeing another car. in the spring the place is crawling with half naked babes,they film girls gone wild there. the surfing is too hard, 3-4 waves. you only have three different bays to chose from or the gulf to sail in. the weather actually changes so you have to wear a sweater at nites instead of a sweaty backed shirt. yeah, don't move to panama city beach.

24. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    and in winter it is freezing cold. You may see snow, you will definetly need heat for several months.

25. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Guys, I'm a diehard New Yorker but left after college. (heck most never leave anyhow) but I've been everywhere during the USAF and you can keep Florida! The bugs,mosquitos,humidity,huricanes.. yuk!

I'm not bashing FLA because it is beautiful and very boater conducive for my interests! (plus lots of X-NYr's) BUT... San Diego is the place to be... No bugs at all... No earthquakes like LA and the entire Pacific coastline to yourself all year long. Let's not forget we have the best climate in the Nation....!!!

I can take the boat to Catalina and return to go sking in Big Bear the same day.

Yeah, we dont have Diner's and our pizza & football team sucks but it's a quality of life everyone should experience. La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe and Del Mar should be something too experience before heading to FLA.

That's my opinion but I respect all regardless.

Patrick
    San Diego, CA
    (Note: Los Angeles sucks as far as San Diego people are concerned )

+ Plenty of freeways and open roads to cruise in the 328......!!