Oil preasure light on/off...why? | FerrariChat

Oil preasure light on/off...why?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by F355Fly, Dec 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    Driving home from work today about three miles and just before I pull into my driveway my oil preasure light came on and it looked like the preasure at idle was a little low. I pulled into the driveway and thats when it came on again. Can it be that I may need to add a quart or so of oil? I did notice a couple of times while driving that the car kind of hesitated or at least it fealt like it. Can anyone evaluate?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    please b-4 you do anything CHECK THE OIL LEVEL!!! if it is fine look for a loose connection to the sender.

3. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    That sounds like some sage advice. I'd check the oil ASAP, and definitely before firing it back up.

4. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    First thing is the morning I will check the oil level. Where should the level be when the car is cold (sitting overnight)?

5. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Ya know Fly, this ain't rocket science! :)

Don't you do sight checks regularly?

Oil level, coolant, lights and tyre pressure; make it a practice!

6. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    Darrols I just bought this car. I drove it for a week or so and then left it ssitting for a couple of weeks while I was waiting for my manifolds from QV London. I assure you that from this day forward it will be routine weekly check up. Thanks for the advice..

7. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    You must run it first, in order to check the level. If you simply start it, then stop it again,, when stone cold...the level will need to be just above minimum....but the correct level is obtained when the oil is 80 deg c just after switch off....where it should be on or around the max.

8. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I don't know the cold stick level of a 355 but if you check it cold it should be at least 3" to 4" above the full mark. This is a ref. to start from. In the future when you change your oil you should get a cold reading (no oil in filter and cooler) and measure it on the stick. Then start it up and run it to fill the filter and cooler. Let it sit for an hour and then get a read which is filter partially filled and cooler drained. Last is do the recommended check after running the car hot. Record all 3 data points and use depending on when you check the oil. Now you are in a catch 22 situation here. If your oil pressure gage is reading at idle but your warning light is flickering then the light sending unit is iffy. These usually trigger at 5# to 15#'s. Also watch water temp. If normal then problem should be light sensor. Last safety net is to check with a mech. gage at the filter housing. If you do this you may want to mount this gage in the engine compartment and use it as a verifier in the future. My 2 cents here

9. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    Taking no chances I had the car towed over to the Ferrari Dealer and had them change the oil and filter. I also had them replace the brake and clutch fluid. Had them check to see why the oil light came on but they could not find a reason, I guess was a fluke. Now that I've had all that done to the car I can really enjoy the drive. Picked it up from the dealer and after running it for about 20 minutes I really let her have it and boy all I can say is WOW. This car is really something, from the sound to the power and handling, I can only immagine a what a 360CS can do. Anyway I am really glad to own a Ferrari and be a part of this forum, you guys have been very helpful. Thanks for everything.

10. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Your a smart guy. You paid a low price for all the peace of mind you can have now. Enjoy!

11. F355Fly

F355Fly Guest

Nov 26, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Asi
    Better to be safe the to be sorry. Thanks