Alfa 2600 spider- alternative to vintage ferrari? | FerrariChat

Alfa 2600 spider- alternative to vintage ferrari?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by andrew911, Dec 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I love the styling of the 2600 alfa spiders. I understand that these were more highway cruisers than the 4-cylinder spiders that may have been more tossable. Here's one on ebay- I have seen some nicer ones on ebay too in the past with better styling than this one, maybe the earlier ones looked nicer? Picture this car with period wire wheel rims on it- it reminds me of early 275/330 ferrari spiders, especially maybe the earlier 2600 spiders (@ a much lower price of course). Anyone have one of these? What are they like to drive?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=5356&item=2448742048

2. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Maybe this is a better example:

3. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Over 30 years ago my college room mate had one. It was a good road car with a smooth engine but too big and heavy to be tossed around. His car had the Solex carbs which were a real pain. There are still a few around, along with it's 4 cyl. predecessor the 2000, but parts are expensive and not easily obtained. For what the seller wants on e-bay you can get a nice concours car which that one is not. For some 2600 history:
    http://members.iweb.net.au/~pstorr/2600stuff/2600hist.htm

4. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Thanks for the link! You confirm what I have read about the car being more heavy and a "tourer". I would consider the car to be in the class of the old 230/250/280sl Mercedes, or maybe even the older 190sl's. Still a pretty neat car with nice interior and exterior styling (love the dash guages!) I posted that one that was listed on Ebay since it reminded me of the car when I saw it.

A few months ago there was an absolutely mint 2600 on ebay that looked like it was show quality. That was the first one I saw that sparked my interest in the car- it may have had minor trim differences compared to the car picture I posted though.

5. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Yep a very nice car indeed. I asked my mechanic about them several years ago. He responded that parts cost and availability makes them a questionable car. Basically the same response he gave me about the FIAT 1500 and the OSCA. Very nice cars but a spare car for parts is a really good idea.

Overall an older Ferrari is easier to find parts for. Even the price of parts will generally be less expensive. The big difference of course the entry cost.