exhaust sound of US version 360 stradale | FerrariChat

exhaust sound of US version 360 stradale

Discussion in '360/430' started by 720, Dec 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i heard a euro version stradale exhaust and it sounded really good to me. i noticed that at low revs the exhaust note was relatively tame, but then rather suddenly at a higher RPM (i'm guessing 5000 RPMs or so) all hell breaks loose and the car "shrieks" :) but i've never heard a US version stradale. i assumed that the US version would have the same exhaust characteristics (a bypass valve to "shriek" at some point) as the euro version but perhaps not quite as loud. a friend of mine in florida just got his US version stradale. he called me and told me that he drove the car fairly aggressively up to about 6000 RPMs and he did not hear any noticeable change int he exhaust sound. specifically, he did not experience the sudden "shriek".

if anybody has heard a US version stradale's exhaust can you please describe as best you can how it sounded? specifically, is there a point where the bypass valves open and the exhaust note changes dramatically? if so can you tell me what conditions make this happen?

thanks for any feedback you can provide :)

2. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
  3. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

I am a little confused...is there a diffrence between the US Stradale exhaust and the ROW exhaust?? I read earlier that the US Stradale may have a pre cat...is that true?

If the US Stradale has these pre cats... could this be the reason that the US car has 16 less HP on the delivery books?

4. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i have a friend who has a friend in a technical capacity at ferrari. i asked him a couple weeks ago if there was a difference between the US and euro exhaust systems (see response from ferrari tech guy below). i'll see if i can get any answers about differences in HP between the euro and US spec cars. i'll post the answer if/when i get one :)

"Ok Exhaust system are identical and have the same part number, a pre-cat is used to heat up the cat rapidly for differing emission systems.

In some cars it might alter the note slightly but in our system it does not because the note is tuned and created in the silencer part of the system.

The silencer is two exhausts in one, One has to pass noise regulations and the other does not due to the revs it works at. It opens at a rev limit and throttle position in relation to manifold pressure".

5. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    in normal (sport) mode under full load the by-pass valve opens @ 6000rpm

in race mode under full load the by-pass valve opens @ 3500rpm

6. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Thomas:

I have heard where some people have locked open the by-pass valve on their 360's. Would you do this with the Stradale to get that extra sound right from the get go or would you find it would get tirersome?

7. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

I had a Tubi on my 360 - my neighbours hated the sound at idle - the CS just got me back from "he is a pain" into "he is nuts" status - so I love the way the CS exaust works

blocking the valves open should be a quick operation - dealers disconnect the by-pass logic for Tubi's all the time - so it should a simple check with low risk