no reverse in 308 | FerrariChat

no reverse in 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Almost_2_Tall, Dec 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Almost_2_Tall

Almost_2_Tall Rookie

Dec 22, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    I couldn't back it out of the garage this weekend. Shifter appears to go into gear the same as earlier in the week when I drove it, only this time no reverse. All other gears work. I tried taking the gate off and seeing if I could get in reverse with no success. (I could have just had bad "aim" also.) Any suggestions for a starting point would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Strange - you say when you removed the gate you could select all forward gears, are you sure you were selecting 1st and not 3rd. The reason for asking is 1st and reverse are operated by the same selector shaft, so in theory if you can get 1st gear then you should be able to select reverse. The worst thing is that something has happened to the reverse gear train - you should be able to verify this by removing the sump and with someone operating the gear lever see what is happening.

MW

3. Almost_2_Tall

Almost_2_Tall Rookie

Dec 22, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    gears 1-5 worked fine with the gate on, no reverse. Everything worked fine the last time it was used (nothing unusaual). I just took the gate off to see if it could be an adjustment problem by chance. I realize it would be unlikely if the other gears worked fine but figured it was worth a shot.

4. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    are you pushing the shifter down to get into reverse, I know on my mondial you need to push it down slightly before forward to get into reverse

5. Almost_2_Tall

Almost_2_Tall Rookie

Dec 22, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    no, it is definitely not that. I would not be able to get into R with the gate on without pushing the shifter down. If feels as though it is going into gear ( the same as it felt before). Only now, I release the clutch and it doesn't move.

6. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I know someone who went through the same exact thing in a 308 QV and it turned out he needed to have the linkage adjusted.