F355:what to know befor buying? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F355:what to know befor buying?

Discussion in '348/355' started by LeoExotic, Dec 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Thanks! Well, the car also has the F50 brake kit in front and the F40 brake kit in rear so it will be a beast on those mountain roads.

2. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Classiguy,

I just traded my M3 convertible as seen in www.lamborghinidallas.com for the yellow F355 spider on the same site and if you like the way your M3 drives, you will love the Ferrari. The M3 is an incredible car but the Ferrari is better. It is like dating a drug addicted, spendaholic nymphomanic, bisexual, supermodel. Doesn't get too much better. Here is a pic of mine.

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Nice wheels.

4. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    A Testarossa its more expensive to maintain than a 355, but the 355 its not much next to a Testarossa. Flat 12, the sound, a car build when Enzo was alive, the looks, and to say also that the Testarossa was the top of the line Ferrari while it was produced, and also the fastest production car while it was in production, they are cheap to buy now but expensive to maintain. A little slower off the line than the 355 but you don't live doing 0-60 all the time, besides Ferraris aren't drag cars. If you want a real Ferrari buy an older one, they have something that say what it is right away, the new ones are not as special unless you go for the supercar ones. More to the point a Testarossa makes you look like a Ferrari man and a 360 makes you look like a male model or a wimp perhaps.

5. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Testacojnes that is a really funny post. Speeder put down the crack pipe for a bit. I have a 95 355 and I had the Headers (Exhaust Manifold) changed in early 2003 by the dealer under warranty with no pocket expense. I have had all the updates done by Alan at FOC under warranty. I did pay for the 30,000 mile serivce, put other than that and oil changes no other maintence issues. Oh I forgot I did have the battery done by Interstate under warranty and paid for a new fuel regulator.

Maybe you had bad luck but so far so good. I had a compression and leakdown check a few months ago for fear of Valve Guides. no problem. Alan at FOC told me a lot of the Valve Guide issues were related to driving the cars with cracked Exhaust Manifolds.

J/K about the crack pipe comment.

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I had 3 separate mechanics tell me that the 355 is the most reliable Ferrari made. The things to watch out for are the valve quides in pre 1998's (show up from 10k-20k miles usually), the cracked headers (shows up usually between 13k and 22k miles), and the shrinking of the dash leather if the PO did not properly care for the leather. And the other two can be one time fixes if fixed right. So it's not like these are recurring issues that will come up over and over thus preventing you from enjoying your car.