Meadowdale Raceway 2004? | FerrariChat

Meadowdale Raceway 2004?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Dec 24, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Bob, are we going to have another get together at Meadowdale? Did you talk to the locals to have something arranged to get on the track?

2. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Glad you brought this up, need to try and contact them them soon

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Maybe this is the way we do our drives going forward: One person organizes them as the host. You got Meadowdale, I could do the scenic Lake Shore Drive tour again and Frank sets up a Rte 66. Just an idea.

4. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    It would be great for the more experienced track drivers such as Andreas & Bob to post what is required to participate in such an event. Some questions I have is: What special equipment is required ? I know my insurance agent would have the "big one" if I mentioned the word "track". Are there special policies that can be purchased for non competitive track events ?
    Dave

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Slight misunderstanding, Dave:

Meadowdale Raceway is not a track in use anymore. It is more of a historic site and for us just another pilgrimage point.

I'm certainly not an experienced track driver, at least not with my Ferrari, which so far I only took once to Blackhawk. But I can at least tell you what was involved there (organized by Continental): You didn't need a darn thing. They briefly looked at the car and after determing, that it still had a wheel on each corner you passed Tech Inspection. If you had an overall and a helmet you qualified for the fast group. I had that, but opted for the slower group anyway because of my lack of seat time in my 308.

First I thought I'm a show off in my own overall and helmet, but more experienced guys said, that is the only way to do this and couldn't believe guys driving around without any protection.

I took it easy, being new to this and because my car was the vehicle that also had to get me home the same day. More serious guys of course had their F cars trailored in.

As far as insurance goes I can't really say. That seems to be one of those mysteries that nobody has a real answer. I *believe* I'm covered as long as I'm not racing the car, but just lap, which is the way this was setup anyway: You weren't allowed to pass (only on the s/f line after the slower driver - me - has waived you by) and no times or positions were taken. So I guess that qualifies it as a driver's instruction. Best way is to never have to find out in the first place.

Anyway, Meadowdale is TOTALLY safe for your Ferrari as you can't currently even enter the track. THAT is exactly what Bob might be working on to get that changed. At least to the part where we can take a picture of the Ferraris sitting in the location where there ONCE was a track.
    :)

6. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Whoops ! Didn't realize this was a dead track. In that case my agent won't have a problem with it after all.
    If you have been on a track with your car even once, your more experienced than I am.
    This is one thing I should try at least once.
    Dave

7. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Dave-

I remember going to Meadowdale in the 60s; I wonder when it went defunct?

At any rate, in the 60s I tracked my E-Types, and tore the snot out of them as you know.

My joy today is in driving my cars during our little get togethers, not in seeing how much abuse I can put into them before they break!

Guys, racing isn't my gig anymore.

With all do respect, you won't won't be seeing me put my car on the track.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, I have this theory that you should try out things at least once in your lifetime (as you can probably tell from some of my other activities). While racing per se isn't my gig either, I want to try out the various racetracks we have in our region. I'm not terribly talented at racing and obviously don't have the fastest car, but that doesn't stop me from trying to get at least an idea of what it feels like to go around some of these sacred places.

9. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Meadowdale closed for good in the late 60's, the Monza wall was removed and replaced by a boring curve in 64/65. In the 70's attemps were made to reopen the track but nothing ever came of that, had it been located 10 miles west and the battle with the SCCA never occured we would most likely have a world class track still in operation.

10. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
  11. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Skip,
    Although we are discussing simple non-competitive amateur track driving not full blown racing, I do see your point. This end of the sport can get addictive to some people. An annual maintenance budget can get swallowed up in only a couple of events.
    Most pack-a-day smokers can relate: "I didn't start off smoking a pack-a-day, it was that one cigarette that I tried.....
    Maybe thats why I've held off for so long.
    Dave

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I wouldn't mind taking a few laps around the Track in my 308.(or my 'Vette,for that matter.) But,only easy,higher speed runs,not too fast,and ,no "sliding" to tear up the tires. Are these tracks safe for our street tires? I've never been ON one,except for the time that I raced a '65 Impala on the "Clay Track" at the old Santa Fe speedway.(got 2nd. first time-and last time-out!) But,from watching some NASCAR races,they have mentioned that the asphalt tracks are,or can be,Razor sharp,due to the minimal use on the asphalt in order to Smooth it out. But,maybe thats just for new tracks,and not an issue with older tracks...? But,if they are O.K.,wouldn't mind a few easy laps. As Andreas said,just to say that I did it.(to myself) But,IF I did have an "Incident" would have to be purely "out of Pocket" to fix it,as,like Dave said. Mr Insurance man would have a Heart Attack! And,I'm only paying $145.00 every 6 months through State Farm,for FULL coverage. 100/300 everything. Towing. Road service...the whole 9 yards. And,wouldn't want it to go up! (one of the few Perks of getting older! :) )

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think they are. Blackhawk definitely was (and I bet so is Gingerman). Obviously it's a good idea to have enough rubber left on them. On my day at Blackhawk I don't think I even abused them very much. To my disappointment: I like to get new tires, but there is still too much rubber left on the old ones and I'm too stingy to just throw them away.

Anyway, I didn't restrict myself to non sliding. As a matter of fact I tried to drive the heck out of the car and revved it to about 7,000 rpm, but obviously that's not even really trying as I saw everybody else go by.
    :(

George in his GT/4 (January in the calendar) actually did slide. Scaringly wide. He past me on the outside of a curve (legally as I was slowing and pulling in) sliding over all four tires. And he didn't go off! THAT was some amazing car control and definitely beyond what I tried.

Bottom line: You can have a fun day and get the feeling of actually racing on a track day and probably not even bring your 308 close to its limits.

The only downside is, that you have to leave your pride and ego at home: It is humbling when the newer Ferraris blow by you as if you're parked. And that's not just the driver, the acceleration and braking of these cars is just so much further away from a 20 year old 308. So be prepared for that. Kinda like going to a Concours, you just can't win...