What do you guys do for a living to own Ferrari's at such a young age? | FerrariChat

What do you guys do for a living to own Ferrari's at such a young age?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Z400Central, Dec 24, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Z400Central

Z400Central Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    Hello all!

I have a question, just exactly what do you guys do for a living? I see guys in their 20's/30's driving around in brand new 360's, 575's, etc. So, how do you do it?

Reason im asking is because im young, 17 actually. I would like to know what to do while im still young. I currently own and run a few websites. www.z400central.com as well as www.yfzcentral.com. Running these sites brings in a lot of money for me. WAY more than ever working a real job at this age would do! So im pretty happy with that! :)

Anyways, thank you for answering my questions!

PS: Im located in San Diego. Im a LONG time car enthusiast and am always at Symbolic! Been dying to take a drive in a modern Ferrari! :)

Thanks again!

-Steve C.

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
  3. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Bank robber :)

4. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    best i can tell you is to either stay in school or hope you fall into a good job. im 22 about to turn 23. bought a 79' 308 in january. now the 308 is not a $200k car but i love the older ferrari's and within a year or 2 plan on adding a 91' testarossa to my garage. now i have not dumped my money into one car, but into several toys. i have a couple bikes. a suzuki gsxr600 and a suzuki gsx1300r hayabusa. my ferrari and my highly modded RX-7 turbo. and my truck(daily driver). i spent a year in college as a jock and really got tired of school. so i decided to leave. i worked selling auto parts for a year and a half then fell into a job with my current employer. now 3 years later i am happy as can be at work and moving up the ladder and learning along the way. within 5 years my boss will be leaving and turning over control to me. so i know that with the taking over of a multimillion dollar company and keeping it successfull and growing that much more is to come.

the best advice my boss ever gave was " the perfect job does not exist. you just need to find something you dont mind doing that allows you to do the things you really want to do on your time".

good luck to you and best i can say is to find something you like and stick to it.

5. detailman

detailman Formula Junior

May 26, 2002
    Indiana & South Caro
    Full Name:
    David
    I have been cleaning dirt off other peoples cars for several years and finally got good and fast.

6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Be good at any profession you decide to do, and enjoy it, if you do the money will come.

7. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Organized crime. I work in IT on the side.. could buy a 348 but they don't have the performance I'm looking for to justify the repair bills. Yet. 355 spider is my ideal in the next 5 years. If it doesn't happen then, it won't happen. I'll be saving for something bigger.

8. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c

importer of columbian marching powder.:)

9. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Well I would like to say I got my 550 for being a photographer, but that is untrue, I got it off dotcom stock from a defunct company.

My partial ownership of an F40 (at 22) was from working production on a series of hit films from 92-95 for a studio and also shooting ad campaigns for a few fashion companies. I like the dotcom way better, no work=new 550 @26. I got my beaten 308 at 19 from working at a private beach club in the Hamptons during the summers (since I was 13)and also from cycling races.

My next Ferrari will be coming this spring off a licensing deal related to a TV show I created. Even less work there than the dotcoms. Seems the cheesier the Ferrari, the more work I had to do to get it. So this next one should be a doozie.

10. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Learn to use the archive search? ;)

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Stay unmarried until you're 40. You'll be the happiest and wealthiest SOB alive.

12. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    ... and don't have kids.

13. FTD

FTD Rookie

Nov 19, 2003
    New England, USA
    I do have some well paying investments that I made with spare change at 18. I had enough return to buy a 348ts new in 1992 when I was 29, but I admit I was way too immature to drive one with out killing myself in a crash. I got a '91 348ts last spring at 39. It was my dream car.

14. mr. green

mr. green Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    MAKE GLASS DILDOES

15. SRT-10

SRT-10 Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    Greater Boston
    Get married and have kids right out of college and by the time your 40 you will be hen-pecked and miserable..... but you'll have a great family and you still may make a lot of money. :)

Happy Holidays!

16. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I'm a recently retired professional bicycle racer. While I was racing, I got my MBA during the parts of the year where I didn't have to travel. Finished that when I was 24. After that I did pretty well racing overseas and that got me started financially but in the last couple years of racing, I started to do some business projects on the side. Those were very sucessful. I shattered my pelvis in a crash in 2002, and instead of retiring after the surgery to put me back together I did months of rehab to get back on the bike in a few months so that I wouldn't lose my Olympic qualifying points. Then at the Central American and Caribbean Games in El Salvador one year ago, I got pneumonia that left me with some scarring in my lungs. After a while it became obvious that my lungs were not going to get better by Athens so I retired and stepped in full time to my business ventures. I have been looking for a 355 or 360 for several months now and just found a good one that I will pick up in a couple of weeks.

Oh, and I have some connections in Colombia that help with the cash flow :)

17. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Z400,
    You are already on the right track. You are doing your own thing. Take it from me, I am self made, i owned two corporations at 31 and I am now 33. I just sold my M3 conv. and bought my first 355spider. Do not listen to the people who tell you to study and get a good job. Working for someone else will never make you rich(very rarely). You need to own your own business and one that you love. It already looks like you are doing that. I checked out your sites, very cool. I have a raptor myself. Most of the guys on this site that own their own f-cars, and all the rich guys I know in general, own their own businesses. Read a book called, Rich Dad Poor Dad, first thing. He is a very wise man. Good Luck.

18. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I'm a used car manager at a Chrysler Dodge dealership. It's not easy and the hours suck but the pay is pretty good. Good luck to you! :)

19. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    As for - "stay unmarried until you're 40" and "don't have kids"....

I totally disagree. We're married 11 years (together for 17). I have my car fun and never an issue with the family. I have plenty of gear head friends who could say the same.

Find a level-headed, understanding woman who accepts your needs and then understand her needs too. Then be prepared to give and take. Focus on getting a good education/skill and a career or business, and start investing EARLY.

You really can do whatever you want if you do it TOGETHER, plan well, work your ass off, and think level-headed. My wife bought me my first Porsche 911 (used, of course) after we got married at 24. She had just gotten her first job and I was still in grad school - and no, we were not rich or getting any financial help from anybody. In fact, I grew up a poor inner city kid and we have always been on our own financially.

At your age, I would focus on acquiring education, a marketable skill and growing a business. Establish a stable and communicative relationship once you find "the one", and the "stuff" will come along the way. Remember - nice cars, etc. are just trimmings on the tree of life - make sure the roots and the branches are stable. Sounds like you're already off to a good start though so keep up the good work!

20. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Steve, with what you have going on now, you can easily build your business. The most important things that helped me are:

1) Always be honest and ethical
    2) Treat everyone with respect. If you don't think that everyone deserves respect then understand that you never know who they might know or be related to.
    3) Keep in touch with all of your important contacts
    4) Help people wherever you can. It comes back in spades.

21. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Well said sherp and shan. Great points. I own two companies and the thing I stress most with all of our employees is how they treat our patients and how they interact with the community in general. We just did 2 toy drives and a food drive for two needy families, and that was really touching to see those families when we delivered all the gifts and food. Brings tears to my eyes. The Ferraris are great and having money is nice but being a good person and an honest business man gives me more satisfaction than anything else. When you put those things together with alot of hard work, you will go far.

22. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I I am a law student and own a 1985 308QV.

Ken

23. 92verdescuro348ts

Dec 14, 2003
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    My 348 was a gift to my wife and I from an in-law who had a 328, 348 and 360 among the Ferrari's in his collection. Since I was not blood, I was given the last choice between the 328 and 348. The 348 needed a new fly wheel and clutch and 15k service, so guess I got the one that came with a hefty bill. Not to fret, my lovely wife can not drive a stick and has no desire to learn. So at the age of 28 we had a beautiful and rare metallic green Ferarri 348. That was five years ago and owning that car has been one of the best things. I have used it for charity rides with the make a wish foundation. Which I highly reccomened you fellow owners do. They can use you and your car to transport a ill child to and from a special event. Really a cool way to give back.

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    This question has come up before, and probably will again. You don't have to be a single rich guy with gold chains to own a Ferrari. (A Lambo maybe, but not a Ferrari.)

I have found that the happiest people in life are those who follow their obsessions, whatever they may be. How you live your life depends on your priorities. If you really want a Ferrar, you'll get one. It may not be a 250 GTO, but you'll get one.

This is true even if you are like Jordan who wants to be cellist in a rock 'n roll band. Now, I don't know, but my guess is that cellists don't become millionaires. However, if I was a betting man, I'd give you odds that Jordan will become the cellist of his dreams AND own a Ferrari some day.

Conversely, some of the most miserable people I have ever met are those who obsess only about making money. The problem with having money as an obsession is that you can't win. No matter how big a dog you become, there's always an even bigger dog waiting for you down the sidewalk.

It sounds like you have made a good start on discovering what makes you rock. Keep on keeping on, and you'll do well.

Happy Holidays to all, and to all a good night, particularly to our relatives, friends, and neighbors who are serving in our armed forces around the world.

DrTax

25. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

1) Pimp

2) Sold a bunch of tech stocks short when all the fools were still buying in early 2000

3) Worked my arse off: Was in various roles of sales & marketing for most of my career, and religiously saved as much of my commission checks as I could; then, when I entered the "senior management" (or mismanagement...) ranks, saved any bonuses that I earned