If person has your phone # they can get map to your house. | FerrariChat

If person has your phone # they can get map to your house.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Lloyd, Dec 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    Google now has a search feature where you can key in a 10-digit phone number and it will display the name and address - and a map - associated with it. While this reverse lookup has long been available on other pages such as Verizon's Superpages , I believe there are privacy and security issues related to this feature. With caller ID, this means that anyone who has your phone number can easily and quickly find your home.

You have the option of removing this feature related to your own phone numbers from both www.google.com and www.superpages.com On Google, look up your number by keying it into the main search bar, then click on the phone icon to the left of your name, and follow the link at the bottom of the PhoneBook section (just above "Similar pages") to the removal request. Hint: Copy your name as it appears on the lookup and paste it into the name field.

On Superpages, select People Pages (center of the red bar), then Reverse Lookup at the bottom center of the yellow section, look up your phone number, and select Remove at the lower right section of your lookup. You'll have to complete a short, free registration to remove your entry.

There are other reverse lookups out there such as on MSN www.msn.com White Pages where you can at least delete your street address and www.anywho.com which will tell you the names and phone numbers of all your neighbors but have yet to find a way to let you delete your own entry.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I remember our small town had a version of the phone book with the numbers in order so you could do a reverse look-up. This was back in the 80's.

3. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Doesn't work on our cell phone numbers - and those are the only numbers we have :) One more reason to dump the landline.

4. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    As well, its not up to date. Not sure where they are getting there info from, but my parents old land line when they lived in San Jose is still shown. That number is over 2.5 years old. And the address is not even correct......

R

5. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I'm with agent smith. Cell phones are the way to go. I use cell phones and company land lines. NO personal land lines.