What do you think this 328 is worth? | FerrariChat

What do you think this 328 is worth?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Battman2, Dec 24, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Battman2

Battman2 Rookie

Dec 23, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI, USA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Hello All,

I looked at a 1986 Black 328 today and was wondering if I could get some opinions of it's value. I'll try to describe it as best as possible, but let me know if there are any questions. Thanks in advance, Happy Holidays, Battman

1986 Ferrari 328GTS
    - Black/Tan w/tan dash pad
    - 42k Miles
    - s/n 61495
    - Current owner is 3rd owner
    - Clean car-fax
    - All books/tools/receipts
    - Car is located a few hours north of Ft. Lauderdale, FL...belts/tune up done 8 months ago in Lauderdale at a place that services ferrari's (I need to get the name/no to give them a call).
    - Also during service, new dist cap, new air cond compressor and recharge, new tires, cam seals done, valves adjusted
    - Good compression test
    - New paint in 2001...looks pretty good - but could stand to be buffed.
    - New clutch, T/O bearing, pressure plate in 2001 or so...
    - New Alternator in 2001
    - Car is regularly used
    - no visible leaks on car or diveway
    - starts well/easily
    - Car drives well, suspension is tight - it even went into second gear pretty easily :)

Issues:
    - Drivers side light does not line up perfectly (only a perfectionist would notice this)
    - interior shows wear of an 18 year old car...nothing really bad, but could stand some carpets and leather dye or replacement of both
    - some overspray from the paint job - nothing serious
    - license place light lenses are cracked/broken

Due to the location of this car (far from any big dealer/city) and all the recent work, I'm pondering not doing a PPI...thoughts on this? (let me get my flame suit on). The current owner is asking $45k...He is a fellow enthusiast and I'm not looking to rip him off, just make sure we agree to a fair price. All help is appreciated!

2. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Just for reference, I sold my 89 328 last April. It had 33K miles, fresh major service. Only draw back was the color, white/red. Car was very clean and nearly perfect condition. Sold for $44K. If it had been red/tan I would have gotten over $50. I think this car you are looking at should be in the range of $38-42K. I'm curious why it needed a repaint? If taken care of, paint should last. By the way, I got my 328 for $40K. You are taking a risk not getting a PPI. I have done that however and lucked out. Just be aware of the possible issues. Good luck, the 328 is a great car! I loved mine, my 348 is fun but I miss the classic lines of the 328. Just my opinion.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Issues:
    - Drivers side light does not line up perfectly (only a perfectionist would notice this) Headlight or fog light? Is this maybe from an accident (repaint also)?

- interior shows wear of an 18 year old car...nothing really bad, but could stand some carpets and leather dye or replacement of both. Ebay $99 mats, a bottle of Leatherique makes a big difference.

- some overspray from the paint job - nothing serious. On what? metal should buff out, cloth, leather may be tougher.

- license place light lenses are cracked/broken. On Ebay all the time and dealer can get them.

So, my opinion is that the issues are not too severe. Being that it is not coming from a FNA dealer, I would definitly get the PPI. You would not have any recourse if something is bad.

Being a 1986, the price is on the high end. I paid around that for a 1989, which seems to demand more than the other years.

But it has had a lot of recent service on major items, which is good. You wouldn't have to repair/replace those in a while. Driven a lot is good in my opinion.

Bottom line, be aware that there is a chance that something could go wrong (as with any used car). But it looks like you may have found a good starting point. See if you can come down some on the price. If not, is the car worth that to you? Might be. You probably will find some other little things that need fixed. Check all the lights, heater, A/C, latches buttons, knobs, radio, antenna, etc.

At least you are getting the right color.

5. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Battman, are you sure there's nobody near him to do the PPI? A few hours north of Ft. Lauderdale puts you in the Orlando/Daytona/Jacksonville triangle, and I know they have exotics up there. Anyway, it's sounding like his $45K asking price is your absolute maximum. Lately, it seems like most 328s are listed at or around $42.5K. That's probably what he's shooting for.

6. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    $36-$37k

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  8. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    $38-40 max. PPI a must. Verify the major (belt) service. Good luck.

9. Battman2

Battman2 Rookie

Dec 23, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI, USA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Thanks for all the quick replies!

To answer a few questions that Mule asked: The mis-aligned light is the drivers side headlamp. it sits slightly below flush with the rest of the hood (in the front). The current owner has no knowledge of accidents and points to the clean carfax, but it's hard to be sure. He thinks it was repainted because the 2nd owner just wanted it to be perfect (get rid of road chips, etc.). But again, hard to really know.

On the overspray - it was in the area behind the passenger door - then air vent that leads to the engine. Nothing too serious, and actually hard to notice.

Does anyone have a good suggestion of how to get a service person and a car together? I'd love to have a PPI, but I'm not sure that anyone would be willing to drive their car several hours, wait a day and then drive it home with the hopes that some guy 'might' buy the car.

I should probably also mention that this is the owner's second f-car (he had a '79 308) so at least has some experience...and he's selling the 328 to get a 360. One of my few concerns is that he bought the car, had a lot of work done to it and and is re-selling it all in about 10 months...seems pretty quick. But he says he really wants a 360...hard to blame a guy for that :)

Again, thanks for all the comments/replies...Battman

10. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The Headlamp can be adjusted in 5-10 minutes to sit at the proper height - Just make sure to unplug the battery first as the light motor is pretty strong and can cut your finger clean off (I have heard this from 2 people so far) so be careful! Just shoot me an email if you get the car & I can take photos of what to adjust.

11. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Scott,

Your numbers (and everyone elses) all seem to be in the same general ballpark +- 5k or so, but has anyone seen the guy who's listing his 328 in Ferrari ads and he's asking 72.5 k for it ? I suspect he's just fishing for someone without any knowledge of the marketplace who's just dumb enough to bite.

12. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I'm not sure who you're talking about, but if it's yellow and has GTO seats, I'm sure it's the one I'm thinking of.

If so, it's a one-off alloy bodied car.

13. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I have an 89 328GTS red/black with 41K Miles that looks like a 10K Miles car. No Paint, no story, no overspray no nothing.

30K done in 2000 and has been driven since only 2000 Miles.

I will blow out this car at my cost $ 45,000.

Take into consideration that the 89 has ABS, 2.5Motronic and all the nice upgrades.

A 86 in the 40s is absurd. Especially with paint work.

Buy my 89 and you will be MORE than happy. The car comes from a collection.

www.4Ferrari.com
    Martin
    305-867-7740

14. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Could be, color's right, but he doesn't mention anyting about it being a one-off car. Ad simply says Yellow/Black, 2900 miles. serial # 81648 along with papers, tools, etc.

Sorry, not trying to change the thread from the initial posting...

15. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Martin, you had another "no stories", "perfect" 328 you were offering earlier this summer... sounds like you're getting your hands on some great cars!

16. theo-m

theo-m Rookie

Dec 26, 2003
    Check Ebay today. It would appear that there are three great 328's being auctioned at this time. I am hot on the trail of one of them. I sometimes wish that people would just say what they need to buy the car and get on with it.
    The frustrated negotiator.

17. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    What 328 ever came from the factory with motronic engine management? Last I looked under my 89's hood it had K jetronic and Marelli ignition.

DAve

18. Battman2

Battman2 Rookie

Dec 23, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI, USA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Again, I really appreciate all of the replies to my original post!

Hey Martin, I also really appreciate the heads up...sounds like a good car, but I have my heart set on black. Thanks though!

19. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I would take a very hard look at the car. 1st you're dealing with an owner that has only owned this car for a short period of time, and appears to have dropped a few nickels into the car during this period. 2nd there is overspray in a few areas of the car, with current owner having no details on the work. Overspray is a classic sign of half-azz paint work. Ironic story that 2nd owner had repaint due to wanted it perfect, yet overspray, misaligned headlamp, and needs to be buffed out. Nice part is you're dealing with black, which shows everything. Should check for sand scratches, etc. 3rd there is the misaligned headlight. This could just need adjustment, or along with the paint work indicate there's more to this story, and possibly the result of worse damage. I wouldn't rely on Carfax not showing anything.

Interior is no big deal. Especially given the color, miles, and fragile nature of Ferrari leather. Nothing a re-dye and new carpets can't fix.

Any receipts for previous work? This sounds like a car that needs a PPI.

From your description it sounds like a 35-38K car.

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Check it out under fluorescent lighting - courtesy of a gas station, at night, if at all possible - night falls early this time of year. Why? Fluorescent lighting will really bring out the details.

21. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Dave,
    you may be right here.
    For some reason I had the 89 328s with the 2.5 in my head. I am sure I have seen one like it, may have been after the fact though.

89s are still the best of the 328s so doubt about that.

22. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Quite understandable, as March of '89 saw re-mapped Bosch Motronic M2.5 used in Mondial t & September of '89 the 348 was introduced with the 2.5.

Therefore, '89 & 2.5 would stick in one's mind.
    -
    To wit - how easy "transfer" occurs is on a recent vintage thread where I read one thing, and "transferred" it to another:
    275 GTB/4 Alloy

Alloy and ten (10) are the key words. They stuck in my mind and I made my since acknowledged gaffe.
    This unconscious process eventually blanked out the GTB as my tunnel-vision was on Alloy and ten (10). I was looking at 275 info on qv500.com - and after salivating at the top picture of the GTB, scrolled to the bottom and saw that only 2 of the 10 models summarized were alloy - without noting that this index was composed primarily of GTS.

Bottom line by way of example:
    Easy oversight on my part and/or Martin's and/or anybody else's means we learn sumpin' new every day.

23. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    yep,
    that must be it. 89 was also the T and the 348.

Thanks for the heads up there wax. :)

24. Battman2

Battman2 Rookie

Dec 23, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI, USA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Wanted to repond to Norms questions and post a few other details...again, this forum is awsome! Thanks so much to everyone for the advice and support!

Hey Norm - regarding the paint, I talked to the owner again about it. He agreed that it was a little suspicious, and said he had the same reservations too. I did see the receipt for a $7800 paint job. The overspray is inside the vent behind the door on some black plastic that sort of has an undercoating like texture to it to begin with. You can only tell there is overspray because the paint is more shiny there. Regarding the buffing...The current owner tells me he doesn't wax the car - and I believe him. It's not in horrible shape by any means, but has the look (and feel) of a car that needs some buffing (or at minimum some wax). The owner also offered me the name of the shop that painted the car...which I havn't talked to yet.

As many of you saw from a sister post to this one, I'm trying to get in touch with Tim Stanford who worked on the car.

At this point, my feeling is that the car is certainly not a 10...but a driver's car - which is what I want. I really appreciate everyone's comments about the price. If it comes to it, I hope the current owner agrees! :) Thanks again!

25. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    From what I have learned it seems 40 is about right for this car. Good luck.