328: What is the wiring in the seat for? | FerrariChat

328: What is the wiring in the seat for?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by GrigioGuy, Dec 24, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    A while back I unbolted the seats in my car and noticed electrical wires running from the seats to the console. I thought it odd, but went ahead with what I was doing and then buttoned everything back again.

This winter I'm going to be doing some interior work. What are those wires and what do they connect to? I'm going to have to remove them to get the seats out.

Surely someone's dealt with this. Slag?

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Hey Tillman-

The wires don't sound like they are original. I found a whole bunch of wires that didn't belong when gutting my interior - Old phone wires, rear speaker wires, old alarm wires, old CD changer, etc. On the console are the fans, heat, antenna, parking lights, rear defogger - I can't think of any reason to have wires going to the seats. The only thing close to the seats that I can think of are wires going to the seat belts - Female end. Can you try to trace them to see where they are going or take some pics?

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Well, the seats are back in now, so I'll shoot pics when I take them back out. What I was seeing on both seats were wires running from under the edge of the console to under the seats and into the bottom seat pad from underneath.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My car had a micro switch in the seat, for emissions control(????) or something to do with starting the car. Would not start without someone sitting in the seat! Fuel pump circuit was interuptted, if I recall.
    I'll pull out my manual and do some reading over the holidays!

5. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You are probably looking at the wires that control the "seatbelt" warning light. The system basically compares seat occupancy (weight compressing the seat cushion) with a buckled seat belt. No big deal, most of these cars seem to have had the system disabled long ago.

6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    While some (esp US marque) cars had pressure sensors in the pass seat to disable the seat belt warning if there wasn't someone in the pass seat, the 328 wiring diagram doesn't show any wires to the seats. (The belt warning is for driver's side only.)

Most likely, a previous owner had put "subwoofer" speakers in the seats for the stereo. Under the seats is also a popular place to mount an amplifier for the stereo. Your wires would probably be aftermarket wires running up to the in-dash control head for the stereo. (Or for a previous stereo.)

I've had the seats out of my early '88, and there are no wires to my seats.

7. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    The wires on the older 308's had a pressure switch under the drivers seat only that controlled the fuel pump. It wouldn't run unless your butt was in the seat. They discontinued the idea sometime after mine was built in 1798

8. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't think they made 308's in 1798 come to think of it.

Correction "1978"

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    The ones made in 1798 were the really collectible steam powered models that had no emissions controls at all and they really went like...locomotives!

10. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    With the CIS cars, the "safety switch" was moved to the AFM. If the plate returns to zero air flow, the fuel pump is shut off (via two relays).

It can now be revealed! The "duel" was a cover-up. Alexander Hamilton was killed in a street racing incident! (Film at 11)

"Too Fast, Too Furious, Two Wooden Dentures!"

11. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    maybe someone put in a heat pad, NICE IDEA!!

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Well, I chased the wiring today and found out they were for.....nothing at all!

The wiring ran from a pressure pad in the bottom of one seat, through the console and into a pressure pad in the bottom of the other seat. The wiring didn't connect to anything else, and there were no unconnected connectors.

Wierd. I just yanked it all out. Next up is taking out the alarm system.

13. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    strange! I pulled out my old alarm wiring also - I messed up the ignition wiring - Luckily throttleman from f-chat was able to wire it back up right. :)

14. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    So does that mean that you had to have two people in the car to keep the fuel pump running, or you could slip over to the passenger seat if you had long legs and arms and you got tired of driving from the left side?