Super crashes page | FerrariChat

Super crashes page

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Matt LaMotte, Nov 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Some very graphic videos. Not for those with a weak stomach.

2. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I fight myself on things like this. I'm not a gore-monger, and I don't think that site tries to over-sensationalize. A part of me feels there's an importance to remembering the tragic, especially in today's sanitizing society. Each time I watch a fatal accident, my stomach sinks.

I've always been into photography, and have appreciated its historical significance. This reminds me a little bit of the time immediately after 9/11. I wanted to find a video record with all the footage on it, to keep as a historical record for myself. I, like most others, have specific sensations burned into my memory from that day. You could almost sense the feeling of "we'll show it to you now, and then it'll never be seen again" when airing it.

There's no real respectful way to review something like this. Just as long as we don't forget about these brave drivers who lost their lives along the way.

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I've never seen the video of Senna's death until now. :(

4. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Yeah it's a pretty high impact crash. I doubt he ever felt a thing. I wish he was still around today just to hear his comments on todays racers.

5. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I didn't know there was a video of the gonzalo rodriquez crash.Damn it was bad too.I saw Greg Moore's live and it was horrible.It was also the highest G load every recorded in a crash at that time.

6. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Motor-
    Amazing Save

Amazing save clip is AMAZING!

7. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Tom Pryce's 1977 crash is just horrible. :( I wonder what made the marshals think it was ok to run to the other car.

I pray that these incidents serve as reminders to us just how dangerous racing in general can be when taken for granted. Please be careful...

8. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    "

Yeah...makes you think twice when speeding.

9. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I saw that wreck from the quick and the dead but I didn't realize until today that the driver of the car was killed as well. I thought only the marshall was killed.It was a perilous period in auto racing.

10. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Moore's was the most violent wreck I've ever seen anywhere. Sickening...

11. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    According to the book "Countdown to a Grand Prix", Tom Pryce was struck in the face by the 20 pound fire extinguisher carried by the track marshal, with enough force to catapult the extinguisher over the top of the main grandstand. I haven't seen the video, and don't want to see it.

12. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I was shocked about Gilles Villeneuve. You can actually see him flying out of the wreck and into the fence. Very sad.

13. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    The fire crashes make it so more visible that during track events EVERYBODY should wear a fire suit and fire protection.

We had some club fires before and the suit can save your life in an inferno. It gives you the extra seconds to get out..

14. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    First time I've ever seen the crash that killed Greg Moore. Contrast that with how hard Jimmy Johnson hit the wall at Watkins Glen.

I was starting to be a big fan of Greg Moore when he passed.

15. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    all links are dead

16. mr. green

mr. green Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    CAN YOU HEAR ME

17. outrider

outrider Rookie

Aug 2, 2004

I have to say I think Senna's crash LOOKED mild compared to others where the whole car has been twisted catapulted and torn to bits and the drivers walk away. I had just gotten into indie car and was routing for him and montoya but when i saw him crash and then montoya went to F1 and ive not watched indy since. I was gutted cos I used to watch the way he clawed his way through the pack in a lot of races, I actually missed him since and indy lost its sheen for me.

18. poe kaz

poe kaz Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Brady
    i saw senna's crash was when speed showed it on f1 decade last spring

19. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Not really (relatively speaking).

Even with 1994 safety standards being nothing close to how they are now, Senna's crash was still completely survivable.

He hit the wall at 190kmph at an angle of around 60 degrees. The driver compartment remained fully intact, and Senna suffered no broken bones as a result of the impact.

What killed him was a piece of the front right suspension flying up into his visor spearing him just above the right eyebrow; a total fluke occurance (as this had never happened before, and has never happened since).

Even though this object had penetrated his skull and damaged the front of his brain, he was still technically alive (as the frontal lobe is not required for basic life functions) and in a deep coma.

He only died when they pulled the plug from the life support machines in hospital when they realised that there was almost no chance of him recovering.

20. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    It's interesting you should mention that, because when Jos Verstappen's car was engulfed in flames at Hockenheim in 1994, he said that while sitting in the inferno his visor had begun to melt... the fire was that intense! Despite this, it was put out in about 10 seconds and Verstappen escaped without any burns.

There is no doubt that his fire-retardent clothes saved him from serious injury or death.

Also fire-related, look at Berger's accident at Imola in 1989. I think the video is posted on the website above; definately take a look! It's interesting because he crashed at Tamburello (where Senna died) except this time Berger went off into the wall at closer to 300kmph. The car slid to a stop before the fuel tanks (surrounding the car in those days) burst into flames. Forntunately again, his safety gear and quick response from fire units saved his life.

Here is a link with details and photos of both accidents, and some of the other most noteable Formula 1 accidents in the last 20 years.

http://www.f1rogues.com/index.php?pOption=retrocrashinvestigator&pLang=EN&pCatagoryId=11

Below are photos of Verstappen's 1994 pitlane accident.