Tubi or not Tubi | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tubi or not Tubi

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Bob308GTS, Dec 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    That sounds like a plan, i ordered it already from the place Andreas suggested, one of the sponsors here on F-Chat, HGPARTS. I am still waiting to hear back from them on the shipping cost and delivery time.

OK, then should i wait to put the Tubi on when the weather gets nice? I don't want to drive it on these streets with salt. Continental is going to bring thier enclosed trailer to pick my car up for the major service and then bring it back when finished, i don't think Ed has that service, so maybe i will wait till spring time to have Ed put the Tubi on? Or a nice sunny day when the streets are dry and salt free???? I also have a friend that has a Maserati shop with a lift too, how hard could it be to put a tubi on ???? hmmmm?????

2. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Hello Tod328gts,

just saw your post and wanted to let you know, that my friend HEIKO from HGPARTS here in Germany is on a business trip. He is in Dubai, V.A.E. since Sunday,21.December till the first week of Janauary. So he can not answer your request. Please wait till he is back and I`m sure he will answer/or call you a.s.a.p. You can trust in him, he is a great & serious guy.

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

3. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Tod328GTS,

Wait until spring, it's not that far away (hopefully). This will give you the time to decide if you want to do the job yourself. It also means that the first drive can be done with all the windows down in comfort.

I'll bet that Bob remembers hearing my car go by him out in the farmlands of N. Ill., the Tubi is worth the money.

Happy holidays, everyone
    Norm

4. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Norm, that sound from your 512TR was better than great!!!!!!

But I still can't bring myself to pay that much for a muffler

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Oh,yeah!!! Gotta agree with that. I was behind a Black TR in Scottsdale,AZ. last year that had a Tubi. Damn! did that sound beautiful!!! Do the 8 cylinder cars sound that good with a Tubi?

6. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    On my carbed 308, I have a custom system a PO had made up, it uses a Walker DynaMax and Ansa tips and no cats. Sounds good from inside the car, have never heard it except at idle outside.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Having followed your car, I can attest it sounds great from the outside too. Heck I even heard it while my own engine was running. That's how loud it is. Best of all: The fuel fumes coming from it. No kidding.

8. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Bob, from this note is seems that you've already achieved the sound, now the decision for you is the cost of a Tubi worth it for the looks- on a 308 the muffler is low and behind the engine, and not easy to see. It might not be worth it for something you need to be on your hands and knees to admire.

512TR, on the other hand, it's right behind the engine, and up high- a great view with the rear deck open.

Norm

9. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Wolfarossa, Thanks for letting me know that Heiko is out of town, i was wondering why i hadden't heard back from them, but thanks, i'll wait to hear from him after the first is fine. I'm planning on myself going to some warmer climate myself, have a few freinds down in southern Florida that i'm going to visit for the next couple weeks..

I was hoping to get an enclosed trailer and take the 328 with, but that didn't happen this time... :(

Norm,

Thanks for the input, i will probably wait for the spring, doing it now in a cold garage doesn't sound like a good time. Plus, maybe when it gets warmer out, maybe i'll do a before and after sound test, stock exhaust, then Tubi exhaust... I saw a post on the old chat board that someone had did that, interesting.....

I remember our cruises here, when we had any where from 5 to 10 of us Ferraris in a line and at certain RPMs the sound was phonominal!! It sounded like Ferrari music to our ears... :) Imagine how the Tubi will help that.... :)

Tod

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Tod. There is a Trailer place on the North West corner of St.Charles Rd. and Addison Rd. Lombard or VillaPark. They have a bunch of enclosed trailers sitting outside. Not sure if they are for Rent,or For Sale. But,you could check it out.

11. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Tod
    My 2 cents.
    On the Tubi: I had an ANSA. Heard the Tubi, imagined all those F1 headers, and did a deal with Randy at Continental to get one. Sound is great. Gary Reed used to have a .wav file from a dyno run on his QV with a Tubi. See if he still has it. The sound is outstanding, highly emotional. Material and quality of construction of the Tubi is fabulous. Fitment was easy except I needed to get some stainless mounting hardware fabricated (original stuff had long since disappeared when the ANSA was installed).

On buying/installing at Continental: I've had a lot of work done to my car by Continental and recommend them too. Having said that, the Tubi install is very easy, why not do it yourself? If you want to have Continental do it, ask a couple of sources for a price. Then ask Randy if he can match it. As a "good" customer, he'll often help you out, particularly on the older cars. Anyway, if he gets close, I'd give him the business. If not, order it from somewhere else. Either way, have Continental put it on if you want -- they'll be making plenty of money on the major and as long as the install is routine (most are, some models aren't) the install shouldn't be expensive.
    Philip

12. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Thanks Phillip for your 2 cents.

Thats what i was going to do, ask around see what it will cost for installation of a tubi. Then, while my car is at Continental for it's major, i will see what they can do for me there. If it seems too much all around, i may just tackle it myself in the spring.

I just hope i don't upset too many neighbors with a Tubi... :)

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Tubi, or not tubi: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler for the car to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outraged neighbors,
    Or to take cares against a sea of troubles,
    And by blowing engine? To die: to sleep;
    No more: and by a sleep to say we spend
    The heart-ache and the thousand dollar shocks
    That ride is heir to, 'tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
    To sleep: perchance to scream: ay, there's wax rub;
    For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
    When we have shuffled off this motor oil,
    Must give us pause: there's the respect
    That makes Ferraris of so long life;
    For who would bear the whips and turns of Lime,
    The muffler's wrong, the proud man's got tubi,
    The pangs of cavity-search glove, the law's delay,
    The insolence of office and the spurns
    That patient merit of the unworthy makes,
    When he himself might his quiet love make
    With a bare woman? who would fart smells beaver,
    To grunt and sweat under a weary wife,
    But that the dread of something morning breath,
    The Italian country from car bourn
    No traveller returns, puzzles the will
    And makes us rather bear those ills we have
    Than post to others that we know not of?
    Thus conscience does make stewards of us all;
    And thus the Rossa hue of resolution
    Is F-Chatted o'er with the pale cast of thought,
    And enterprises of great cars and comment
    With this regard their currents turn awry,
    And lose the name of action.--Start you now!
    The fair Ferrari! Scream, in thy horizons
    Be all my wins remember'd.