If Your Ferrari Could Say to you for the 2004 Season...Take Me On A Special Drive !! | FerrariChat

If Your Ferrari Could Say to you for the 2004 Season...Take Me On A Special Drive !!

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Dave Bendl, Dec 19, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    If your Ferrari could say "Take me on a special drive!"...where would it say it wanted to go in 2004?
    Would it take you on an overnight drive? or just for a day?
    What sights would it like you to see ?
    Would it take you beyond the borders of the midwest ?
    Would you be happy to oblige?

2. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Real good question Dave, my first thought is the 308 would love to take 2 laps at Monaco. But back to the real world, will have to think on this.

3. Michael RPM

Michael RPM Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    This past fall we took some Lambos for an overnight trip to House on the Rock in Wisconsin. There were some GREAT roads throughout the entire trip.

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,I've been wanting to take a road trip on as much of whats left of old Route 66. And,what better car than in my Ferrari. I'm Low maintenance,(as you've all witnessed) and don't need a whole lot of luggage space. Whats in the Ferrari is enough. Hey,if they could travel Route 66 in a '62 'Vette,why not a Ferrari 308. Would like to take my time...a week or so (out),and go out to Phoenix to see all of my relatives. Maybe,even go on to L.A. for a couple days,then to Vegas,then back down to Phoenix. But,this is not possible for me,now,as I have such a bad back and severe Arthritis. I am planning on having Back Surgery in January,and,maybe...HOPEFULLY...it will take away enough of my pain to do it! I've got nothing but time on my hands,so,why not!? I think it would be a great trip. But,realistically,right now. I have an old Buddy that owns a Resort on a Lake up in Eagle River,Wisconsin. I haven't seen this guy for 32 years. It would be a nice drive up,see him,and stay for 3 or 4 days,then come back.

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    But,on a smaller scale. If anyone would like to join me,I am planning on doing as much driving this year that I can. I was thinking of driving West on I-88 out to the Mississippi River,and having lunch. Then,maybe take some lesser used State highways,say,Route 20 (Lake St.,here) back. Or whatever else we can find. Drive up to Galena. Maybe some Wisconsin drives. Milwaukee Zoo. Then,Lunch somewhere in old German Town,or Polish Town in Milwaukee. Could take a drive East on U.S. 30,through Indiana to Auburn,to the Automobile Museum. Or,for a shorter drive. North on RT.12 to the Volo Auto Museum. And,or to Lake Geneva for Lunch. Lots of great possibilities! I also like to drive North on Sheridan Rd. all the way up the IL. WI. border.Through all those great,curvy Ravinious stretches of Road. Then,West on WI.HWY.50 and have Lunch at the good ol' Brat Stop. Just a few suggestions.

6. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Michael,
    Did this trip include a stop at Popeye's Restaurant Lake Geneva ? Apparently the the lambo guys made a real impression on the parking lot attendent there. He tells us about it when we stop for lunch with our Ferrari's.
    How were the parking accommodations at House on the Rock? Did you have a special parking stable?
    Dave

7. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #7 Dave Bendl, Dec 20, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Frank,
    I like the idea of a Rt 66/Mississipi River drive north to Galena. I have talked to some others about this and it might be a really cool route. Some other thoughts I had was to head north along the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. If you have ever been over there it's a different world. Here's a pic of my car with Roger Starring's Testarosa on Lake Michigan's eastern shore during the Ferrari List's Gumball Charity Drive.
    Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan
    Try Highway F between Twin Lakes and Paddock Lake, WI. Just a short stretch of theraputic curves a little North of the IL/WI border.

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think my 308 would say "Take me to Pebble Beach and annoy the hell out of the purists!".
    :)

Trying to be more diplomatic, I'd rather see a more quiet drive around the lower half of Lake Michigan, take the ferry across and hit Gingerman race track along the way. Including some wine tasting in Michigan. But that's just me.

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hi,Dave.Yes,my Grandmother tells me stories about when they used to go on a trip,"around the Lake" (Michigan) several times in her younger days. My Grandfather,who now lives in Greenfield,WI. (By Milwaukee) was originally from Wakefield,UP Michigan. (Granny lives in Phoenix) But,she told me that it was a fun trip,driving around the Lake. And,one year,they went in Spring,so that they could drive through Holland,MI. during the Tulip festival. I always wanted to replicate that trip. And,with a group of Ferrari's,would be even cooler.

11. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    There have been some very good suggestions made to this thread that could easily be made into reality making (2-3) 2004 season group drives.

1. A western Illinois drive including Rt 66 and a northern route following the Mississipi River to Galena then return to Chicago. The way I figure, this should be at least an overnight trip. An additional 3rd day would be necessary to accompany a "House on the Rock" visit.

2. The eastern shore of Lake Michigan via ferry service one way, or round trip depending on the ferry schedule. We would need to check their 2004 schedule, and make sure there won't be any loading/unloading issues with regard to ground clearance. This trip would be best as an overnighter as well. I would assume the ferry ride itself would take at least 2-3 hours. We could include Blackhawk on this drive or even a visit to Tubi in Holland. June would be a really good month to catch the Tulip festival.

3. A group drive to House on the Rock combined with the first drive, or separate. Another option could be Devils Lake, WI.

To plot these drives, it would be good to know how long you would feel comfortable behind the wheel per day. I would say no more than 3-4 hours of driving to allot for fuel/rest stops, meals, sight seeing, and photo shoots. I have made a 12 hr/600 mile road trip with my previously owned Mondial and current 308 GTS. This didn't allow time for other
    activities.
    Frank, get that back in shape for the upcoming driving season.

Dave

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    All great suggestions Dave. My fav is #2 altough I would make the pitstop at Gingerman, not Blackhawk. Love the idea about the tulips.

Karen would come along on these trips, so not driving forever is a wise idea (besides I hate driving for too long myself, even in a Ferrari), so 4 hours would be my max per day. I have done longer drives in the past (in non Ferraris), but then it becomes more of a chore than a pleasure. Many foto stops and sight seeing are a must. So yes, I would make a trip with the ferry an overnighter.

The house on the rock wouldn't allow for a good photo op, wouldn't it? I prefer events, where the cars can be shown with the location.

13. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Ok Guys,

I'm game for all those drives, but now, it's going to seem like a long time till it gets nice out to do those drives....

I would say, we need to take nice scenic routes, we need to get some camera men, maybe if Sean's can is in the shop, that would work good there... ;) Then get a lot of video at different angles and different shots throughout the drive and then put together a nice DVD with just our Ferrari's on drives and have some music playing in the background, until i pass the camera with my Tubi rouring by.... :)

Then we can have a nice DVD next year along with our 2005 calender... :) Sean can do some of that magic with the editing and special effects and animation..... ;)

I think i need to start thinking of ways to make some good camera mounts for the car... Maybe make a stedi-cam mount for the side of the car with a motorized pan/tilt and zoom capability???

Ok, i'll stop now, starting to get carried away, plus i'm getting tired....

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually the window mount I got works fine for me, but you're right some exterior mount would be extra cool. The night scene from Miami Vice where you see the front wheel riding the pavement to Phil's Collins "In the air tonight" is one of my altime favourites.

What does work well though is just one person in the passenger seat who can hold a camera steady and does NEVER touch the zoom button.

From the short flick I put together this fall I learned, that you really need a variety of shots including outside shots as well. Just in car camera doesn't cut it, which means somebody gets dropped off someplace and all drive by.

15. TeenwhoneedsaFerrari

Dec 23, 2003
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Blair Salter
    well, IF I had a Ferrari it would be a blue 355 spider, and I believe it would tell me to make a nice trip through the blue ridge mountains. Not during the winter though, during the fall. Went up on a family day trip in the van one year, lots of twists and turns and very beautiful.

16. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I like that...TeenwhoneedsaFerrari. Yes,I wanted one since I was 17-1977. Didnt get it until I was 40-2001! But,Ferrari #2 is coming....soon! Now,I've had a Ferrari for 3 years,and am looking to add another. No telling what Time will tell.

17. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    It will be great if Sean can join us with his video cam. If not, we may need to improvise with personal video cameras and turn the footage over to him. The beauty of discussing this so early is that we can come up with alternate ideas such as the one Andreas has made. We have the time to prepare. It would be great to get all participating in front of the camera including Sean, who is usally behind the lens.

To: teenwhoneedsaferrari,
    I have driven the Blue Ridge Mountains twice with my F-cars. Once with a previously owned Mondial attending my 20th class reunion. Again with my current 308GTS QV. It was a 1100 mile/19 hr. journey each way from Chicago to just south of Richmond Va.
    My route included the West Virginia turnpike that has great hairpins up & down the mountains. It was without a doubt one of the coolest drives I've been on with my F-cars especially during the fall when the trees are turning color.
    The best part is staying overnight at a mountain lodge, getting up at the crack of dawn & waking the roosters up with a Tubi fitted Ferrari ! They never knew what hit them.

Dave

18. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Besides the regular 1/2/3 day trips ( including another south side speed run) we normally do, (including my rides to Elkhart Lake), I have three rides that I have been considering for next year:

1) (approx 1 week) Take the small shoreline highways around lower Michigan (inc. Manistee National Forest, Mackinaw State Forest, Mackinac Island, Huron National Forest) and wind up in the northern subs of Detroit for the Concours Italian Style/Meadowbrook show weekend.

2) (approx 1 week) Running mainly the smaller highways to PA/NY (beautiful areas) ending up at the Fall Vintage Festival at Watkins Glen (check into it, I have heard this is quite a weekend).

3) (approx 3-4 days) One that I have suggested before, is to head to the southern Illinois area (Shawnee National Forest - look into it), then west to the St. Louis/Missippi River area, and then take the river roads (and others) north through the old riverside (and other) towns back to the Bettendorf/Moline or Galena area and home.

Bill

19. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    We could include that Southern Illinois/St.Louis trip that Bill mentioned,into the Route 66 Drive-? Maybe meet up with our St.Louis FCA brethren....? It all goes the same way. Just a thought. But,it's looking like we are coming up with some fantastic ideas! Or,just an "overnighter". Old Rt.66/I-55 down,to St.louis,(only a 4-5 hour drive).But,with stops for photo-ops during,(and to stretch!) the drive.Then,for some world Famous St.Louis BBQ,and sight seeing. Breakfast or Brunch with the other Ferrari owners from down there,then head back. Naturally,we'd need a place to park all of our cars overnight securely. Maybe FCA-St.Louis can help us out with that.

20. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl

21. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Frank,

Just a thought, and I am open to group planning, however the Rt. 66 drive through Illinois, really isn't too scenic or exciting. The only reason to include it woud be for nostalgia. The way that I was talking about is, if you look at the map of the state, Route 1 (and other small highways) down the eastern side of Illinois/Indiana down to the Wabash and Ohio River areas, then through the Shawnee along the various and park roads around the southern tip of the state to the Missippi up to the St. Louis area and up the river roads and back to the Missippi and up to Bettendorf/Moline/Galena to home. This includes many beautiful roads, views, ancient historic towns, state and national parks.

Bill

22. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Dave,

Yes, the ideas that I have mentioned will require some planning. It would also be great to somehow hook up with the St. Louis area FCA people (as Frank mentioned) and any other interested parties along the way, I am sure that they may have interesting suggestions when the route enters their locale.

Bill

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Just my $ 0.02 regarding the duration: Next year I could only do a weekend drive as my vaca days are already preplanned on other trips (Spanish GP and Monterey). But that's only me.

24. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Hello all. I've been lurking for a while, absorbing information about Ferrari ownership in general since I plan to get a 308 in the next year or so, and while I've found plenty of nuts-and-bolts (so to speak) information here, what has been even more interesting has been seeing what a great community of enthusiasts there is in and around Chicago. I feel much more comfortable about owning one of these potentially demanding cars knowing that there are so many helpful and knowedgeable people around.

But that's not why I posted under this thread. Re scenic/fun drives, I have a couple comments, and then a question.

First, my parents live in Springfield and I can testify that there are few more boring drives in the state than south out of Chicago on I-55. There is, however, the Route 66 Hall of Fame (a small museum-like display) at the Dixie Trucker's Home near McLean, IL, if you do choose a Route 66-themed trip. And the Cozy Dog Drive-In in Springfield would be another place to hit--besides being a piece of living history (and having great corn dogs) it has lots of memorabilia on display. Footnote: Isringhausen Imports in Springfield had a beautiful 512BB in their showroom when I was down there over Thanksgiving, although their bread and butter is Mercedes and Porsches.

The nice scenery in the northern half of Illinois follows the rivers. In the river valleys you get some nice topography and fun-to-drive twisty roads; away from the rivers you get flat land and grids of straight roads. Aside from the Mississippi (and between here and there) the Illinois river valley has some nice areas.

It sounds like everyone is familiar with the joys of motoring in southwest Wisconsin, but I would second any recommendation of a drive through there (i.e., House on the Rock area).

Finally, I am active in the Alfa Romeo owners' club and we are trying to hold more local (i.e., one-day) recreational driving events. Since it sounds like you guys do a lot of that, I would be very grateful for recommendations of roads and destinations for a fun afternoon of motoring around Chicago.

Thanks,

Chuck King

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Welcome to FChat!
    My fav drive around Chicago is following the "Scenic route" around Lake Michigan. Begins I believe somewhere in the Southern part of Chicago (actually the scenic drives goes around the whole lake I think) and follows Lake Shore Drive up North through Evanston and then some. Fantastic scenery and beautiful neighbourhoods. Tons of good places to eat and take pics.

Maybe we meet one day; I've been looking at the Alfa's Road America event and might join you guys one year.