Anyone flying soon? | FerrariChat

Anyone flying soon?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by SefacHotRodder, Dec 25, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i'm going to the UK on saturday. i've always been nervous about flying, even though the odds of something going wrong is next to nothing but i must admit all this terrorist stuff is getting me a bit more worried. Thoughts? Opinions?

2. BRaskin

BRaskin Rookie

Nov 13, 2003
    Im right there with you. I just turned down a free trip to florida with a friend to go pic up a car, because I couldn't get over the flying thing. Its horrible it consumes me the whole trip. I wish there was a way to get around it. But Regardless I am gonna make myself take a trip to vegas and LA sometime in the comming year. If anyone has some tips to get over this I would love some suggestions.

3. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    we should kick all muslims out of the country. Discriminating ABSOLUTELY!!! but we have the right to feel safe on our homeland. Don't these terrorists have better things to do?

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    There are A LOT of people who have a fear of flying for one reason or another...heights, crashing, terrorism...anything. Its natural and understandable...However, I dont know how I can say it any other way; Flying IS safe! Not only safe, but FUN if you look at it in the right perspective.

Look how beautiful this is. Only one place you can see the earth from that perspective --in the air! So, get flying or else your missing out on some real beauty :)

There are many many pilots on this website. I know of 5 Airline Pilots at least.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Yeah, Almost as appalling as those who (without any regard) would PURPOSELY put us on edge, delay our travel and gouge us at the pumps (pre-attack pricehike).... in order to justify and KEEP justifying their war by continuing to manipulate the public in this manner!

You're right...pretty messed up!

DL

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Robi - free exercise of religion as an unalienable right secured its protection in the First Amendment to the Constitution. The Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993 is a Modern-day note to that effect, as well.

My father grew up with friends who disappeared, then came back years later. I grew up with their descendants. All those Japanese... rounded up... taken away from life and liberty.

Japan's military kamikaze-attacked Pearl Harbor, just as Extremists flew into buildings containing people in your back yard. Sacred sea, Sacred ground. Sacred text of a culture unlike that of yours or mine is still Sacred. It would be Sacrilege to the constitution, and worse still, would be when the shoe is on the other foot. USA'n's being kicked out of countries with a largely Muslim population and basis of law. If there is anything to come of the tragedy of 9/11, it will be that just as more US Non-Muslims have befriended Muslim neighbors or business people, so shall steps be taken by governments with Muslims in charge, and in mind - to follow in the ideal of Democracy.

Never forget 9/11, but don't blame those who had nothing to do with it. Rather, embrace them. For many, if ever, it will take a long time before that happens.

Peace

7. Chenrezi

Chenrezi Karting

Feb 10, 2003
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    Wax, I loved what you've written!
    I stoped checking the old F-chat website when the war of shame started 'cause i found alot of extremists in here, and, if I can understand them to some extent, I can't allow myself to be sympathetic with some things said and thoughts spread...
    USA is a great contry, THE greatest in many many ways, but to be the great is to give the example, to start the trend (like the recent Libia agreement) and that's up to YOU guys, the people!! You're the ones that made me fall inlove with the US since a very early age!! Rock and Roll, the way of life, and (oh what a inocent child I was...) the freedom...
    Today my view of the freedom thing as changed a bit (specialy due to your presidents' actions and the crime levels of some cities) but I still feel pretty enchanted with it and look forward to spend some time there.
    Please forgive the extent of my post but see it as a confession of some sort.
    WAX, once again, it was great to find a reasonable guy here. I totaly agree with you.
    Regarding the flying issue, (sorry...), I'm a pretty scared cat in regard to flying as well, but i reckon it's a fact: It's the safest way of travelling, and it has never been any safer (at least in Europe, I see cops everywhere I look at and security always double checks everything and everyone...).
    Good luck to all of you, and (sorry the lateness) have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! :)

Miguel

8. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i aggree with you jordan, flying is fun, the views are amazing and when i was a kid me and my dad would go plane spotting at the airport so its still fun looking at the planes and knowing what they are but there is just that feeling in the pit of my stomach, i also HATE turbulence, expecially when the plane goes up and down large distances quickly and everything shakes, scares the **** out of me! i know its safe and fun, but the media hasn't exactly helped the situation, "today the terror alert rose to yellow, the 2nd highest alert....people say this is the worst time to fly and the highest awareness since 9/11..." .........great :(

9. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    The media is stupid and has absolutely no clue when it comes to transportation. I dont get why they try and scare people out of traveling...hurting our economy in the process. Its all done by a simple twist of words and phrases. As far as turbulence, thats my favorite part. Think positively about it...its like a roller coaster ride...Weee :)

You have nothing to fear with turbulence. It may feel like hte plane drops a few hundred feet but in reality it is only a few. If you see the wings and engine pylons wiggling, have no worries. Modern airliner's wings can bend and flex several several feet. I forget the exact figure, but the Boeing 777's wing has 17ft. of flex (can someone correct me on that?) before it breaks.

Besides, if you think turbulence is bad in airliners, try flying in a Cessna :)

10. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    thanks for the positive words. btw, are you a pilot? i ask because of your user name

11. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    I fly across the country once every 3 weeks. Been doing it for 9 years. I've never had any problem or reason for concern.
    Security is the highest its ever been, the cockpit doors are secure, awareness among airline personnel and passengers is up and the guys that are actually flying the plane want to get home safely just as much as you do.
    You are more likely to get run over by a beer truck 3 miles from your house or break your neck slipping in your bathtub than have an incident on an airliner.

12. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    There is a risk in flying, but there is a risk in virtually anything you do. I fly for work all the time. After 9/11, I was not more nervous than usual (which is not very nervous at all), but then again, I did not really have a chioce. I either fly for work, or I don't get paid. There are thousands of flights a day, the pilots are very experienced that fly these commercial jets. People just need to relax, and put their trust in the pilots.

Just my .02

MJG

13. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I fly once or twice a month to Europe. No problem. However, having said that I do not fly US airlines. One reason is the bad service, another the old equipment (flight 800), another high pricing, and in fourth place the attraction of anything American to terrorists.

Singapore Airlines, KLM and Lufthansa are the airlines I fly with without any hesitation.

Rijk

14. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Jordan thats a great pic..... now that my A&P license is out of the way i want to work on a pilots license as well, maybe get a small something one day ( after i get a fcar) thanks for the uplifting pic, happy holidays to all. michael

15. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

k5mcl.....

I flew on 9/18/01 and had no concerns whatsoever. In fact, I flew about 30,000 miles that month after the attacks, and have logged some 150,000 miles since then, 90% of it on United Airlines and the rest on Air Canada.

Last week I flew from YYC-YYZ-GRU-GIG and will do it again in 2 more weeks.

Why worry ? If anything, it's a lot harder now for someone with evil intentions to pull something off. I can assure you that if there was a way, they would have done it by now. Don't you think ?

If your number comes up....it comes up. Statistically, you'd have better odds of your cam belts failing at 8,500 rpm after they were just replaced !!

Chenrezi.....

There is no such thing as an extremist in my opinion.....and that applies on both sides of the fence. There are however people with opinions that you may not agree with, nor have the ability to logically rebut, after they have voiced said opinions. Are those people the ones you are referring to ?

16. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I think I read somewhere that there were 0 fatalities on commercial airliners in the US in 2002. Compare that with 40,000 traffic related deaths and unknown thousands of injuries in the same year. Statistics show over and over again that flying is safer than driving the same distance although many people will STILL argue that point! Don't get me wrong, I love to drive and would love to have that Ferrari 308QV in the garage as a daily driver. But if I had to go several hundred or thousand miles, flying is the safer mode of travel for the trip.

I think people are afraid because they lack any control when sitting in the back of a jet cooped up with a whole bunch of strangers. In a car, the driver has final say in where the car goes and when. I guess it's just a natural fear to be "along for the ride" 6 miles up in the sky with no way to get off the plane if something should happen. It's only because most people don't fly daily but DO travel by car. Driving is a familiar activity to most people so they find it more acceptable despite the greater dangers involved. I know someone who "commuted" from NY to Florida and back, several times a year and refused to fly the trip. He always drives it. It was only because HE wanted to be in "control". Well, it's his choice to make but I think it's silly if the cost is not a problem.

As was mentioned before, is flying risky? Sure. But there is some risk in EVERY activity we choose to pursue. How we approach that risk is what we take into account when making a decision to do anything. NOTHING is 100% risk free. Even staying inside all day everyday has a risk involved. The risk in flying is quite low compared with other modes of transportation but it will never be zero. Just try it a few times and it just might keep you coming back for more as you get more comfortable and familiar with it.

If terrorism is the main concern, here's a news flash: Nobody can be 100% safe from terrorists, ANYWHERE. Period. Just live your life and pursue your goals and dreams, that's the way to counter their plans. Be careful about it, but do what YOU'D like to do. I personally know people who worked downtown in the WTC area of NYC on 9/11. They were lucky, they made it home that night. As we all know, a few thousand people didn't. You just never know what might happen on any given day, but don't let it stop you from living.

Personally, if I could afford to, I would love to fly all the time. The views are priceless and getting from point A to point B can be very enjoyable especially if you are your own pilot.

Jordan, I think they said a 777's wing will bend about 25 feet vertically at the wing tip (during pre-production tests) before it fails. I don't remember the exact number but it was astounding how much it can flex without problem. The documentary I saw was on the Discovery Wings channel from a few years ago.

17. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Glad you guys liked the shots. Here are a few more to try and help you overcome your fears. Although I know as much as I talk about how great flying is, its not going to help someone with an extreme fear of it. The last thing Ill say regarding it is the old cliche...The only thing to fear is fear itself. So, get on a plane, and try and enjoy it :)

Rijk, Northwest Airlines is the only US airline using pretty old planes still. However, they are in exceptional shape. Most other US Airlines have a very modern fleet and/or are continuing to upgrade. Even though you may be flying on say a 737 from the late 80s, it is still very technologically advanced, durable, reliable, and prooven. Thats why airliners last so long. Nothing to fear with older planes too. Id actually prefer flying on them...built like tanks :) However, I do give it to you that US Airlines lack in the customer service area :)

k5mcl, not really a pilot. I have a few hours in Cessnas putting around, but I am a commercial aviation junkie. I collect everything having to do with airliners, I study flight manuals to airliners and am fairly confident in the systems of the 737-300, 400, and 500. I also collect sectionals (maps), approach diagrams for airports, and make flight plans and dispatches in my spare time. My username represents one of my favorite airliners: the 747-400. For a while Ive been trying to decide whether to pursue a career in commercial aviation or classical music. I believe Ive decided on being a musician, with flying more of a hobby, as it is to me now...but I change my mind every time I look up at the sky during a pretty sunset :)

18. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
  19. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
  20. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Last shot. Sorry to steal the thread a little bit. Im hoping these beautiful images might help you overcome your anxieties.

21. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    thanks guys, i'm not really worried, just nervous. amazing pix jordan, thanks. i'm going on virgin, which we've had no trouble with and the people on there are really nice so i doubt we'll have any kind of problem apart from the usual crying baby right next to us and the woman who always gets pissed when you put your seat back....

22. Sharif

Sharif Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Sharif
    A guy named Adolph Hitler had a similar plan.

Feel safe on our own homeland? Guys like Timothy McVeigh and Eric Rudolph must make you feel real safe.

Your not a very educated person, huh? It's ok, the world needs people like you. Test monkeys and illiterates around the world like the feeling they get knowing there is someone dumber than them.

In my eyes, people like you are terrorists.

23. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Jordan,

NWA is affiliated with KLM and therefore the alternative to KLM to Amsterdam. I hate their service as well as their old planes. Compared to first class Singapore or Business class KLM they are very "lacking" and I pay less on Singapore first class than on NWA business class.

I knew all KLM Us ground staff. Now none is left.

Rijk

24. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    Were at Deer Valley Ut skiing right now, commercial air travel sucks the big one. We use SkyJet (not a endorsement) to travel. No waiting in lines, no sharing space with people you just want to kick the sh_t out of. Plus you decide when you want to go, and can pick your own menu. We have two small boys and this is the most relaxed way to travel we have found.

25. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    ]

I agree. They call the airline Nowrthworst :)