Most amazing Private Ferrari collection ? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Most amazing Private Ferrari collection ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by amenasce, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Wow, I love the 250 GTO so much. Grat pics, everyone.

3. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Even to have changed hands with that many cars is something. 120?? That means you were getting a new car every 2 months!

--Dan

More like every 3-4 months...even then...

5. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    DES,

at the Maranello Rosso, I talked to one of the guys that works there and asked him if these cars get driven. he said that they drive them every once in a while. he wasnt specific, but i was under the impression that they are driven more than once a year. i sent in an application to that place with my job description as "guy who keeps the ferraris running"..... but havent heard back yet...haha

according to the guy who i talked to, they used some of their cars to make the movie about Enzo.

bill

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Scuderia...

i'm sure a FEW of those cars get driven more than once a year but a large majority of them probably only see real driving a handful of times... Big collector folks don't impress me unless they actually drive these things... Jim Spiro impresses me... His F50 was his daily driver before he bought his 330; for a while, the F50 was the only car he had, from what i understand... When i met him in New Orleans, i had to ask him flat out:

"Do you really drive it [his 1962 330 TRI/LM] to work everyday...?"

"3 or 4 times a week, yeah..."

That rocks in my book.

7. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Anyone knows what John Bosh has ?

Daytona Comp
    BB LM Pioneer
    512 S
    F1 2001
    360 C

What else ?

8. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Guys, have we missed who may have BY FAR the largest collection-- Sultan of Brunei???

9. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

As far as i know the Sultan doesnt own any classic Ferraris.
    No GTO, No P4 , No Daytona Comp , No SWB , No Cali spider...

10. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
  11. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Interesting site - thanks.

12. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I read somewhere that a gentleman named Lawrence Auriana of Greenwich, Ct has quite a collection of fine Italian cars. I don't know exactly what he has, though. Anyone here familiar with his collection?

13. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This is from http://www.theautochannel.com/publications/magazines/forza/number8/pg46.frame

Another collector on the grand scale is Lawrence Auriana, who with brother Mark as co-driver/navigator, drove his alloy-bodied Ferrari 250 in the 1997 Mille Miglia. Their car, prepared by East Coast Ferrari guru Francois Sicard-who accompanied them as mobile pit crew-performed almost flawlessly, needing only an occasional fresh battery along the way. Auriana, who heads the Wall Street Kaufman Fund, already is looking ahead to 1998 and a possible entry in the Tour de France retro race.

In 1998, the Auriana family will move into their newly restored Greenwich back country estate, where Lawrence's collection of three dozen mostly Italian thoroughbred automobiles will be consolidated. Permission to build the museum-like facility was granted by the ever-watchful town fathers after a year of lobbying by the persuasive car collector and vintage racer.

In addition to the Ferrari 250, the Auriana stable also includes a 1977 308, his first Maranello acquisition, and a 456 purchased a year ago from Werner Phister at Miller Motorcars, "because he had done us so many favors over the past couple of years." That is a fair statement of Larry Auriana's attitude. He appreciates and reciprocates the services that enhance his enjoyment of the automotive hobby.

US-born Auriana is almost purely Italian when it comes to his automotive interests: In addition to his Ferraris, he owns a half-dozen Alfa Romeos, an equal number of Maseratis, and a pair each of Lancias and OSCAs. A Fiat 8V and a Siata were recently added. At a European auction last June, the Wall Street executive was out-bid for a Ferrari 212 Barchetta he wanted very badly, but someone else apparently wanted it even more. "You have to stop somewhere," was his philosophical comment.

14. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Youve right Ben... Lawrence brings several cars to the Greenwich Concours every year. Off the top of my head, Ive seen amazing prewar racers that he has, two of which are a 1928 Maserati and a 1934 Alfa, both open-wheeled, unrestored, and awesome!

15. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I know of a gentleman in the Dallas, Texas area who has a sizble collection that very few people know little about because he does not like to draw attention to himself. He however, does drive them all from time to time. Some only on the track, others on the street. Some of the cars include.

Enzo
    F50
    F40
    F40 Micholetto
    California Spider SWB
    Dino 206SP race car
    360 Challenge
    360 Spider
    360 coupe
    288 GTO

He has others but I cannot recall all of them at this time. I did witness him driving up in front of FoD in the California Spider one time. Nice to see one of these fine cars on the street. And, please do not ask, I should not and will not reveal his name. If he wants the world to know of his collection he can make that announcement.

16. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Audiguy,

He also has -- or had -- a 250 LM. And you're right. A VERY nice guy, very nice family, very low-key, and quite a competent driver.

17. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Speaking of Texas....Paul Frame had some nice Ferraris from what I remember (first F50 in the U.S. I think...a yellow one).

Is Jerry J. Moore still alive in Texas? Several years ago he had OVER 1,000 CARS!! Over 300 of those were JUST FERRARIS!! They showed a picture of him standing next to car stackers with Testarossas on them....crazy.

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    jerry j. moore is still around but doesn't have the collection he once had. i know of several people that looked at cars from his collection when it was liquidated around a year or so ago. i heard he had some finacial troubles but never heard any credible evidence that that was the case. non-the-less, between he and john mecom, they brought many rare cars to the houston area back in the day.

19. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    I know some people like this in the bay area as well....

Enzo
    F50
    F40
    GTO
    F355 Fiorano
    512m
    456MGT
    Murci
    Mclaren F1
    Azure
    Arnage T

Drives them all....

As well, that family has others (MB's, etc.)

Very cool people

20. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I was at a collector's home for New Years and saw an awesome display:

2 Enzos (one red, one yellow)
    Pagani Zonda
    F50
    F40
    355 Challenge
    Lambo Diablo
    Lambo Murcielago
    512BB

(Even in the company of these beauties, the Zonda stole the show!)

Ben

21. shelbee

shelbee Guest

How about Sultan of Brunei?? (I know he was not on the list)

22. trkevin

trkevin Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    K. Blommaert
    Amenasce, did you saw John Bosch at the Spa Ferrari Days this year?
    I saw JB there with his Daytona, 360, 512M and 2 Ferrari F1s of him. It was great to see some people of the Scuderia Ferrari starting his F2001. You have to start the F1 engine with a laptop. But you can't buy that laptop if you buy a Ferrari F1, so you always have to flight over 4 SF people to start the F1. I don't won't to pay that bill :)

I thought he had also owns a F2000, F2001, F2002 and F2003.
    But I most like his 410S coupe '56 and the 500TR '56.
    He also owns a new 550 GTC!!

23. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Dr. Bodin must be on the list somewhere. His collection included:
    1st 250 GTO (3223)
    250 LM
    250 TR (white / blue NART car, Lucy Bell)
    250 SWB
    250 Ca Spider
    250 TdF
    250 interim TdF
    275 NART conversion (not too many folks cut a 4 cam)
    Daytona conversion
    330GTC
    As well as many other noteable cars that passed through his hands over the years. Sadly most of these cars are now dispersed throughout the world.

24. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Kind of surprises me that nobody mentioned the great Ferrari collection of Mr Albert Obrist in Switzerland. He once owned what was considered to be the best Ferrari collection in the world, almost all were factory racecars. His collection included amongst many others:

166 MM Barchetta (0010M)
    375 MM Pinin Farina Berlinetta (0322AM)
    315 S (0684)
    250 Testa Rossa/59 (0766TR)
    250 GT SWB (2417GT)
    250 GTO/64 (5571GT)
    330 P (0820)
    330 P4 (0856)
    712 Can Am (1010)
    312 PB (0880)

At the time his collection was housed in a chalet in Feutersoey, near Basel. At some point, a large part of the collection was sold to Mr Bernie Eccelstone and later to the McCaw brothers.

Does anyone of you guys have more information on why the cars were sold and where they are now? Or perhaps anybody has pictures of this collection? I would love to see some shots on this one....

25. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Oops...

It should be near Gstaad! Sorry!