Warning Light!!! Help Please! | FerrariChat

Warning Light!!! Help Please!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gumball3000, Dec 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gumball3000

gumball3000 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Ed Neilson
    Had my F355 3 days

Got up this morning and a mile from home I get the

Slow Down 1-4 warning light on. The Manual suggests an exhaust problem....

Any suggestions?

Cheers, and Merry Christmas!

Ed

2. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Ed -- Go to the old FChat site and search on "self test ECU thermo" (AND mode, Parts-of-words) -- read -- then give more information (self-test OK or not OK, 1-4 exhaust is or is not actually glowing red-hot at the 1-4 thermocouple when the warning light comes on, results of simple swap tests {ECUs and/or thermocouples -- your OM should give some warning light system description/architechture}, etc.).

I'm a little surprised that you're not also reporting 1/2 power, whether the fault is real or not, as I thought the 348 and later cars were designed to turn off the injection system if the warning light ECU turned on the warning lamp for any reason (because the reality is that drivers don't stop when the warning light comes on).

4. brini

brini Rookie

Dec 5, 2003
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    I've had the same problem. My car is a 95 355 with 28k miles. If driven in stop and go traffic for 5-10 minutes my slow down 5-8 warning light comes on. I have been able to duplicate this twice and am relatively convinced after talking to Ferrari/SF and local Ferrari mechanic that it is a faulty cat or thermocouple as well. I do experience 1/2 power and basically have to pull over for 5 minutes for cool down. My car goes to the shop 1st week of January, I will let you know what is confirmed.

5. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Depending on your mileage and year it is likely your CAT is falling apart. Do the swap and see if the code comes back as always the same. To cancel the code disconnect the power on the power switch for a few seconds. The code will be gone. See if and when it comes back.

Those things happen. CAT can be expensive. May want to opt for test pipes instead. BTW I have some in stock and you can buy them also from Eric here on the site. E-mail me if you need his number. Same price but shipping from Eric will be cheaper, due to distance.

BTW could be as simple as the O2 sensor on the 1-4 bank. You can order them from Bosch direct. Make sure the 355 and 348s are the same though. I am not sure. Otherwise you will have to go through Ferrari. They have the monopoly for 10 years. You could say (if identical to 348s) that you have a 91 348 :)

6. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Take a small hammer or wrench and hit the CATs if you hear parts rattling the internals of the CAT are coming apart. If your car is a 99 your emmissions are covered under warranty and FNA replaces them under warranty.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The cat may be dieing.

Powering off a 95 will not loose the codes, it will only loose the idle calibration. For the 95's remove the pannels above the shock absorbers. At the rear of the engin bay sit the ECUs. There is a pencil sized button on the forward portion of each ECU. Turn on the ignition but do not start the car. Hold the button in for 30 seconds each to erase the codes. There is a wire associated with the button, and you can hook a multimeter to this wire and ground and use the button to readout the ECU codes. However, it is likely the code will be for A) the cat, B) the oxygen sensor, C) the thermocouple.