Heater fans in 308 aren't working | FerrariChat

Heater fans in 308 aren't working

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by david, Nov 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    The fans that blow for heat or defrost aren't working. In addition the antenna won't operate. Two seemingly unrelated problems maybe. I have checked the fuses and the connections on the fuse block. Fuses are fine and the connections are clean with no corrosion. The fuse for the heater fan I think is labelled Ventil RAL. The antenna circuit has the interior light and hazard light both which work. I am more interested in the heater fan fix as I never listen to the radio. But it would be nice to fix the antenna issue at some point. I am at a loss as to what to look for next. 77 308.

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Check that the fuses have continuity. Often times the rivets on the back of thfe fuse block loosen and, althougth the fuses and shovel connectors are good, there is no power flowing.

3. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    I checked continuity on the fuses as installed, and checked the continuity from the end of the fuse holder to its connector. Fuses and spade lug to connector connections seem OK. I'm beginning to wonder if the switch suddenly went bad. I don't know how to dig apart the console to check the switch though.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    To open the console, open your ash tray and remove the ash tray liner (it pulls out). Once this is done you will see 2 screws. Remove them and lift out the ash tray. This will loosen the entire console top and you will be able to lift it and get to the switch. Be careful as the 3 heater control sliders will give you a little grief when trying to open the console.

Good luck

5. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    I was looking at those two screws and wondering if that was the trick. I had to pack everything up because I ran out of time today. Do you think that the switch is the next place to look? I don't know what the reliability record is for those switches, and I don't want to take apart stuff I don't have to. The garage is really cold these days.

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Normally it is the fuse block that gives you problems. I can't remember if that switch uses a relay. If so check the relay by replacing it with another. Note that not all the relays are the same so be sure to match it with one of the same number. The wiring harnesses on these cars are pretty good so your next step after the relay would be the switch.