1:18 Ferrari 250 GT SWB... | FerrariChat

1:18 Ferrari 250 GT SWB...

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by 134282, Dec 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Was at a junk yard early this morning; inside their little office, they've got all these scale cars, behind the glass... Looking closely, i spot the only Ferrari in the whole place... A yellow 1:18 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta... Unbelievable! i offered the guy twice what he probably paid for it, but he wouldn't budge... He did take it out and let me take a look at it... No matter where i looked, though, i couldn't find the model maker... The model was blanketed in what looked like brake dust... i had absolutely no interest in ANY of the other models he had there- probably close to 50, too...! There was just one Ferrari... Sigh... It was pretty nicely detailed, too... Not some run of the mill crap... Ok, i'm done lamenting, now... :)

2. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Des, take a look in the Lusso 1/18 thread. Andreas and I both posted pictures of a 250 SWB. I see them on ebay all the time, made by Joeuf.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This is how I feel when I visit a car show with friends. They can go on and on about Ford Pickup trucks and the latest Misubishi. While I start looking at my watch once we have passed the Ferrari stand.
    :(

4. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Jay, Andreas, this is the whole thing for me... Well, half of it, really... The later half is having it; owning it... But the first half is finding it... i found a really awesome ultra cool possibly rare model (rare in the sense that it wasn't some cheap Hot Wheels throw-together) and i failed to execute the hunt properly... i know of another place not too far from me; used car lot... Guy has probably 100 cars in his office... None of which have any effect on me... But a dirty, soot-laden, yellow Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta buried beneath a rotting wood and metal counter top, only viewable through a dingy pane of plexi-glass is a huge find for me... i lament not having been able to pry it from the lucky bastard's hands... It would have been a very cool addition to the collection with a much, much cooler story attached to it than "i found it on eBay..."

You know what i'm sayin'...?

2 out of the 3 1:24 F50s i have on my shelf are cool because they have stories attached to them; i found both at two different gas stations, at two different times... Very cool place to find something you constantly look for in high-end places...

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I know what you're saying DES. Although a 2:00 am sniper attack on an ebay item you absolutely positively must have, is a good story too. Had those as well (I'm a merciless sniper, best record was 7 seconds left on the clock).

One day you DES must go to Maranello and do all the things a true Tifosi does there. Then you will find how pathetic un-Ferrari like your current worship has been. The town has Ferrari shrines on every corner with tons of stuff you haven't even heard of. That is when you realize that whatever limit your credit card currently has, it will never suffice and you wonder how many 1/18 cars would fit into your suitcase if you'd just 'forget' that second pair of shoes in the hotel...
    :)

PS: While everybody is busy bashing Mattel, how about ERTL (Made in the US of A!). I got a 1966 car from these clowns, that has to be the lousiest 1/18 model I've ever seen. Why did I buy it? Well, cause I haven't seen it made from anybody else.
    :(

6. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    we're going through our old attic in our house in the UK that we have been renting out. i know we have a lot of automobile related stuff up there, i can remember a box of those 1/24 (i think) models that you got if you spent a certain amount of money at the shell gas station, we had a gas guzzler saab so we would get tons of free stuff :) . i'll let you guys know what we find ;)

7. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    and my dad used to work for shell for marketing and stuff so i hope i find some long lost ferrari or mclaren (f1 road car, altho i doubt it, he left before shell get involved i think) treasure :)

8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Ertl...Eagle's Race...I got alot of bad quality models because as Andreas said, nobody else makes them. That was the case with Anson, they were the only ones making 328's and Dino's.

9. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Andreas, 7 seconds left on the clock...? LOL, you're wicked...! i guess there's a story in that, you're right...

i'm toying with the idea of going to Italy in 2005; not yet sure if i'll be able to wing it, but it seems like the ultimate pilgrimage to Ferrari-mecca...

i've heard of Ertl, but i don't have any models by them (that i know of)... Still, if i saw a model of a car that i didn't already have and they made it, i'd have it... :)

K5, definitely keep us posted...!

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    DES, I've got a 250 SWB made by Eagles Race. It's a piece of junk quality wise, but I've never seen another. I found it at a local car show.

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Found at a local car show...? See, now that's the thrill of the chase... That would be good enough for me... i want the one i saw earlier today... It was so beautiful...

12. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    des, i assume you've seen a real one? they are really beautiful in person

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    No... Well... Only if you count sn 2819... You see, before sn 2819's body was dramatically altered, it was a 250 GT SWB Berlinetta... However, the answer is really no, i have never seen a 250 GT SWB in person...

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    DES, you're starting to sound like Wayne Ausbrooks.
    :)

Did I make your day?

I never was too much smitten by the older Ferraris (they just look like older cars to me), but the 250 GT SWB does change your mind on things. Love at first sight. Silver, parked on a green field. It was as if heaven had opened.

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...! Absolutely...!!! :)

16. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Speaking of 2819, was there ever a model made of that exact 250 before it was "la camionette"...?

17. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #17 tonyh, Jan 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017