DVR's - anyone know about them? | FerrariChat

DVR's - anyone know about them?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by lesterm, Dec 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I am looking at some DVD-recorders and DVR's, etc. Essentially, I want to record what is on TV to a DVD. Is there something I can get that is as easy as a video tape and does not require a monthly fee like TiVo? Thanks.

2. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    This is THE source for everything DVDR...
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

I've had a DVD-R drive on my computer for a little over a year; it's great and I am constantly using it. Make sure you check the compatibility (on the above site) of the discs/formats and your particular DVD player. I learned the hard way that not all DVD players like DVD-R or DVD+R.

To answer your particular question... maybe you want to look at a computer with a decent capture card that has a huge hard drive (or two) in it. I'm almost certain that there's TiVo-like software out there that does exactly what you want. From there, it should be pretty simple to burn that to a recordable DVD. There might also be standalone players that record on the fly (not too sure about the standalones) but they almost certainly wouldn't have tivo features.

I have a Pioneer A03 DVD-RW drive, and I use Ritek DVDs almost exclusively.