How much are original brochures worth? | FerrariChat

How much are original brochures worth?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Tspringer, Dec 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Im looking at some original Daytona sales brochures on ebay. They appear in really good shape, and I want them!

The thing is... I dont have the first clue what they are worth. I dont want to get into some silly bidding war and end up with either me or some other poor fool paying some stupid price WAY over market.

Any clue what stuff like that is worth or what it tends to sell for? A couple hundred bucks? More?

Any help appreciated!

Terry

2. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I paid just under a hundred for my GTE brochure. Yours might be a bit more...

3. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels

Um, yes, sounds familiar. Mine was about $200 on ebay.

4. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Hi Terry...
    I saw you were bidding on that brochure yesterday. Values for each model can vary greatly. I like to periodically check the Ebay "completed auctions" to see what similar items have recently sold for. Thing is, ebay can be wacky too - one day you catch a great bargain, the next day some fool way overbids and steals it from you.

Check out Jack Habits site... http://www.************.com/

he has that Daytona #49/71 brochure listed for $249.99 USD.

Here are two other sites off the top of my head:
    http://www.ferrariliterature.com/
    http://www.ferraribrochures.nl/

There are other sites selling sales literature outright as well - I just can't remember their URLs and my bookmarks are @ home.

good luck!
    Greg

5. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I bought Sales Brochure N. 25/68 off ebay! Whoooooooooohooooooo

Its the 1968 Daytona brochure, so its perfect to go with my car! I cant wait to get it!

Terry

6. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Terry,

The '68 brochure is the better of the two. you'll love it.

Here is a taster...

Also, a picture of a SINGLE SHEET California Spyder flier that made the highest price I've seen on Ebay of any Ferrari brochure - $1,050 !!

John

7. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
  8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I have a 1988 Monidal brochure, I was thinking of selling it. It will sell for for as much as anyone is willing to pay for it.

9. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have a Berlinetta Boxer brochure I'd sell if someone wanted it, catalog number 133/76.

10. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Congrats!

To all: as the prices of the vintage bochures rise, make sure that you know what you are actually buying.

There are plenty reprints around that are marked as such (we also have some of those for sale) but there are at least as many reprints around which are being "fed into the market" one by one (in order not to arouse suspicion) which are NOT marked as reprints and are being passed off as vintage originals in excellent condition and for such people, Ebay is the ideal venue for that as Ebay totally lacks "self control" and will not take action against those sellers.

I have even seen them with the Chinetti dealer stamp on them to give them a more authentic look but even the stamp was fake.

A good friend of mine taught me "If it looks to be good to be true, it usually is" and he was very right with that.

The 250 California flyer that 365boy pictured is "questionable" to say the least (not attacking 365boy here!).

First of all, that piece of literature is now 41 years old. Does it look like that? Not to me but that doesn't say anything yet as we also have literature that is older and "dead mint" but we know where it is coming from and is genuine.

What is worse with that one....

There NEVER was a SINGLE sheet flyer for that car in that color scheme!

There was however a 4 page folder with that exact cover!

Conclusion?

Somebody (who probably thought he/she made a great catch at Ebay), bought half a brochure for over a THOUSAND dollars!

Would it have been complete, genuine and as mint as it looks, we would probably sell it in teh region of $ 800 - $ 1000 but NOT if it is only HALF of what it should be !

So, be careful out there.

Best regards,
    Jack Habits
    www.************.com
    Proud FerrariChat.com sponsor

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    I recently bought a rossa presskit. How much is that one worth? It includes dia's and a CD-ROM

12. FerrariStuff.com

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Hi Bob,

I got your email but it is just so terribly busy at the moment with the Christmas rush.

If I am not mistaken, the Rosso press kit was issued by Pininfarina, not Ferrari. Correct?

I never had one, but just going by "feel", I would probably sell it for $ 149.99, shipping, packing, tax etc included.

Jack

13. FerrariStuff.com

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Terry,

which one of the two 25/68 versions is it?

Jack

14. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I got the 1968 brochure and the 1972 one as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2447276585&ssPageName=ADME:B:BN:MT:1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2447474449&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

The 25/68 brochure is the "22 gallon" one I believe. Im certainly no expert.

The seller told me this:

These Ferrari brochures actually belong to a friend of mine from Newfoundland, who is originally from Australia. He was the Sales Director and part owner of Scuderia Veloce Motors in Sydney, Australia in the late 60's and early 70's (http://www.svm.com.au/svm/ferrari/). I am sure that in hindsight he wishes he had saved a few more of these catalogs.

I cant wait to get them.

Terry

15. FerrariStuff.com

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Found this one on Ebay with a starting price of a mere $ 49.00.

UNFORTUNATELY:
    A reprint

FORTUNATELY:
    An honest seller that states that it is a reprint

Jack

16. mr. green

mr. green Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    CAN YOU HEAR ME

17. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Jack,

Thanks for the info on the California brochure.

Glad I didn't win it !!

John

18. FerrariStuff.com

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Hi John,

I think you should be VERY glad about that...

BTW, it's impossible to tell from that last Daytona brochure picture that I posted that is a reprint so you need to rely purely on the seller's description and honesty...

What a great place Ebay is...

Jack