electronis p/u replacement for points 308 | FerrariChat

electronis p/u replacement for points 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by joeyy, Dec 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    what is the best way to replace the points w/ magnetic p/u in a older 308 dizzy. i already did the single point conversion as well as msd but would like to do the change out of the points. i have a plan to do them with chrysler p/u but would it be easier or better to replace the both dizzys with later ones that already have the p/u in them. if so what years will work?

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    '79 Euro 308 GT4's used a single Magneti Marelli SM805A dizzy with appropriate electronic module coils (M.M. AEI 200A). This dizzy has a hall-effect triggering mechanism (magnetic pick-up).

Your easiest bet maybe using the Crane XR system (Infra Red triggering mechanism) with your existing dizzys. Less hassle and better yet, less cost.

Do a search through the F'Chat archives, plenty of info on this system...

3. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I used Pertronix's pick ups

4. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Joe
    Giovanni at Autosprint installs an optical kit in the stock distrib body. When I was there he'd just put one in an older 12 cyl (330 or 275). Apart from one external wire you couldn't see any visual difference. Cheap too ($200?).
    You can find him in Forza or through a search on white pages