3500gt versus Ghibli? | FerrariChat

3500gt versus Ghibli?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by davem, Dec 25, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Im toying with the idea of buying one or the other.
    Of course ive never even sat in one! I like the fact that the Ghibli is roomy inside. Im 6.0 mostly torso an like to sit upright!
    Seems to me prices are similiar. Anyone care to share thoughts on how they differ. Whats great, whats not, room inside of 3500. Also is that backseat useable?
    Lastly these are GT cars but were any raced at all. Im thinking more that the 3500 might have been?

2. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    There were several race series. The Ghibli and the 3500 both were raced. There are still a few vintage race 3500s around. The Ghibli did not do to well and was replaced by the Indy in racing. Since the Indy is a little longer it's handling was better.

Space wise I can tell you that a 3500 is tight. You will find the Ghibli much more spacious. I purchased the Indy because I wasted the extra inches, it's about the best in space of all. It really depends on what you are looking for. If you want something more sporty you might want to look @ the Bora. I personally like the look of the Ghibli/Indy better. The Mexico is also a good choice. It's again better space wise and has the V8 instead of the 6.

Good Luck

3. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    I'd like to hijack the thread for a moment :0

icars what are your thought on the Mistral coupe?

How does it compare is size ride to the Ghibli? Do you see any long term difference in collectiblility/appreciation?

Thenks,

Erich

4. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Mistrals are quite collectable. The problem with a Mistral is that it's really was built for wealthy woman. If you are more than 5ft 6 or so it's going to be tight.

When I purchased my 365 I was actually looking @ a Mistral. The Mistral was a beautiful car but just way to small for 6Ft "well fed" kind of guy ;)

If you were 6ft and very thin you might be able to fit okay but not roomy. On the other hand the mistral is quite nice.

The Ghibili has plenty of space. The Indy will have a little more due to be a 2+2. The Khamsin starts getting kind of tight again. A 6Ft something guy could in fact fit in a BORA but you don't want to drive hours.

Rodney

5. 3500touring

3500touring Karting

Dec 29, 2003
    Blaricum, Holland
    Full Name:
    Michael B.
    They are both fantastic cars, but very different in character.
    I have had two 3500 GT's and two Ghibli's.
    With the 3500 GT, which I still have ,I have covered 25.000 kms in the past 4 years, driving her all over Europe. A brilliant classic car,totally reliable and soooooooo beautiful. But on long drives a bit tiring due to the noise and heat.

With the both Ghibli's (one a 4.7 the other a 4.9 SS) I have covered about 15.000 kms in the past 7 years. They too are fantastic and totally reliable. They are great long distance touring cars and true GT's.
    Driving from Amsterdam to Monte Carlo in a day (1200 kms) is quite ok.
    It is nicer though to take the scenic route along the Route Napoleon and use an extra day!

I am 6 ft 2 and fit very well in both, but the Ghibli is a lot roomier and more comfortable.

6. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Thank you for the replies. I will have to drive both and decide. Hard choices to have! As these are getting on in years are some parts unavailable?? Lastly what Maserati sites are best to visit?

Thank you, Dave

7. 3500touring

3500touring Karting

Dec 29, 2003
    Blaricum, Holland
    Full Name:
    Michael B.
    Yes try them both, it will be fun doing so!
    If you visit Amsterdam, I will offer you a ride and perhaps a drive.

Some parts are hard to get, like bumpers and good gearboxes for the 3500 GT but there are quite a few cars in the USA, so also quite some parts. But body parts are VERY hard to use from other examples since very few are exactly the same bodywise. Dimensions may vary by almost an inch.
    The turn signal group on the later Ghibli's is hard to replace once broken.

For sites try the sites and links of The Maserati Club (UK), Maserati Club Holland, and in fact all the other sites and links of the various Maserati clubs worldwide.

Have fun hunting!

PS. In case you wonder on this Ferrari site; I also am very fond of Ferrari's.(......and Abarth and Bugatti and Alfa Romeo and Aston Martin and Porsche and and and........)