Radical SR3 on Track | FerrariChat

Radical SR3 on Track

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by tracknut, Dec 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tracknut

tracknut Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Folsom, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave Mills
    I had a request to post my experiences in my new Radical SR3, and wanted to wait until I had some pics. Here they are - http://www.go-fast.org/radical/index.html

I replaced my Camaro Z28 which I tracked for ~4 years, with this Radical. I'd finally decided I had enough with a big heavy (3700lbs) car that I couldn't get slowed down. I do 20-30 track days a year, and wanted something that was built for it - the Radical certainly fits the bill. It's a race chassis with fiberglass body, a bored Hayabusa motor, 1500cc and 250hp. It goes like a bat out of hell, and turns equally well. Maybe the best part is that there are two seats, which is the best selling tool going! If you've driven a car like this, you know the difference between it and a street car made for the track. It's beautifully nimble and balanced, and just does everything right. You'll never go back to a street car, I don't think.

Northern California Racing Club (www.ncracing.org) will have a batch of them at most of our events, as most of the owners on the west coast are joining up, and we'll be racing them with American Racing Club (www.amracing.org) next year.

If you're interested in seeing or riding in one, come out to an NCRC event, we'll be there!

Dave

2. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Awesome choice! Is that Marc Dalen's chassis that he was selling?

3. tracknut

tracknut Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Folsom, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave Mills
    Nope, got it new from the factory. I don't know that Marc has sold his yet.

Dave

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Congratulations! Evo's top pick, isn't it?

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    curious as well.

looks like lots of fun to me. I've seen several up close, including Marc's, but have yet to take a ride in one.

6. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Is that road legal here?

7. tracknut

tracknut Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Folsom, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave Mills
    I think so. A lot of magazines have done reviews, since they've come to the US pretty recently. The mags seem to like testing them against the bikes :)

Dave - "Team GO"

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    nope. but there are two different versions - one with poly bushings and one with solid bushings. even some of the track guys have poly bushings for some ride comfort through the deflection.

apparently it is legal somewhere in the world (luxemburg?), this is why it was allowed to be entered (3 of them) in the open track challenge back in april. the rules allow cars that are street legal, or at least once were built for the street - somewhere in the world - in order to participate in the event.

9. tracknut

tracknut Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Folsom, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave Mills
    That actually surprises me. The car's extremely comfortable on the track, and very easy to drive. Of course this isn't thru potholes and stuff, but it is not at all harsh, with steel bushings, on the track.

There's a version that's street legal in the UK, and there are several similar sports racer cars that are legal there. Not here in the US though.

Dave