What are your favorite roads around the Seattle area? | FerrariChat

What are your favorite roads around the Seattle area?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by TimF40, Dec 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I don't know the area very well but am looking for some great "stretches" of road that I could "stretch" my new 360 on. I'm not a racer or a speed demon, but would like to have a little bit of fun without a high probability of "prying" eyes. Twisties with short open stretches and beautiful scenery are what's imagined. e.g., The road over Steven's Pass is great, but too populated for the most part.

From a previous post, I know where *not* to go.

Any of your favorites would be greatly appreciated. Email or personal message me if shy. :)

Thanks! - Tim

2. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Hi Tim,

Willis has led the group on several great local drives out near Fall City with great twisties and stretches to reach triple digits and minimal "prying" eyes. I don't remember how to get to those roads, but I'm sure Willis will see this thread and chime in.

3. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Tim,

PM me and I'll give you a couple of my regular routes.

4. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Tim,

I just PM you with a route.

5. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Got it, thanks! I can't wait to try it. Of course, it *is* hard to find. Someone may just have to *show* me. ;-)

Tim

6. Sin

Sin Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Is it worth starting a register of NW F-chatters like they have in NY region so when it warms up a little next year we can organize an event or 2?

7. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    probably not since most local NWRFCA members who regularly attend events and drives are always informed via email or on our own "chat" list. plus, many of the members don't peruse fchat.

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    My very favorite road in the NW is Highway 20 EASTBOUND (North Cascades Highway) from Diablo Dam to the outlook at Liberty Bell at about 5:00 am on an August morning.

"Kinda peaceful that time of day"

DJ

9. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    I agree SPASSO, awesome :)

Lots of nice roads on the east side, I live on Ames Lake Rd., try W. Carnation Valley road, the Old Woodinville Duval Rd., the Old Issaquah/Fall City Rd. and then try Issaquah/Hobart road all the way to Black Diamond, then to Flaming Gyser to Hwy 18. I'd be up to show you the route when I get my F-car in April.

Always remember...driveways suck!

10. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    I suspect you just divulged a good part of Willis' route. The Old Woodinville Duval road and the Carnation Valley Road are a couple of my all time favorites for the immedaite Seattle area. Many a day off, or jsut a long lunch break would find me basting either of them. But these routes are far too short for any really serious fun. They’re good for short, quick blasts, but you ‘re just getting into it when the road ends, or civilization happens. And as you allude, far too many driveways.

Unfortunately, there’s a really very limited amount of good roads in the immediate Seattle vicinity. But just a 30 minutes highway blast will get you into some nice remote areas full of the good stuff.

If you're up to a short drive north, the Stanwood to Mt. Vernon area holds dozens of really nice twisty roads that follow the contours of the terrain. Some of my favorites are up here just east of Stanwood in the relatively flat farm land. Roads follow the meandering rivers, as the surrounding land is so precious. Makes for some really fun roads, as long as you keep an eye out for slow moving farm machinery. But there are far fewer driveways as the land is taken up with farms.

Also really fun are some of the roads south of Olympia and west of I-5. More incredible farm land with wonderful twisty bits and long straights that allow one to exercise the upper gears.

11. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Here are a couple of Highway 20 pictures from this summer.

1. line up at Diablo Lake after blasting through the twisties.

12. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    2. going home.

13. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Eric,

No harm done. There are a lot of different variations to drive the routes. I tend to favor the shorter loops for lunchtime drives or whenever I need to satisfy the driving itch. Longer routes and points north are reserved for the weekend runs. I do think that we don't drive enough down in the Olympia area. Great roads there too.

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Beautiful shot of Liberty Bell, Willis. I used to own some property at Lost River, not too far from Mazama. I got to know the pass quite well and always at a 'time efficient' pace. I haven't been across the pass in years though. Couldn't make the last adventure either :-(

DJ

15. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    willis, what's with "blacking out" shelbee's face?

16. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Just honoring his request for privacy.

17. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    DJ,

It was a beautiful day for driving. Wish I had mounted a video camera to capture scenes with 6 Ferraris screaming through the twisties. :)

I hope the club will do the drive again next year.

18. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The vision, and sound of a bunch Fcars tearing through the corners really sticks with me. I think about it for days after. Sounds terminal doesn't it? :)

19. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Willis,
    Lovely pics---almost as nice as Oregon!
    Just another sunny-70 degree day here in Portland!

20. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Marty, Thanks. Gotta do some Oregon runs next year.

It was about 100 degrees when those pictures were taken.

It's near freezing and icy around here today. Good day to enjoy all the football games on TV.

21. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Willis
    That sure was a memorable drive down the North Cascade Highway.
    We're definitely going to have to do that again next summer.
    Funny how those things burn in your memory!

22. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Kuzi,

It would be great to do the run again. Hope to have a better ending next time. :)

23. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Just got back from a short lunchtime drive. Sunny sky but roads are deceptively icy in many places. Be careful out there especially if you decide to take the F-car out for a few warm-up laps.

24. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    Here's one that has some neighborhood coastal scenery:

I-5 South, 272nd St. exit, stay on 272nd to the water (Redondo). You can stop there at "Salty's @ Redondo" for a lunch/dinner, etc. Continue south from Salty's and climb up the hill, this becomes 1st Ave S...before you crest the hill and BEFORE the SR 509 overpass, look for a small green street sign that reads "SR 509" on the right, turn right, at the stop sign, turn right. You're now on SR 509. Follow the signs for SR 509/Dash Point Road...Take this all the way to downtown Tacoma, over the new bridge...you'll end up just south of the Museum of Glass.

Don't worry, you'll get to open it up on the straight section just before Tacoma. Stop by Alfa of Tacoma and check out the shop once there!

25. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Sophia/Peter: Isn't that the scenic route past the sewage treatment plant? I'm just kidding, I drive that loop all the time. It's fun, but it's NOT for speeding, except that final section into Tacoma, like you say. For flagrant low-speed cruising, keep going along the Tacoma waterfront to Ruston, and let 'er rip through the tunnel at the old smelter site, right?