new 348 owner tech help | FerrariChat

new 348 owner tech help

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 360F1, Dec 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360F1

360F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2003
    Full Name:
    360F1
    MEMBERS
    I have recently bought a 1992 348ts 26,000 miles that seems to cut out now and again and run on one bank for 1/2mins then pick up and run ok.It happens when hot or cold, is it the coil for that one bank of 4 or something else.
    Also how do you turn on the parking lights or is it a fuse gone?
    Also water temp gauge not always working what connections do i check.
    I have also put this on the U.K. site but would like more help please.

2. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Try resetting your ECU. To do this, disconnect the battery, your's has a plug devise on the positive cable, just unplug it. Leave it alone for 15-20 minutes. Reconnect the power and start the car. Don't touch the gas or anything else. Let the car idle for 15 minutes. Your ECU will be reset and maybe this will cure your problem. It has mine more than once. Good luck.

3. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Alan- Your car has the Motronic 2.7, which has a self diagnostic feature. Pages C78-C81 in the workshop manual will show you step by step how to download the MIL's to determine your problem. Once you find the problem, simply search the archives by key words for a fix.

4. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    Sounds like you have a bad thermocouple ecu. the insulating material cracks on the seams and allows moisture to infiltrate the electronics causing the failure.

on the 348, they are located behind the rear shock towers with one on each side for each bank. What happens is that the tc ecu sends a false exhaust over temp signal to the motronic ecu which in turn shuts down the bank to lower the temp.

unfortunatly a very common, expensive fail point of the 348.

Determine which bank you are losing and then swap the ecu`s left to right. If the bank lost follows, you have your problem.

best regards, jim

5. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    FWIW - I had some intermittant "slow-down" light messages until I replaced the CATS with test pipes - no more problems....

6. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    I would also suggest to go to the old site and do a search on :
    348 AND "slow down"

there is almost TOO much information available. its a gold mine.