Is the engine the same in the 355 & 360 | FerrariChat

Is the engine the same in the 355 & 360

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by vref, Dec 24, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Is the the same engine in the 355 & 360 or did they change something?

If something was changed, what was it?

Just curious.

2. TeenwhoneedsaFerrari

Dec 23, 2003
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Blair Salter
    yes. it is a different engine.....size has gone up as well as horsepower and torque. These specs didnt change very much and i could not tell you every detail. Ferrari typically names their cars using some number from the engine......examples are the 355 and 360......3.5 litre V8 vs. 3.6 litre V8. 3550 cc vs 3600 cc. I believe that in between the two cars, the most changed aspect was the body(obviously). Things like the transmission and suspension were toyed with no doubt. The two cars push out specs that are VERY close together, including same top speed, maybe only a tenth of a second 0-60 difference. If i remember correct, the 355 uses a light alloy head and block, the 360 engine is completely aluminum i believe. No doubt there a far more changes than i can spit out. you can get all the information i would guess from the Ferrari website, or from a certified dealer. let me know if you have other questions i would be more than happy to do my fair share of research and what not. I love these cars and do not mind learning more about them!

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    The 355 is 3.5 liters, 380 hp, the 360 is 3.6 liters, 400 hp (or 395, depending on where you look).

Gary

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Depends upon what you mean. If you start at the raw castings, then yes, the F355 and F360 engines can be machined from the same raw castings {Block, heads}.

However, all the internals are different {Crank, con rods, pistons, pins, valves, springs, cams, cam timing, headers, intake manifolds, air boxes, ECU, ducting}

The basic state of tune is similar (109HP/litre).

5. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    they do sound different i dont know if its because of the exhaust or something els.

6. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    355 comes from 3.5 litres/5 valves per cylinder.

7. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    spot on Mitch,it would have been far to expensive to cast a new engine,
    block,heads,so they just upped the cc bit of a re map new valve timing figures etc etc,they had a nice engine in the 355 so they kept it alive and the cost to them down,
    Dale.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The Ferrari V8 engine has remained very cloase the the 308GT4 engine. The design of the engine itself,with the removable sleeves and the 180 degree crank etc has not changed. The only thing Ferrari has really done to the engine is cylinder heads and bore size. The casting of the block was redone with the 348 because of the mounting position in the car, and the way the trans sits. The cranks were also changed because of the clutch configuration. But the basic design has not changed since day one.

9. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    And that ends with the 360 replacement...

10. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    Both engines are from the same basic form: DOHC, billet-forged cranks, titanium connecting rods, 5-valves per cylinder, etc.

The numbers are close on paper, but what the numbers don't say is the tremendous difference in the 360's power band. This is due to the use of variable exhaust timing and a trick intake system (dual length runners). The throttle response and low-end power are very different from the 355 to the 360.