BEWARE! Here we go again! | FerrariChat

BEWARE! Here we go again!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Spasso, Dec 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I just received this through Fchat to my personal Email.

The letter was from [email protected] claiming they got my info from www.sweden.com but also shows I can contact the person directly at [email protected].

Any suggestions? Rob?

Confusing yes! Here it is as it appeared on my screen;

This is a message from jaja225 at FerrariChat.com ( http://ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php ). The FerrariChat.com owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email jaja225, you can use this online form:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&userid=3225

OR, by email:
    mailto:[email protected]

This is the message:

PLEASE HELP ME FOR GOD SAKE

DEAR FRIEND,

COMPLIMENT OF THE DAY.I GOT YOUR CONTACT FROM www.sweden.com I SELECTED YOUR NAME AS A TRUST WORTHY PERSON AND GOD FEARING PERSON I CAN TRUST MY ONLY HOPE FUNDS TO.

ANYWAY,THAT IS A LONG STORY.I WILL EXPLAIN TO YOU WHEN YOU CALL BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START FOR THE EXPLAINATION AND AGAIN E-MAIL IS NOT CONFIDENTIAL TO DISCUSS THIS TRANSACTION.

BUT MEANWHILE,I WILL JUST GIVE YOU A LITTLE EXPLAINATION ABOUT THE ASSISTANCE.

JUST ONLY TO HELP ME OUT PROVIDE A VERY GOOD BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER WHERE MY ONLY HOPE FUNDS I INHERIT FROM MY LATE FATHER WILL TRANSFER INTO.

I AM A LITTLE YOUNG BOY OF 22YEARS OLD.MY LATE FATHER WAS A WEALTHY MAN AND SUCESSFUL IN A COCOA BUSINESS.HE IS WELL KNOW IN THE COUNTRY AND NOW DEPOSTED AN AMOUNT OF US$10.5 MILLION DOLLARS IN A BANK WITH MY NAME AS THE NEXT OF KIN BEFORE HIS SUDDEN DEATH AND HE WAS KILLED BY HIS BROTHER WHO IS MY UNCLE.AND THERE IS A COMPENSATION OF 20% FOR YOU FOR HELPING ME OUT.

INSHORT,THAT IS WHY I SAID IT IS A LONG STORY,YOU CAN NOT UNDERSTAND UNTIL YOU CALL ME.JUST CALL ME NOW WITH THIS NUMBER IMMEDIATELY +22505699892 FOR MORE DETAILS.MY PRIVATE E-MAIL IS([email protected] HOPE YOU HAVE A VERY GOOD BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER WHERE THIS FUNDS WILL TRANSFER INTO.ANYWAY,I WILL NOT EXPLAIN AGAIN FOR MY SAFETY REASON UNTIL I RECEIVE YOUR URGENT CALL.

THANKS AND TAKE CARE.

DANIEL BANSI

2. Andrew

Andrew Karting

Feb 26, 2002
    Tokyo, Japan
    It is stupid spam bull****. Just delete it and move on.

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    not really much you can do about this, so long as the email server is plugged up from sending email from f-chat anonymously. if not, rob might be able to find the IP address of the fellow so we can lynch him to death. (you think I'm kidding too)

otherwise, you can make the return address *anything*, even in outlook you can make it *anything*. it isn't so much outlook either, just about any mail application will do it. blaster sent you and you and you and you emails from addresses that were familiar to you, or kicked back undeliverable messages that you allegedly sent. but you didn't. it isn't that difficult at all to falsify headers.

4. Sin

Sin Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
  5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    to compliment adaware, I also use spybot which can be found here: http://www.safer-networking.org/

but this is for email, so I would suggest one of the following:
    www.ihatespam.com
    www.spamnet.com

I have used both, but prefer the latter for ease of use and it catches more (or seems to).

and remember, these programs only fuction well if they are updated often - this means definition updates, not version updates.

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure how or what to identify these things as. I haven't dealt with this crap before but I have seen variations of it sent to others on Fchat.

DJ

7. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    there is a FBI website you can report these emails too.

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    A buddy of mine told me about the FBI site also. Thanks for the input everybody. Just when I get rid of telemarketers with the national 'Do Not Call' registry I start getting this. For their sake they better hope they never meet me face to face.

DJ

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    that sucks spasso. sorry to hear that. if you can get an IP let me know i have some friends that work FOR THE MAN. nuff said.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Interesting, first I've heard of this. I don't think spyware or anything like that will help. That user had to manually use the email functionality. You can turn it off in the User Cp if you want, but I don't recomend that. There's no way for a user to find out another user's email unless you respond back to them. If you send an email through the system, they will know your email, but you have no way to know theirs unless they respond or you posted it directly on the board.

My guess is this user went through and manually sent it out to several.

I will ban them and if they don't have a dynamic ip, then I'll block their IP.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    User has never posted anything, I banned them, but they have a dynamic IP, so can return easily.