Two questions on crossflow radiator design ? | FerrariChat

Two questions on crossflow radiator design ?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by parkerfe, Dec 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I note that my Boxer has a crossflow radiator design whereas the hot water from the engine enters the radiator on the top left side into a tank, flows from left to right through the core into a tank on the right side. What puzzles me is that the cooled water has to somehow then flow back from the right tank to the tank on the left side as the outlet for the cooled water is on the bottom of the left tank below the hot water inlet. Most other crossflow radiators I have seen have the hot water entering the top of a tank on one side and exiting the bottom of the tank on the other side. My two questions are: 1) how does the cooled water flow back to the left side tank and ; 2) what prevents the hot water when it enters the top right tank from just flowing straight down that tank and out the outlet which is also on the left side on the bottom of that tank ? Does anyone know how it works ?

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I believe the Boxer has what is termed a "double pass" crossflow radiator ?

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    After some internet research I have answered my own 2 questions. The Boxer's double pass crossflow radiator has a baffle in the left tank between the inlet and oulet that keeps the hot water from just flowing down from the top inlet to the bottom outlet . So, when the hot water comes into the top left tank inlet it flows across the top 1/2 of the core to the right tank on the other side and then flows back across the bottom 1/2 of the core to the bottom of the left tank and out the outlet, hence "double pass" crossflow. Isn't the internet great !