Where can I find a 'test pipe' for my 328? | FerrariChat

Where can I find a 'test pipe' for my 328?

Discussion in '308/328' started by GrigioGuy, Dec 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I've decided I want to eliminate the fire potential and replace the catalytic converter in my US spec 328. Where can I get a test pipe with the correct fittings and gaskets?

Before you just say "check with the sponsors", I have indeed contacted two sponsors and did not recieve any response at all.

So, who has in their possession a pipe that will fit and will sell/ship it to me?

2. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Stebro or Tubi make good test pipes. I personally like the Stebro unit since it costs much less than the Tubi and sound better IMHO. Check the Stebro website and look for the "Euro Resonator" (aka test pipe). They have great customer service and prompt delivery. For more info, search the archives on the old Fchat site for Stebro or Euro Resonator.

Ken
    308QV

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Eric Johnson (Gamester) was making test pipes for users. I'm not sure which sponsors you contacted, but I would try Mensi and HG Parts.

5. atheyg

atheyg Guest

You can take your old cat off and bring it to a muffler fabricator to make you one for less than $120.00 that is equal or better than the factory unit,I have the OEM test pipe made by Ansa and they have rough welds, make sure they also make the bungs.

You can reuse the donuts if you put some high temp copper RTV on them, if your muffler bolts are rusty you may need to cut them off, the Ferrari nuts have special cuts in them to act as a lock nut and the only place to get them is a Ferrari parts reseller.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It is the holidays so be patient....I also know that both Nick at Nick's Forza Ferrari and Kermit at Durable1 both carry them...around $299.

I think the "fire hazard" is over blown. It would require one bank of the ignition to fail...and for you to continue driving it that way for it to possibly happen. It will make the exhaust louder though, which can be a nice thing.

As mentioned previously, you should be able to reuse all the hardware and gaskets. If you do need replacement gaskets, get them from Midas, way cheaper than the dealer.

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I ordered one from Stebro (stebro.net) yesterday and it will be delivered to my mechanic by Friday. Excellent customer service, highly recommended on that basis. I'll let you know what I think of the pipe itself next week.

8. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Yes, let us know what you think, sound and power-wise. I talked to the shop about putting those on my 308, since this coming year (2004) I won't need the emission test anymore. Mike told me I'd only get 2-3 hp and not much difference in sound. So I'll probably pass for now, but still interested!

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    ronr,
    It will not change the tone of the exhaust note, just make it slightly louder. There is not much performance enhancement, but some will do it, if only for the louder note, and added peace of mind, if there is a ignition failure. Nothing wrong with that.

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Will do. I'm doing this mainly because I'm still paranoid about the fire threat despite claims that it's overblown. I know of one 328 owner who came close to candling the car, and I'd rather not be the one who actually does! The car was going in for a re-tune anyway, might as well take care of that part too. I'd actually prefer the 328 to be quieter :p

11. atheyg

atheyg Guest

My impression of the test pipe is that it helps the bottom end more, the sound is deeper at idle and the low end

It will reduce the temp of the rear storage area significantly and also will keep the front bank cooler

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I removed the twin cats from my 308 and didn't notice much difference in the heat of my trunk...still quite warm, but have heard others say they noticed it being much cooler.

13. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    If you would like the car to be quiter, the Stebro is not going to make you happy.

I got the Stebro resonator in my 328, and it makes not a bit louder, but a lot. Not only that below 3000 is also a deeper sound, so much deeper, that I find myself from time to time firing the alarms of my neighbourgs cars when I pass by in the residential area where I live.

I also can tell you that the care feels way more responsive at lower rprms. The 328 Cat is really restrictive so it is not a surprise that the car breaths better without it. However it is tru that in my case there are more variables that might be influencing the results, as for example as I live in Spain now, I am using now 98 Octane gas, that should be something like a 95 US octane.

And finally the trunk it is also way cooler, so much that in winter now here in Madrid, Spain, after 60 km drive (40 miles) the trunk is still cold. Before, when I had the Cat, I could boil an egg in the trunk even in winter.

One last thing, after installing the Resonator you will notice a strange smell, it will last about 200 miles, until the oil used when they machined the test pipe burns out.

This is just my experience, with the Stebro Resonator.

- Julio

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I got to drive the car today with the new resonator on it. The sound is nice, just a bit deeper than before and maybe a touch louder, but nothing obnoxious. Still relatively quiet inside the cockpit at sane speeds.

Jim Bob says 2 thumbs up.

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Nice. Pleae advise on the trunk heat issue too.

16. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Tillman, neither Bob nor I were there. No thumbs yet!

I can't wait to hear it.

17. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I hadn't heard about the heat reduction benefits. Hope that works out well. I'm anxious to hear it too!

18. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    This is the last update....

I finally got to compare my car against stock 328s.

The sound from the Stebro is MUCH deeper and (for lack of a better term) stronger. I hadn't realized how much louder it was, but it definitely was overpowering the other cars.

I suspect that a Stebro might be on a few to-do lists locally :)

Bottom line, I'm just happy with the product and the service.