I can add the 550 to Ferraris I've driven... | FerrariChat

I can add the 550 to Ferraris I've driven...

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by rob lay, Dec 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I thought Christmas was just going to be the usual with the Grandparents and mom in College Station, TX. However, Dale (Dr. Tax) gave me the idea that I should come down to the Woodlands Friday morning for a rally. I wasn't doing anything in College Station the 26th anyway and The Woodlands is only about an hour away.

I arrived to find a great collection of cars for the run. Here's the thread for the event in the Texas section...

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3919

I rode shotgun with Dale in his beautiful silver 550. After the first stop he let me take the keys for the next two sections. Oh my gosh, what a great experience. So much power & torque, but with a modern refined feel vs. the Testarossa I drove previously. I only took it to about 115, but that's the easiest 115 I've ever felt. Later Dale got it to the 150-160 range and it still felt very stable. It was easy to drive right from the start and I think with another hour in it I would be smoother on the shifting.

Thanks Dale!

That adds another Ferrari to my driven list, although it's still pretty short.

308 i
    308 qv
    355 Challenge
    Testarossa

2. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Awesome! What color is the interior?

3. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Thats nice!!
    I love that color on that 550 Maranello!!

Great list of Ferrari's you've driven so far. :)

4. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hmmmm, at first I wasn't sure that was Dales car. The hood wasn't up and a slippery green fluid wasn't oozing from underneath.:) LOL, sorry Dale, couldn't help it.:)

BTW, Rob I'm right there with ya on the list:
    308 2V
    308 QV
    TR
    512M

5. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Rob, was the 550 much more fun to drive over a 3x8? Even at city speeds? Maybe this might help sway my decision :)

Ive been lucky enough to ride in a 550 and that thing really is a Beast...just as you described!

Well, Ive been very fortunate to be able to drive a 308 GT4, and a 328. Both were wonderful cars!

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think I just need a 8 and a 12. Simply it comes down to throwing a 8 around like it's on a track or opening a 12 up like you're racing 1,000 km accross Italy.

For our drive Friday it was a day for the 12's. Open cop free roads with few stops or turns. The Diablo, Countach, TR, 550, and 575 shined. If it was a track day the 355 and GT3 would of been king. I think the 8 is more practical and suited for 90% of the driving I do. I still want a 12 though.

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Very cool Rob - Glad to hear Dale is as nice as he comes across in his posts. :)

8. francisco j. quinones

francisco j. quinones Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2002
    Panama City,FL
    Full Name:
    Francisco J. Quinones
  9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ah Rob, I forgot to tell you that when you look at the speedo from the passenger side it, ah, creates an optical illusion and appears to be going faster than reality. I have had to explain this to my wife several times.

So acutally all posted speed limites were observed and followed at all times in addition to all other aspects of the rules and regulations under the Texas diving code. Well, okay, maybe there were a few times going downhill where we got, maybe, 10 miles over the the limit. But that's all. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Also no animals were harmed on the run (except for a few bugs and who cares) and no animal byproducts were fed to to any insane cows.

Other hand, that devil in the blue dress Luigi was doing some serious driving. Man, I didn't know that kit cars could go that fast...

DrTax

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Is this Dave with the bald tires? Man, you need to get new tires. You were slipping and sliding all over the place in New Orleans. Meant to tell you before I left...

Dale

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Driving different Ferraris is the ultimate experience in my opinion. Here my proud list so far:

Mondial
    512TR

I always feel so grateful when somebody hands me the keys. It is truly a gift to me. So thanks to you guys who made my year brighter!

12. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Dale is a good egg, Rob. Glad you finally have witnessed the 550 first-hand!

Mine:

308 Euro
    Mondial Coupe
    TR
    512TR
    360 Coupe
    360 Spider
    275 Spyder

so far.....

:)))))

13. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Dale,
    I never got the keys!!!!! Seriously though that is a cool thing to do. I got a ride in the same car on the way to the track and a few laps before the little mishap in New Orleans. It was my very first V12 Ferrari ride and I'll never forget it. Thanks again Dale and you know if your ever in Pensacola let me know. Dinner is on me.

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Lets see:
    355 Spider
    TR
    512TR
    Mondial
    F40
    360 Spider
    Dino
    Does a Fiat Dino also count?

15. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Shoot, I forgot a 355 & a 355 Spider & a 348 Challenge...

16. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Ultra-cool that you were allowed to drive. A true enthusiast shares the joy of his/her cars with people by letting them try it out. Kudos to the 550 owner.

17. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    I think I saw this same car parked outside a BBQ restaraunt, I like that interior scheme a lot. Izzat titanium on the outside?

18. shelbee

shelbee Guest

How about ENZO??

19. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Love to drive them. My list:
    Mondial coupe
    Mondial spider
    348 ts
    348 spider
    348 Serie Speciale
    355 berlinetta
    355 ts
    355 spider
    355 Serie Fiorano F1
    360 coupe 6 speed
    360 coupe f1
    360 spider 6 speed
    360 spider f1
    265 GTS
    512 BB
    512 BBi
    Testarossa
    512 TR
    512 M
    456 GT
    456M GT
    456M GTA
    355 challenge
    360 challenge
    F50
    F40
    Enzo
    Sat in 360 GT
    Sat in 333SP

And the topper.......My friends McLaren F1. He let me have it for three days to drive.....Wow, wow, wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Many of you have heard my story on this one......Wow...GRINNNNNN:>)

All right. I admit I had a slight advantage over most people. I worked at FoDallas for three years.............;>)

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    James, I don't know whether to bow or flip you off. :D Congrats!

21. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Rob,

I did have a certain advantage over most on this list except maybe James G. At least I did let everyone know I was sorta cheating........

But, you know that Mr. Risi would not have allowed me to drive the cars the way you get to. I had to drive with much more "reserve". The McLaren was the only car I got to "drive". The owner of the car told me to really drive it. So I DROVE it.......:>)

I know you have fun driving the ones you have driven. Oh, BTW, did I say I got to drive a silver with red/green stripe 355 challenge????? Very slowly Rob, very slowly. Just around the side of the building...really!!!!

22. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Rob,

I did admit I had a slight advantage over most people and that I kinda, sorta cheated in a way.

But, you know that Mr. Risi would not allow me to drive the cars with the sense of adventure you get to use. I had to drive with much more "reserve". All except the McLaren. The owner of it told me to really drive it so I DROVE it.

BTW, did I say I also drove a certain silver with green/white/red stripes and white wheels 355 challenge?????? Very slowly Rob, very slowly. Just around the side of the building.... Reallly!!!!!!

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    James, I can assure you that Rob drove like the boy scout that he is. While certain members on that run were expecting Rob to drive like a "Bat Outta Hell," he only hit the rev limiter once or twice. And those 360 burn outs were not his fault, I forgot to turn the ASR on. :)

Actually, it is rather nice having a warranty. Thanks FNA.

DrTax

24. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    And how much did you say that new set of rear tires and full set of pads and rotors is going to be?????

Rob,
    Dave been betty, betty good to you. Someone told me that it looked like Alex Zanardi had been there doing a victory burnout................

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay

hey, that car sounds familiar. :)