jack points for 86 TR | FerrariChat

jack points for 86 TR

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gabriel, Dec 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Greetings to all:

I'm about to remove the fuel pumps on the TR.
    I know where the rear jack points are, but where are the safe places to set the jack stands?
    -Thanks!

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Some people use the factory jacking points just in front of the rear wheel wells. But I prefere putting jackstands under the frame rails, just aft of where the rear subframe bolts to the main chassis. Jacking the car up can be a challenge, I'm not too fond of the idea of going side to side and "see-sawing" the car up. I've heard horror stories of chassis flex causing windshields to shatter. So I use a piece of 4X4 on the jack and simply wheel it under the motor/trans and lift the rear end that way, nice and even. You MUST BE SURE THAT THE LOAD IS SPREAD OUT EVENLY, common sense here. Others have told me I'm nuts for doing it this way, but I've never had a problem. I also made some short ramps that I drive the car onto prior to lifting it up...this provides the ground clearance needed for the floor jack to roll under the car. Make sure you unhook the battery, and have a fire extinguisher handy when working on anything fuel system related. You can never be too cautious.

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I almost agree. I have not done it that way. I do agree with the subframe lift, but i have done it on the side of the driver first, and then the passenger. I agree to be carefull of flexing. I have also done the drive up the ramp and then lift the back. Becareful you dont scrape your front facia, and remeber not to high our your smack the rear. Keep us posted when done.
    Cheers.
    R

4. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I just replaced the sending unit and the rubber hose that connects the two tanks. Now my gas gauge works and I don't have to worry about old dried out rubber hoses leaking gas on the engine. I think the sending unit was a couple of hundred bucks and it was an upgraded model from a new model so some wiring had to be adjusted. The hose was on it's last leg and about to let go. Good luck on your project.
    Kelly