308 stock reverse lamps replaced with halogen bulbs | FerrariChat

308 stock reverse lamps replaced with halogen bulbs

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by BobH, Dec 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BobH

BobH F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Morristown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Robert H
    Has anyone made a switch on their 308 from the stock reverse light bulbs to 50 watt halogens? Italiancarparts offers a pair of bulbs that can be installed without circuit modification. I was wondering if anyone knew the bulb information. Their catalogue price of $30 plus $9 for shipping means local cost should be around $20.

2. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    Stock bulbs are 21watts each, upgrading to 2 - 50s, will add 58 watts or about 5 amps to the lighing circuit, wiring should take it but Ferraris are known for sub par elec. systems. fuse box connectors should be checked for any heating.

3. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    The reverse light is not used for very long periods of time, but would the additional heat of a 50 watt bulb cause any problems to the lenses?

4. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    First Question:
    Why would you? There i no need to light up the neighborhood when you drive out of your garage.
    On my 840BMW I have burned the wiring harness with the halogen bulbs that were higher than the original lights. I can only advise you NOT to from experience.

5. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I did this a few years back with no neg. effects. I got the bulbs at an auto parts store and I seem to recall it only cost about $8 each. Works great.

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    What Martin said.
    You haven't lived until you've seen smoke coming from a lens or harness. And you need to see it. Otherwise...

7. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Wax until you've owned a few Jags you can't appreciate wiring. You know Lucas (the prince of darkness) and the problems they have had. Make Ferrari look good. Check your connections and convert your fuse block and you should have no problems.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Don't do it! If, by accident you leave the car in reverse too long (not sure how long might be too long..) you WILL melt the center "clear" portion of the tail lights. How do I know this? I have seen used orange 308/328 tail lights for sale on Ebay with just such damage, and the seller explained that he installed the "halogen back up light" conversion, and ruined his. I also saw a 308 at a car club gathering once, and the owner admitted using the halogen bulbs too.

Use at your own risk...but I wouldn't.

9. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I just don't understand why you would want to change them in the first place?

Driving lights I can see. They give better light. That has a positive effect on safety but reverse lights?

10. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig

Martin,

If you had to back down my 150 ft long driveway in the dark with no street lights, you wouldn't ask-- trees on one side and rocks and a dropoff on the other. I changed mine to halogen then changed them back again after the lamps in my daily driver melted the housing. Anyone want to buy some slightly used 50W lamps?....

11. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Right - I've seen the melting thing happen quite a lot. If you park the car with it in reverse and the key on, then the lights will be on. Not worth the risk, in my opinion...

-Wayne

101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series Coming 2004...
    101 Projects for Your Porsche 911... Available Now!
    How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines Now Available!!!