Poor Ferrari Cab, at Jet Terminal | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Poor Ferrari Cab, at Jet Terminal

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by davewapinski, Dec 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG

Drew you may want to search the archives for the threads on Home depot / B&Q Ferrari trips.
    doesnt matter how nice / fast / expensive this things are they are all still cars and should be used as such, I'm sure dave cleans all the salt and dirt off regularly so no harm done.

personally I can't fit lumber in my Ferrari's but can get cements, gravel, plants etc in (I use my 911 for lumber as you suggested roof down does the job perfectly, did get a bit cramped when I had a cement mixer in last year!)

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Always do what would make YOU happy. Enzo definitely would have been pleased! :)

3. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Exactly! That car being used (even in the snow) is probably better off than the garage queens sitting around parked for years on end. Sure, the garage queen stays cleaner, but that does not mean anything when it comes to reliability.

Personally some people need to get a clue and realize that although it is a Ferrari, it is still a car. I drove our '90 348ts in the snow a couple of times (accidentally) and it was no big deal. Sure, traction was low, but sitting there crying about the car getting dirty is just stupid.

4. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    LOL! I took our '95 Carrera 4 Cab to Lowe's to pick up some landscaping as well. You should have seen the look on the peoples faces when we pulled up in between some trucks to load up the Porsche. Priceless. :)

5. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    How so? More details please...

6. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Dave,
    I love it! :)

Glad you see you also use it for tax write off. Keep those pictures for the IRS if they ever come to question if you truly use the car for advertisement. They can not argue with those pictures.

Love it! Just love it!

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Dear Friends (Tom B. Napolis, and Dave.)
    I am a big fan of using the car in all conditions. My two fcars are no different. My 74 308gt4 has 300,000 miles on it (orginal paint), and the kids and I go through McDi drivethru and head to the docks to our boat while eating big macks!!

When looking at the photo's it looks more like foolishness because to me personally its like an insult. Example, a beautiful woman who is drop dead beautiful naked in the snow. A naked beutiful woman should not be covered in snow all alone. It just doesn't seem right, if shes in the snow there naked and driven hard, by all means its acceptable.
    Get my point ???

Just doesn't seem to make sense....same goes for fcars that are garage queens. A naked beautiful woman at home and never gets touched, another waste.

Just my .2cents.....but isn't great that we live in such a beautiful part of the world where are biggest concern is which 100k car we put our lumber in? Good bless and Happy New yr !!!

8. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    To All the US Neurotic Fcar Owners:

If you ever by chance visit the factory.....your garage queen that you are afraid to get wet and God forbid....do anything more than get a good parking space at a restaurant (like a track event...and get it dirty :0)...there are little Italians that take your brand new car out of the factory gates and drive it....HARD...through the mountains and autostrada around Maranello....whether it's bright and sunny, rainy, snowy or whatever. The show must go on. And guess what...the car won't melt or fade away or blow up! And then....oh my God...your car is then placed on an open trailer, just like a Chevy, to be shipped to your local Fcar dealer.

Ferrari's are cars and are meant to be driven....and driven hard!!

Happy Holidays!

Dino

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think it's great, although as a past Mondial Cab owner I find it hard to imagine that the top doesn't leak at all.

I had my 456 out in some (light) snow today. It did much better than I expected, although I didn't hang around too long to see how it would do if the snow got worse. Audi A6 Quattros are much more practical for that...

10. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.

11. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Dave

What does the writing say on the door? I think it’s a great vehicle to help promote you business, I’d certainly remember you!

12. davewapinski

davewapinski Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2003
    Also I cleaned the snow off the Ferrari (for the most part).

Cleaned the snow out of the side air intakes.

Got the snow pack off the rear air vents. Only cleaned a few completely.

Pumped the accelator (sp) twice.

Cracked the accelator a hair.

Started immediately on the first crank.
    (Had been sitting in the cold for about a week. Temp just below 20 F. Wind chills below 0).
    Even after 15 minutes of warming up, the shifting was still stiff.

If I expect extreme weather, I do not take the Ferrari. However, as a daily driver, it goes in whatever weather is found. I also get to enjoy the Ferrari driving experience more.

When I can afford the 360 Spider replacement (or the 360 Spider if Ferrari blows it), I will do the same with it.

On the signs, wanted:

Not to interfer with the beauty of the Ferrari.

Be easily readable.

Look professional.

Suggest speed, motion.

I will post some photos later so you can be the judge.

Anyway they say:

wapinski.com
    computers & imaging

We are moving to a new server farm this weekend. It is in the climate controlled bank vault of an old Bank of America building. That should be secure enough. If you go to the web site, there could be times of temp outages since we also have to depend on others to do their part in the move.

First Quarter the web site will be greatly expanded.

Second Quarter we will kick off a marketing campaign. So it is a good time to put signs on the first Ferrari.

Wapinski's, Inc. was profitable in its first quarter and has never had an unprofitable quarter. However, it has been much struggle.

On the roof leaking. It does not. However, previous owner had put new seals on it and the clamping force borders on excessive. I have heard of other owners where new seals have solved leaking problems. As the new seals wear, I except that leaking will become a problem.

May the new year bring many exciting adventures,
    Dave Wapinski

Main sites:

http://www.wapinski.com

http://www.dave-wapinski.com

13. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Why not put snow tires on it? Better yet, chains. Next thing, can see if you can get a snow plow for the front of it. Once again proving, their are nice cars, and there are cars that become piles of ****.

14. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Norm,
    Are you saying that by enjoying our cars year 'round we are turning them into piles of sh*t ? Isn't that a bit of an overstatement ?

Tom

15. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Not an issue with enjoying your car year round, if the climate and weather allow it. But, in most areas where there is snow, salt is used on the roads. Nothing like a nice drive in a salt bath on the body, chassis & electrical. We had over 10' of snow last year, so I've seen 1st hand what happens to cars over time when driven in snow and on crappy roads.

Sorry, but I couldn't imagine driving a Ferrari in that type of weather, unless a real fluke for circumstances. I could count the number of times my Ferrari had even seen rain.

you want to drive your Ferrari in the snow and on crappy roads go ahead. I'll be willing to bet it'll end up as a pile of **** over time.

16. shelbee

shelbee Guest

No car details needed

17. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Norm

have you owned your car from new, if you havent then you may want to consider what the previous owners did to it, in it and on it!!!

18. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Hmmm......this thread is developing into the no-win debate of cars as investments or cars as ......I see them. Whatever. "Different strokes for different folks." Gotta go now. I have to take the Ferrari out for a drive in the rain. It helps wash the salt off . :)

Tom

19. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Not driving any car is not using it for what it was built for. I had a 360 Modena for 9 months last year and drove 11k miles in that time. I have a very famous neighbour a few doors away who bought a 360 Spider two years ago which I have only seen out of his garage two or three times.

20. davewapinski

Nov 24, 2003
    On a typical year, I drive about 35,000 miles.

For the US Government, I have supervisied tests and driven vehicles at the Artic Test Center at -40 and -50.

I have also driven vehicles setting up mobile computer centers in the jungles of South America.

I have driven most of the US in both good and bad conditions, parts of Canada, much of Europe, most of the Orient, places like Egypt and Africa, and even places like Tahatii.

I think I know more about properly maintaining vehicles than Norm.

Yesterday I was driving the Ferrari in a snow storm. It was much fun and will increase my fond memories of Ferrari driving.

The Ferrari continues to amaze me as how well it performs in the snow/ice and rain.

I think it has to do with the car design, the weight in the back, and also the tires. I talked to four experts in tires. All said that the Z rated track tires were dangerous in the snow - after all they are designed for max performance on the track. All 4 recommended the Michelin Z rated All Season tire. I do not know if it is the best, but it is a great tire.

May this year be filled with many exciting adventures,
    Dave Wapinski

21. davewapinski

Nov 24, 2003
    The Ferrari handles in snow/ice and rain far, far, far, far better than the average car.

22. davewapinski

Nov 24, 2003
    Norm,

Why do you have so much anger that you need to put down others who disagree with you or who have chosen a different path?

23. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Every year at Christmas my wife's side of the family draws names and you have to make a gift for the person who you pick instead of buying one. Our uncle Herb picked my brother-in-law Tom. Everyone was envious that Tom got picked by Uncle Herb as everyone knows that he is a master craftsman.

Christmas morning everyone exchanged their gifts and got the usual something that someone else slapped together (usually stuff that ends up getting junked) except for Tom who got a bird hotel/feeder from Uncle Herb that must have took him days to make. Everyone talked about the gift all day and a lot of people took pictures of it as it was something else.

The following year I went over to Tom's house with Uncle Herb to help assemble a couch swing. When I walked around the house with Uncle Herb to look for a piece of lumber we saw the bird hotel/feeder buried under some boards and broken.

Everytime I see a Ferrari buried in snow that no one cares about I think of that bird hotel/feeder.

DrewH

24. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Drew,
    I disgree. My Mondial makes an excellent bird feeder. Just fill the back seat with seed, open the sunroof and windows, and watch the excitement.

Uh, did I miss your point ? ;)

Tom

25. davewapinski

Nov 24, 2003
    Just because something is in snow does not mean that it is unloved or uncared for.

You need to take some logic classes.