Looking for pics/stories of beat down Ferraris... | FerrariChat

Looking for pics/stories of beat down Ferraris...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Meeyatch1, Dec 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    I have heard various stories of Ferraris being used for unusual jobs. The Dino that is used to heard cattle, and other various stories. So, share stories or pics of Ferraris you have seen or heard about that have strange stories, or are just plain neglected. I am curious to hear what is out there....

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Here in the USA many people use Ferraris for birth control.

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    One of the saddest stories is of 250 GTO s/n 3589 GT. In 1964, it was considered nothing more than a worn-out race car and was donated to a high school in Victoria Texas to be used by auto shop students:

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    And, as if that wasn't sad enough, it was eventually sold to Joe Kortan of Cleveland, OH who let the car rot in a field for many years, refusing to sell it:

5. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    theres a neurosurgeon in my town his names Dr.Weber and hes got a couple Ferraris one of them is a TR spyder he had made for him and the convertable top on it has gotten ripped a few times and he repaired it with staples.i dont know i just think its weird when i go over to his house and see stables holding together a really nice Red TR spyder's cloth top.

6. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i wouldve loved to be in those kids auto shop classes.

7. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Wayne: I don't think I knew the story about the "shop class" GTO. It couldn't have been used up already in 1964, could it?

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Jeff, good point. It was owned by Tom O'Connor (Rosebud Racing Team) and Tom had actually had quite a bit of success with the GTO. I'm not sure what prompted him to donate it while it was still so young.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    There s a french Dino GT4 owner here in Paris who owns a restaurant and who uses his car to go buy Oysters at the Fish market near Paris every morning or so..

Cant imagine the smell ...

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA

This car was fully restored by Engelbert Steiger after he bought it in 1988. It now looks great.

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I think every GTO has been in an accident at some point :) Here are some:

12. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  14. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    in the first picture you posted it looks like that GTO is making some painful face.

15. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    This is the same car that Wayne posted but at a very early stage in its racing career in 1962, driven by Mike Parkes during the International Tropy.

Jack

16. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    haha, I know! Doesn't the grille look like a grimmacing mouth?

Here is the worst I've seen. This was after Ernest Prinoth rolled in the Coppa Inter Europa at Monza in September 1964. In October 1962, Henri Oreliller died in the same car at Montlhery.

17. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    And here it is now - fully restored.

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    if i am not mistaken about the gto that was in victoria texas, it wasn't donated until the late sixties (1968, i beleive), where it remained until the early 1970's. the car was donated as it was worn out - more from battle damage, as a new car was purchased. i know someone who was around at the time and the car was a novelty. it was simply an old european race car and nothing more. no one in victoria could have expected, nor could any of us, the car would become so valuable twenty years down the road. i remember a story of bob grossman talking about during the mid seventies, he had three old gtos that he couldn't give away. although the asking prices were between $5-6k, no one was interested. it would be interesting to see a photo of three old gtos sitting in an old garage.

19. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Almost forgot my favorite one... the one in my profile and advertising.

Jack

20. abavai

abavai Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    At Spain , the ferrari 250 gto (Chasis 4153 gt) was driven for Delgado and Eugenio baturone to 1966 to 1970 at the races hillclimb. This car was sold for 1200000 euros at 1970 at the shop service car centre at Barcelona.

21. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Wow...imagine seeing that in a field. A couple of questions.

1.) Where did you find that picture?

2.) What happened to the car eventually?

3.) Why and how did a guy in Ohio end up buying a car donated to a school in Texas, and then just let it sit in a field?

22. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That is great news - seeing her sitting neglected in that field almost brings a tear to the eye!

23. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

24. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I recently saw a GTO at the Ferrari/Maserati event at Mugello. It was being driven hard and was in far from spectacular condition. At least the guy was using it for what is was intended for.

25. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I am sure that was not EUROs but Pesetas. EUROs did not come until 2001 and 1.200.000 is $1,2 Million (or close depending on the day :)).

I can not remember what the Pesetas exchange rate was then. I was one year old, although I was in Spain that year :)