FChat gathering event: Could we pull it off? | FerrariChat

FChat gathering event: Could we pull it off?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Dec 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    What's the chance that all FChatters can do a two day event in the sping or late summer of '04 in a central place in the US? Dallas, Colorado Springs? It would be a hoot! I am not sure if anyone has brought this idea up before. It could be the largest FCar gathering ever. If there was a large hotel that would entertain a cone track for an afternoon and a huge party, this could be one hell of a gathering! I would think that the current FChat sponsors could kick in a few bucks to help things out....Could we do it?

2. francisco j. quinones

francisco j. quinones Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2002
    Panama City,FL
    Full Name:
    Francisco J. Quinones
    Great idea,i'll be there in spirit.
    Frankie.

3. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    gasp! Dallas... in the summer? LOL

or.... take advantage of one of the Concorso show dates and 'oh by the way' the Ferrari Chat group just happened to show up in the same city! It would give a presence for Ferrari Chat to fcar owners alike who are not aware of this site.

- Gabe V.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    RacerX - that *gasp* -
    Could it possibly be the immediate, lingering reaction from opening a door a 1/4" and letting in the dry heat from the blast furnace that is Texas in any part of summer?

Texas heat feels about the same as in Central San Joaquin Valley of CA during summer - "What'd we come to Texas for, man? Feels just like home..."

5. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    That's why I threw in Colorado. How about Kansas? Just a place that all could tolerate the drive. ALSO: For guys like DES that are solid members but do not have a Ferrari, offering a ride to the event would be prudent. This event could get national attention (and Rob can raise his sponsorship fees!)

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Peter i would go with Colorado Myself. Denver might be a good choice also since there is a Ferrari dealership there, A race track to the north, and lots of options of mountain drives.

Just My 2 cents worth :)

Rob Guess "The Other Rob"

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We discussed this right before we switched over to the new software. Basically it came down to the FChat users are already organizing dozens of events all over the world. Most of the people are local that participate, but they also attract those traveling out of town. Anyone can start an event and just invite everyone. I doubt too many will travel a distance, but it does happen. I went to Atlantic City this year for a FC gathering. Four of the top Five posters went to California for an event this year. Indy has been the closest thing to a national gathering we've had. The past two years we've gathered in Indy for a nice dinner with users from all over.

It's possible in the future we can do more formal events with insurance and all. Until then I can't really involve FC, but you can create whatever events you want and promote them on FC.

8. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Rob..Without your support, that's discouraging. I would think that an event coordinator can handle all of the details that you have issues with. If 300-500 members had interest in such a venue, it may make sense to take a look at it.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think this is possible within 3-4 years, but not right now. Human nature and my experience is users are 90% all talk, but no action. The 10% that have followed through would be a turnout of 15-20 in Atlantic City and 30 in Indy.

I like the smaller groups anyway. Up to about 30-40 is perfect. I would rather have dozens of get togethers around the world than one large gathering. Again, I don't think you could get 50 people to a national gathering and 40 of those would be local.

10. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Understood. Maybe I can mention this in the N.CA section for a regional something or another.

11. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    I am involved in a Sunbeam Tiger club. (CAT California Assoc.of Tigers)

Every year we have a long weekend gathering. With another Tiger club, we alternate hosting duties. We call them Tigers United, because it is several clubs united. Last year was the 27th event.

One day we hold a rally and a Quiz on Tiger trivia. The second day is an autocross. The last day is a concours.

We give a perpetual trophy to the owner of a car that gets the most points in all the events. This is great because to win, the driver must be willing to flog it on the Auto X track and then the next day make it shine in a concours. This format rewards people for driving their cars, the way they were intended.

We typically attract 60 or so cars. That's almost 1percent of all Tigers made!

Last year it was in Lake Tahoe, next year in Park City Utah. What all the venues have in common is warm weather, great scenery and NO HUMIDITY.

I have never seen another club combine all three of these types of events into one weekend AND make participation in all of them the key to a trophy. I really like this concept, and I think it would work well with Ferrari's

Erich

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    It sounds like a great idea. We here in the Chicago area have been discussing drives,both short ones and long ones.(But,not TOO long!) To do with our Ferrari's. I also own a Corvette,(#7) and there are a few National events that people from all over the country attend. There's Bowling Green,KY. where they make 'Vettes. Or,"Bloomington Gold" which used to be in Bloomington,Il.But,is now in St.Charles,Il. a few miles west of where I live. Or,"Corvettes at Carlisle",in Carlisle,PA. All of these events draw cars from all over the Country. And,I say,that if the 'Vette guys can do it,then we sure as Hell can! (hey,I'm a 'Vette guy,too.) But,a Ferrari event that big would be awesome!!! I don't have a map in front of me,but just off the top of my head,St.Louis comes to mind as being pretty much right smack dab in the middle of the Country. And,they have an FCA branch there,too. Good BBQ. Easy to get to from anywhere in the U.S. Maybe not as Hot as Dallas. Just a thought! But,I'd definitely be up for a National event. Sounds great!

13. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    How about Maui!

14. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Sounds great Allen. So if i understand this, you are going to fly everyone out put them up at 4 and 5 start resorts plus ship the cars there and back?

Sign Me up :)

15. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    everyone would have to put on a name tag with thier screen name
    so someone doesent go around asking everyone

"are you DES??are you DES??"

16. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    i live in Colorado Springs; not too hot in summer, 6500ft elevation makes for moderate weather IF you can pick the weekend that it doesn't rain/hail/thunder/lightning/gail force winds etc. (Aug/Sept best months).

We have a shopping center parking lot in town that has an inpromptu car show every Saturday throughout the summer that can be pretty big as to turnout.

Not too much to do here, but C Springs makes an excellent demarcation point to go elsewhere (mountains towards Pikes Peak - some excellent winding roads and scenery unbelievable!).

Contact Ferrari of Denver (very active in FCA/FOC) see if they want to get involved if this goes off and Colorado is chosen....