SL600 question... | FerrariChat

SL600 question...

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bostonmini, Dec 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    This is not even an italian car question, but a friend of a friend is terminally ill, yet wants to have an SL600 for a year until he expires (or is expected to do so). He doesn't want to lose too much on the vehicle for the sake of his son, but wants to know what the one year depreciation is/is expected to be. Also, if anyone knows of a TOP NOTCH stereo (aftermarket, car audio) place in L.A. it would be appreciated.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i assume you mean an R230 (the current SL series)? depreciation will probably be horrendous on the first year. the R230s haven't held up that well once we got past the first pent up demand.

if you mean an R129 (the last SL series), those should do well over a year.

maybe there's a one year lease option to be hammered out with somebody?

good luck.

doody.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Doody, a local dealership just flipped a 2002 SL600 that it took in on trade for... drum roll... $60K.

Out of curiosity, I asked the local MB dealer what he'd give me in a trade for a 2001 E55 with 30k miles on a M-500, he said... high $30s.

Sad to say, but MBs are taking major, major hair cuts now-a-days. So on a new SL600, I'd figure 20%-25% for the toll charge. However, if I was advising your friend, I'd tell him to go for it regardless.

Sorry to hear about this, Dale

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    wow $60K - that's horrible!

although i've been actively watching the R230 market (i came THIS close to buying an SL55), i think i've decided that, in the end, i'm an R129 slut.

i'm going to wait for the SL600 Silver Arrow edition cars to come down and maybe pick one up in a year or two for the stable. i am sans droptop these days....

doody!

5. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    60k is appalling.

Doody, I havent heard much about those Silver Arrow SL cars, do you have any info or maybe a link to a page with stuff like that on it?

Thanks

6. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,if a used 600SL will do. There's one in the January DuPont Registry. A 1997. Silver,with Ash Interior. Says "Below average miles". "All service current". I do not know anything about this car,or the dealership thats selling it,but it is offered at $29,950.00 at some place called River-Benz Motors. 812-284-2854. Just passing along the info.

7. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    everyone has been superhelpful...i think tho, he meant one of the 2003's...i didnt even know they were here yet!

8. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    bostonmini - autotrader lists a whole bunch of them for sale. prestige imports seems to have like a dozen of the damn things!

jordan - can't point you to any specific data offhand, but the Silver Arrow cars were basically the last of the R129 production. i believe they're all 2002 cars, and came in both 500 and 600 flavors. largely cosmetic stuff. might have had bigger wheels. i believe they're all silver (oddly enough). they were having a bear of a time moving R129s as the R230s were getting ready to roll - they were pulling all stops out to not totally have R129 sales tank (IMO).

doody.

9. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

My neighbor has a SL500 Silver Arrow that they let me 'play' with when I'm home from school- great car, alot of fun to drive. They had a '99 (?) SL500 before they got the new car and it seems that the suspension is a bit tighter, the brakers are better, there is an aerodynamic side molding to make the car appear sportier, a beautiful two tone leather interior, nice big sport wheels (I can get the size if you're curious), and some nicely appointed "Silver Arrow" graphics.

I have tons of pictures on my computer but our DSL is down and I refuse to operate on a 56k- as soon as it's back up, I'll upload it...

BTW, the SL500, although a significantly more expensive car then our Z3 3.0l, is not as much fun to drive. Yes, I know the SL's are touring cars- but you can definetly feel their weight..

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Yes, the R230 SL 500 is a bore to drive. Yuck !
    And it sounds like a parisian cab.

11. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    The old generation SL's are the last of the "great" MB's. "great" being bank vault materials and build quality- I would love to get one some day for my wife (and me:) ) as the prices have come way down for clean-low mileage ones, but I've got enough $ in cars for the next few years.

I still love the way they look even with the design from 1990. From a price/value standpoint, the 1992-1995 or so cars seem to be the best to buy- I actually like the square mirror look better than the swoopier look of the newer cars, and they are much cheaper.

That said, the new SL55AMG is some car- awesome performance and great looks AND sound! The "regular" SL50 doesn't do much for me based on the price & 300HP moving all that weight.

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The best Benzes to buy from a quality standpoint are pre MY 95's. MY 96's were when the cost cutting programs kicked into effect. All Benzes will take a bath in depreciation. That's what happens when you decide to go down market in search of revenue. In a race to the bottom, nobody wins.

13. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

SL600's are usually worth the same as SL500's 12 months after you drive them out of the showroom. Use that as your guideline. BTW this theory can safely be applied to the coupe and sedan 12 cylinder cars as well.

I worked at an MB dealer for the last 7 years. Buy a used 2003 and you should be OK......perhaps advise your friend to do a 2 year pre-paid lease. Less out of pocket cash upfront and the option of selling/returning the car at the end.