Here is a car for an Ebay risk taker | FerrariChat

Here is a car for an Ebay risk taker

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JSL, Dec 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
  2. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Don't look at myself either :)

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    It's a bank repo so what is what the big deal? I've seen many cars like this, (manheim auto auctions) spend some cash & get a PPI. If its a jinxed F car don't worry about it, just keep looking until you find what you want.

I do wonder what the buyer paid for it from the bank auction.

4. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Solipsist,

There is a giant diference between bank repo and Salvage title. I purchase from manheim regularly and have yet to find a highline car come through a bank lane with a salvage title.

although I agree with you that for the money and some absorbtion of risk...you may get a fair car and fair price...I wouldn't be able to sleep with a salvage title.

Mario

5. vette79

vette79 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    heck the reserve hasnt even been met and theres no buy now button so for all you know it could have a reserve set at 60-100k.

6. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Vette

I saw a buy now price of $65,000, but from the pic of the speedo I'd doubt the mileage, those numbers are a bit too out of line for me and with no history!!!!

7. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Yup. Spotted that too. Those numbers look like they are all over the place!

8. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    The buy now is $ 65K but who knows where the reserve is.
    When I do e-bay with reserve I use the full retail asking price as a reserve and the reserve met is lower at the wholesale level.

What this car needs is a good PPI.

The Salvage comes easy. A hit and the title is branded in its early life.

What I do not like is that he said it is a 99 when it is a 95, although at one point he said it is a 95. but right underneith it is a 99 again.

I wonder how old the title is.

9. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    With the price of Ferrari parts, I wouldn't be surprised if it really IS a nice car. An insurence company will total a car for less than the retail price of the vehicle. Who knows how much damage the car may have sustained and to what degree the workmanship of the tech who did the repair fixed it. Could be near as good as new, or a real piece of crap. I'd agree with Martin, a good PPI would let you know..............

10. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve

I agree, could be a great car or a piece of junk!
    The other thing to watch is the seller has '0' feedback!

11. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    salvage titles don't bother me, either. You can get a great car with a salvage title, or a crappy car with a normal title. The car needs to stand on its own merits.

Ed

12. pig4bill

pig4bill Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Salvage titles are not important if you plan to keep it until the wheels fall off. Otherwise, you're going to have trouble selling it even at a very low price. If this car is mechanically fine, it might be worth the current high bid of $53,600. The $65k buy it now price is too high, imo.

13. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    ditto the above odometer " funny business" i dont yet own a fcar but i have had plenty of cars and have only seen a " confused " odo reading like that when someones tried to mess with it. salvage titles dont bother me , but its not like i have 65k to spend on a car so resale value at this level is a factor since most people sell/trade cars every few years. be neat to watch this one and see what happens.

14. F355guy

F355guy Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Full Name:
    John P.
    Not like I'm going to buy it or anything but he/she has a poor description of the car and the pictures are terrible like as if they are trying to hide something.

15. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Like I said, it all depends on the car. You certainly pay less for a car with a salvage title, but its not 50-75% less, if the car is/was repaired properly. If you put a post on here with a salvaged (enter your favorite Ferrari here) for sale, you'll have 200 people say they'd never be caught dead buying one, and you'd have 20 serious people emailing with the seller and someone would buy it for more money than the other 180 would have believed.

Its a funny business, definitely risky, but it all depends on the car.

Ed

16. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

I wondered if that was Martin's old 355 that was crashed on a test drive in the miami rain and sold to insurance.

17. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    Not sure if anyone else truely noticed, but no engine pics which would build some confidence. Every ad including my own I see engine pic's. But this guy does seem to make sure to take pics of both sides and 3 interior pics.

18. RichardGilmore

RichardGilmore Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Richard Gilmore
    Martin - do you know this car? I ran the hbid to 56k and won't chase it till I know something

19. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Tough call with out eyeballing this one with a salvage title. Normally, at this price range, you better be prepared to have it for awhile, when the salvage title will be irrelevant. If short term driver, better own it cheap, as that salvage title will turn off most buyers when trying to resell. Mst buyers think salvage title=Atracked or submarine.