Karting..Am I a wimp? | FerrariChat

Karting..Am I a wimp?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Dec 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    This is a spin of a thread in N.CA. I like go karts. I got into racing with a KT100. I picked up a second for when friends come along. The kart does about 60MHh. I want to get a 125cc upgrade (Parilla). The problem I have is in pushing the speed. In my 100cc KT, I think it has all the speed I need, i.e: I don't want to get in a wreck any faster! I drove Art's shifter kart and it was a flippen rush, probably faster than the 125 I want to get. I have a bit of a fear of higher speeds (70+) coupled with more racers on the track with the 125's Vs the 100's. I want to step up in the faster class, but I am not sure what my mindset needs to be to feel comfortable. What should I do?

2. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    Step back and take a few deep breaths. Do not jump into the faster karts until you are ready for it. Continue with what you have and develop your skills and confidence. If you are at all nervous with the faster karts than you are going to be a hazard to yourself and others. You mentioned the more crowded field with the 125's; these guys are going to be pushing the envelope with their machines, the last thing they need is a wild card in the middle of the pack. I have a buddy that races shifter karts, he talks about flying around a corner doing 80 only to come up on someone doing 60. He's had some hairy moments.

3. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    BTW- you are not a wimp. You are braver than me for getting into one of those things in the first place. I wouldn't mind taking one out for a little spin but not in a competitive environment. I know my limits.

4. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Grab your rocking chain and sit back and watch the action on the track :) I will have to agree with you about the speeds of a 125cc shifter cart it is insane sitting that close to the ground going that fast. Take it in slow steady steps and soon you will feel very comfortable with the shifter carts.

5. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    How much you get one of those things for?

My friend had a 125 he raced I took it out on the street once and opened it up.............. dang fast but very fun!

6. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Comes a time in life, when being able to walk, means more to you than an adrenaline rush.