Average Income of new Ferrari owner | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Average Income of new Ferrari owner

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mr. green, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mr. green

mr. green Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    Manatee,

Good Idea, Let's start with you!

2. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto

Being able to pay cash for a Ferrari, and actually doing it, are two different things. Dumb move IMHO. Always use OPM for these things, and INVEST the cash in positive ROI projects.

Ernesto

3. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    "Being able to pay cash for a Ferrari, and actually doing it, are two different things. Dumb move IMHO. Always use OPM for these things, and INVEST the cash in positive ROI projects."

Well said Ernesto.

4. Shadow DN8

Shadow DN8 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I also think if you are looking at a new Ferrari, it will be better to at least be ABLE to buy it with cash. If you are SURE you will make more on investing the cash, then invest the cash and borrow the money. The Ferrari is most likely a depreciating toy.

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Those of you who sent me a PM should check your PM's for a reply.

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thanks Kds. Interesting to see, I would have thought the C-class to be way lower (in the States I would think so) - is the M class one a typo?? A missing '1?' It seems really low, isn't that the retail price in Canada for an M-class?

7. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Personally as an aspiring Ferrari owner, this has been an interesting thread. Quite honestly, I wouldn't expect to buy a new Ferrari unless I'm pulling in something >$500k per year, or have a substantial savings. Even then, now way I'd pay cash. There are too many other investment options that are much better than a depreciating asset.

This is the main reason I started my own company last year, best thing I ever did.

Forza!

8. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

That "is not" a typo actually..........

9. WilliamT

WilliamT Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    William
    I remember reading in an article that the rule of thumb is your income/2.5 through income/3. (It was in a Maybach review in R&T).
    (Or take the car price and multiply by 2.5 and 3 to get the range of how much you should be making).

If you make 30k/year, then you should buy a car in the 10-12k range.

The article mentioned that most S-Class owners have a gross income of around 200-240k/year for an 80k car. A Maybach owner would have a gross income of about $1 million/year for a 335k car.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I gauged it against myself and my car purchase and its accurate for me and I wasn't even thinking about that. For me, it was more of a comfort level that happen to match that statistic.

Assuming a new 360 goes for around 150-175k. Based on this formula the owner would have an annual income of around 375k-525k of comfortably affording this car.

10. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I read the target salary for an NSX owner is $250K. So I would imagine a ferrari would be closer to $500K for a 360 and probably more for a 575.

I also remember reading that the target for a Mercedes S600 was someone making around $400K.

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if u live in an expensive part of the country with wife and kids and you dont want to cut corners i would guess one would need to make seven figures or more gross...

all depends on what one wants.

12. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    A well known Ferrari Dealer,when asked by a journalist,"who was the average Ferrari buyer?",answered:
    "He is a gynecologist,making about $50k"
    journalist:"a month?"
    Dealer: " a week"
    I heard that story in the mid 80's.

13. enzoz

enzoz Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Lord... I want a Ferrari so bad, but jeeezzzusss.... That's a lot of dough to be making.

14. mr. green

mr. green Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    If a gynecologist is making 50k a week he's looking at alot of poon.

15. Sensational1

Sensational1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Michael Basic
    Heh, my mom is a OB-GYN and I can tell you it is not like that anymore.8(

16. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    More interesting to me, what do you pay per mile to own your Ferrari? I ask, only because I wonder if my case is similar to other people's, and if not should I be getting different model F-cars?

Excluding the entry price, my cars cost about $2.00+/mile to maintain. The entry price was high, but the maintenance and upkeep is the tough one when you don't have time/talent to work on the cars yourself.

Since my TR was new, maintenance and repairs alone have amounted to more than 1/2 the initial price of the car with 43K on the odometer, and the 355 is at 1/3 with 22K on the odometer.

Oh, and I eat jujubes for dinner to afford my F-car habit; the things some of us do to own a Ferrari...

David

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    $200K is plenty--you just have to already have your house paid off, and 1 years salary already in the bank (e.g. liquid)! But in this case, you won't be getting a loan.....

18. Ferruccio

Ferruccio Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2003
    olathe, KS
    Full Name:
    Dan Gordon
    So if you had $40,000 to put down and was making $80,000 a year no one would give you a loan on a $80,000 car?

19. RDS

RDS Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Elmwood Park, Il
    Dear Mr. Green, Everyone has something to hide, and if they say they don't they are lying. Do not respond to this message because I just learned about the ignore list. You will be on it asap. RDS

20. mr. green

mr. green Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
  21. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    My rule is:

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING UNLESS U CAN BUY IT WITH ALL CA$H!!!

u can't afford it, don't buy it!

22. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Allan made a great point.. far better ways to tie up large sums of cash, or have we forgotten what real estate can do for you? I know someone who can get me a return of 10-12%/yr without loosing the principle but it takes it to make it. Real estate is still far better.

For those who say, if you can't pay cash, don't buy it, what a great way to spend... buy it outright and then let it depreciate. Have fun saving for a life that might not be there tomorrow!

Sunny

23. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    I think the issue of pay cash/payment plan came up already a while ago, it's matter of what fits you would be my guess. Some don't like to have anchors of any form (I'd put myself there). Also the depreciation is relative with new F-cars since the price doesn't go down that quickly along with the 2-year waiting lists. I know a few who after a year or so of owning a new f-car sold it for the same amount(or more) spent on it

We all make choices, just because somebody doesn't follow somebody else's choice I see no reason to tag them as [whatever name calling here]

Cheers

24. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    The really expensive part is not buying the car new, its eating the depreciation when you sell it in a year or so. On a 575 or something like that, it makes the service costs look like a drop in the bucket.
    That makes the cheapest Ferrari to own a Lusso or Daytona, or something like that. Or a short ownership of a car that commands a premium like the 360 spider.
    Pick anything in the price guides with an up arrow instead of a down if your not rich enough to burn up tens of thousands of dollars a year.

25. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Remember that when you lease a car....all you are doing is pissing away money. You never get any of it back! It's just like paying RENT on an apartment or house. You never see any of the ca$h back!

At least when you outright OWN something like a car or a house, you can do whatever you want with it. In the instance of a car, you aren't restricted on how many miles you can drive it a year....to even being able to have the pleasure of saying that you OWN a FERRARI, instead of leasing one.

Leasing cars is just like renting apartments or houses. a waste of money