What are the two hoses attached under my 308 airbox for? | FerrariChat

What are the two hoses attached under my 308 airbox for?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by kdross, Dec 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    While installing a new air filter, I noticed that there are two hoses that attach to the air box from the bottom. These two hoses (both black braided hoses) were not connected, and did not have any clamps. I searched my parts book and the Ferrari UK site and cannot locate these hoses on any of the diagrams. What are these two hoses for and do I need to put clamps on them? If I do not clamps, does anyone have a part number? I have since reconnected them to the bottom of the air box, but I do not know whether or not they will "blow" off when I start the car.

Thanks.
    Ken

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Ken,
    If you go to the Ferrari Owner's Site, and log in, then go to the spare parts section under Vintage...they have exploded parts diagrams of everything. Just look up your car and you should be able to see all the hose routing.

Good luck, and report back what you find.
    Dave

3. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Dave:

I already looked at that diagram, plus I have a hard copy of it. Neither diagrams mention or illustrate either of the hoses. Any other ideas?

Ken

4. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    I have a 79 308. The hoses are for gases/oil from the crankcase. There should be an "oil seperator" thing down the hose on the distributor side of the engine. I guess someone might disconnect them if the collected the oil in a can, or just let it pour on the ground, just to keep the filter clean longer?

5. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    it is hard to find these hoses in the drawings as they are not with the airbox drawings but with the vaccuum system drawings.

The big hose (about 3/4ID) deos thru the galley and across to the oif fume seperator below distributers. That is th only one i have on my car---if the other one is smaller--it might be for gas system fumes from the charcoal box.

6. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    The hoses are for EPA emissions; there should be clamps on them.

Go to your local auto parts store, and buy a couple of worm gear clamps of the proper size.

There's nothing special about the clamps, that you would have to buy them through Ferrari

7. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Hi, Ken--Happy Holidays! I just had those hoses off of my car as I was replacing the under-plenum coolant hoses and it made access much easier. I don't have any clamps on mine either. Upon inspection of them I didn't see any marks indicating that there were ever clamps on there. The do fit the nipples rather tightly and I don't beleve that they experience any high pressure which would blow them off. However, clamps wouldn't hurt anything for sure.

8. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    By the way--on my QV, one goes to the auxilliary air vave located under the expansion coolant tank : the other is attached to the air injectio cut-off valve ( that round thing with the vacum hose attached to the top of it.

9. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thanks a lot Bill.

Ken