EA Sports F1 2002... | FerrariChat

EA Sports F1 2002...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Dec 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I just picked this game up at a mall Game Stop for $9.95. Previous F1 game I had was about 6 years old and doesn't even compare to this game. The graphics and controls on this game are just unbelievable. When you watch the replay it's like you're watching the actual race.

For those that haven't tried it, I recommend it, for those that have, I have some questions...

1) Is there a newer version of the software? F1 2004?

2) What are the best control settings? I have most on Low, but then there's all kinds of % settings too.

3) I'm using the keyboard, would getting a joystick or steering wheel help? The keyboard is really jerky to control.

4) I'm racing Indy because it's a fairly simple course. I can only do laps of about 1:25. I think it's more the computer limiting me than me driving that slow. I like how the computer adjusts the opponents to your times, so the racing is close. They run 1:14's, but when I start doing 1:25's everyone slows down. How can I get down to 1:14's?

Great game for only $10.

2. zwoemba

zwoemba Formula 3

Nov 22, 2003
    I play only GP4

3. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003

I havent seen '03 in stores yet. I dont think it is available. I picked up '02 last year, but havent played it in months. Great game. The detail in the game is amazing. I love how precise the car setup is. Sorry I cannot remember the control settings I used, since I havent played it in months.

You should definitely pick up a wheel. With the keyboard your steering aggression is either all or none, and that makes it hard. I picked up the MOMO Force Feedback wheel. It was about $150 CA. Definitely worth buying and is good quality. The force feedback is awesome. If you pump up the feedback settings the wheel will really fight with you. It definitely enhances the whole experience.

Good Luck.

4. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    I played this game! Just rented it though.
    I really like that slipstream thingy, where you can pick up speed by drafting and pass some people.

5. Skelter

Skelter Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    I just got the latest(and last) version of this game, F1 Challenge 99-02, they didn't have the licensing for the '03 season so they made the new game include those past seasons including track changes for each season.

I recommend you get this game over F1 2002, the physics model is much better as well as the graphics and framerate, on the PC version at least.

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    GP4 is better as it is more realistic, but EA sports can be networked so you can race against other humans, which is a lot of fun.

You definitely need a wheel and pedals. Ideally throw in a bucket seat. Normally you can play better/more precise with the keyboard, but obviously that is not very realistic.

Sites like

http://www.bhmotorsports.com/
    www.simracingnews.com

offer add ons to get your car liveries of the latest season. No real need to buy a new game every year.

Forget laptimes as absolutes. Depends partially on your machine. What is much more important is to see how close you can get within the cc cars. Can you get on pole with/without driver aids in different levels? Once you can beat the cc cars without too many aids you have a good chance at beating other human competitors. Laptimes are mostly meaningless.

PS: If you ever make it to Chicago, come on over and join me in a networked race.

7. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    F1 2003 is avaliable on Playstation 2 only :(

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Does anyone want to get group racing online? I haven't had a chance to get a copy yet, but I'm it's not a problem finding one. Let me know. :)

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Only got dial up connection.
    :(

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Andreas, what game were you using as the season went along?

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Grand Prix 4

With the latest liveries to represent the 03 season plus changed the driver names of course.

The EA sports game is great fun, but the physics model is not as accurate as the GP4 one. Also the AI is not as good, same goes for the way it shows rain. The big plus is however the networking capability and the fact, that it is more up to date:

There is no track editor for Grand Prix 4 (as opposed to its predecessor Grand Prix 3) and there probably will never be one. Therefore GP4 still shows the old configuration of Hockenheim with the Ostkurve (although I like that layout better, of course it is totally out of date) and the old first turns for Nuerburg, Monza and Hungaroring.

What we really need is GP5 with networking capability. But since Hasbro has a tendency to ruin everything it touches, Geoff probably will never lay his hands on that we're stuck with EA Sports.
    :(

12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    fabulous game!

The F1 2002, I haven't played yet, but if it's 10 bucks, I'll probably get it. I'm eagerly awaiting Gran Turismo 4 (available 4/30/04).

There *should be* a newer F1 coming out, but EASports hasn't released anything to the best of my knowledge. Overseas, apparently you can get different versions, but not here.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm only familiar with F1 games. I would love to race something different though, but so far all GT or street racing games have been just that: Games and not really simulations. Odd physics, non in car perspective (who in the real world drives his car by flying behind it?), sky cluttered with rpms etc.

Is there a realistic street racing/GT game out there or will GT 4 be the one?

14. Goggles Pisano

Goggles Pisano Karting

May 22, 2002
    I picked it up for about the same price, plus I picked up a cheap driving wheel to replace the Act Labs Force RS wheel that perished recently. The funny thing is that I haven't played it yet, I was too busy finding and downloading the GTR2002 plugin that lets you race with FIA GT cars.

I don't think you'll regret picking up F1 2002 at all.

15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    this is why I'm not so much a project gotham or games of the like kind of fan. GT3 was quite realistic for a console game. some other racing games are realistic but only on the pc. GT4 I think will be closer and closer, but... still no car damage to the realistic extent. however, you do get lots of adjustments to tweak the cars, and you can use simulation tires and try courses such as laguna seca (apart from the fake courses) - you'll see your laptimes can be *very* close to real life, and the course is quite close to how it is in real life. with one big exception - there's no big oak at the bottom of the cork screw to aim for.

I've really enjoyed GP3 and GP4, even though there wasn't many factors you could mess with about the car. they were pretty much 'set' and you go. graphics are lacking, but the playability outshined the lack of graphics.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok, I'll have a look at GT4 then.

However I don't fully agree with your statement about the setup of the GP3/GP4 cars. I have dozens of different setups for different conditions (dry, wet, qualifying, race) for these cars for all the tracks and finding the right setup for a particular race is half the fun.

17. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    correct about the dozens of different setups. but they are pretty much set. in GT3, when you purchase the fully adjustable suspension, depending on the car, you can set up ride height, camber & toe adjustments. with a race built transmission you can also change the gearing, and the final drive ratio - which can be to your advantage on various tracks.

f1 sims are great, and I've been addicted since the first 'test drive' game, which, looking back, just blows. but then there was the disk version of indy car, and that rocked to a certain extent. however, not always fast is the fastest. in games like the GT series - you'll be tested on the line and driving it correctly instead of just blazing through corners like other arcade style games (no, not f1 games).

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    With a steering wheel, what do you use for throttle and brake?

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Steering wheels normally come with foot pedals for throttle and brake.

For versatility I suggest you get the Momo wheel, which also has a sequential shifter on the side (as well as the F1 paddles). So you can use either depending on what car your drive.

20. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    i was thinking about getting F1 99-02. it seemed like a pretty fun game because it gave you background to team management and selecting driver's through the seasons. but i've never taken to much EA racing games since i've played Grand Turismo. i played Need for Speed Once and thought it was lame after GT. i figured that the F1 games would be similar. the reviews on it were satisfactory but wasn't impressive. i really liked the ability to adjust the car as much as you could though.

i'm definetly waiting on GT4, isn't PS2 supposed to have that networked too? if only they have some ferraris in it the game would be that much better.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I once had 355 Challenge for the box, but gosh was that lame in comparison to the arcade version. Obviously it didn't have the multi monitor support (why not?), but what annoyed me the most was that you had to earn the tracks before you could play them. Even with cheat codes it took forever to get in the game where you wanted to be.

Games and sims on the PC are so much better. You setup the stuff the way you like it and basta. It stays that way and you have full control over it. And if you play GPL you even have multi monitors.
    :)

22. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    F1 Challenge 99-02 that came out this year will be the last from EA SPORTS.Although it will probably be used for years to come.I just got the tentative schedule for my league yesterday.Looks like i need to get on my setups.I've been kind of lazy in the off season.But at least I'll be driving the ferrari this year.

23. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    I have to sencond the MOMO steering wheel. Just picked it up last night and the feel of this wheel is the best I have ever came across! Great force feedback also. By far the best out there but it is spendy at 100 bucks.

24. Rocco

Rocco Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2003
    Hello
    Just to let you know the f1 2002 Update to 2003 is out for Download
    Tonight I will post it here for you
    Bye bye