Maserati bottom guesses? | FerrariChat

Maserati bottom guesses?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Davidindallas, Dec 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    I have no clue what a maserati will bottom out at. You can sort of guess the ferrari long-term values. A 355 will always be worth more than a 348, and a 308 will always be worth more than a 308 GT, which as far as I'm concerned will never be worth less than about 20. At least, that makes sense to me. But, these maseratis seem to be depreciating like rocks. Where does it end. I figure they won't fall below the mondial's, which for me will end just below the comparable 308-328 range. Likewise, I think they SHOULD do a little better than the old masers and the porsche 911 competition. An old 993 or 996 is always a 25 - 35k (at worst) car in good shape, etc. So, then will these maseratis be 35k in five years? Will they track the ferrari 2 plus 2s whose performance they surpass (i.e., somewhat better in $$ than a 412 (a stable 35-40k car to me)) Or what? Any thoughts?

2. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Yep kind of interesting question. I would bit your price is within the correct range. I figure within a few years 35 to 40K will be a very easy price to hit.

Much different than the old Maseratis. Most of the older Maseratis and Ferraris are selling for much more than their original sticker. This has to do with the adjusted value of the dollar and the "blip" in the 80s. The price of Ferraris increased radically within a short period of time. I don't remember the exact year, but remember the "blip"

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The Maseratis are great cars. I think they're worth $85k, but I would never pay that because I would worry about the depreciation. Anyway, I think a Maserati would get attractive enough to buy for me if about a nice 328 or 348 range. So I would put the number a little higher at $40-48k.

4. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Maseratis are underappreciated and undervalued in the long run. When they were introduced back into the US the timing was completely off and lack of advertising did nothing to help overcome the poor reputation that the older Maseratis had gotten. Especially the TC. The TC is the one most people remembered and we all know it was not a real Maserati anyway. For the performance, quality of the interior, sound, feel, and pedigree, it should do much better than it is. But, getting right down to it, the whole pre-owned market seems to be really off right now so maybe Maserati is not alone in "dropping like a rock".

And all this coming from a guy who was a Maserati manager when they were first introduced. I had really high hopes and we spent a "lot" of money to push the Masers locally but received no support from National.
    I believe that was a big mistake on Maserati USA's part.

Now, to the original question. A five year old Maserati coupe will probably come in around $50-$55K and a Spyder about $5K more.

5. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    2002 Maseratis are all over the web at asking prices around $65k. That would indicate that the five year price will be well below $50k-$55k.

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The issue is that Maserati isn't Ferrari. Someone who's looking for a 348 or Mondial or 412 isn't really going to be in the market for a Maserati even if the price range is the same. Your used Maserati is going to be competing with similar year or newer Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus, etc, and will suffer from the Italian quality reputation against those cars. Not only that, there will be much less support for this brand of cars from the dealers than comparable brands, and normal people won't put up with the typical turnaround on older Fcar repairs.

They're just going to be old used cars, and will depreciate to zero or darned close.

7. davel

davel Guest

Tillman nailed it. Why buy this car they can t seem to give away when in comparison to MAJOR makers other luxo coupes. Not a good choice in the long run for a daily driver unless you live near a Maser dealer. It might get better if they pair up with Audi etc.
    If your looking to buy a Maserati at all, buy a Bora or Ghibli. Thats it. Happy Holidays

8. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    All depends on what you are looking for. If you want something that will keep it's value and probably go up. By a Bora, Ghibli, Sebring, Mexico etc.

Again they have already proven this. All of these cars are going for major dollars more than they sold for.

If you are looking for a nice driver with somebody else taking the depreciation then by a 03 coupe or convertible in a few years.

Nothing wrong with doing both.

9. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    The Bora, Ghibli, Sebring & Mexico are all great cars, but after 25 or more years they are really selling below their asking price after adjusting for inflation.
    In 2003 dollars a Ghibli 4.7 coupe would have run $99,981. The current price is about 41% of that. Similarly, a Bora runs ~50% of the $105,570 inflation indexed amount.
    Many older 2 seat Ferraris have fared better. A Daytona would have cost $91,400 in 2003 dollars and goes for ~142% of that price. A 365GTC would have cost $94,162 in 2003 dollars and goes for ~122% of that price. However, the 365 GT4 BBoxer comes in at ~55% ($136,800 in 2003 dollars).

A older 2+2 Maserati Khamsin would have cost $114,774 in 2003 dollars and now sells for ~18% of that price.
    A Ferrari 400 2+2 would have sold for about $145,000 in 2003 dollars and now goes for ~17% of that price.
    A '95 2+2 456 would have cost $250,506 in 2003 dollars which would work out to ~ 28% for the current asking price.
    [A '96 355B listed for $120,050, which would work out to $140,450 in 2003 dollars. Current asking price of a 355: ~$95,000 which would be ~68%. Who knows what it will be in another 20 years. (Who wants to wait!). A '97 550M is down to 56%.]

So 17% to 28% of a $90,000 2+2 Maser coupe is $15,300 to $25,200 in today's dollars over time.

10. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I think the Masers will be in the 20's 5 years from now.

11. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    I would find 20s hard to believe, simply based on the parts value. It's similar to what happens now with the GT cars. I looked @ two Mexicos both worth no more than 7 or 8K. Both needed major restoration. A restoration on either car would have been 20+. The car would then have been worth mid to maybe upper 20s. So 5 to 8K made sense. The cars both sold for above 10K. In one case 14K. The sum of the parts were worth enough to break the cars down. In the 14K cars case it was going to get restored, by somebody who had no common sense. In the case of the other car 10.5 it was broken down for parts.

At 20K the engine, transmission etc. will be worth breaking the car for.

12. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    No, because the parts are not really interchangeable with other cars. Their resale value drops like a rock, and will continue to do so. Hopefully, they wont end up being Maserati Biturbos.

13. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    The diffrence is new cars are made much better than the Mexico's.
    In five years the coupes and spyders will not be suffering from rust (hopefully). Also they will be relatively very available versus any car such as the Mexico.
    Does the 4.9 from the Q-portte fit in the Bora, Khamsin an Ghibli?

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I actually agree with Allan on this one. Look at the Audi A8. Parts alone have to be worth more than $20k, but the 1997's are selling in that ball park. Figure $23k for the coupe, maybe $28k for the spider. Still better than the bi-turbo.

15. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Where can I sell my '97 A8 quattro for $20k? I am asking $10,800 on autotrader and have only one call in 7 weeks. Mileage is high....but still....mechanically perfect, newer tires/brakes, all records since new.

16. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Yep. In just a few years these new Masers will be 15-25...just like an older Mondial. Now, I like 'em, so that is good news for us "bottom feeders."

17. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC

The Ghibli SS, later Boras and all Khamsins have 4.9 liter engines. I'd rather have a 4.7L Bora, since it doesn't have all the anti-pollution stuff.
    (To think that I was a child of the 60's)

18. mr. green

mr. green Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    CAN YOU HEAR ME

19. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    $5k in ten years is my guess.

Nobody wants them.

Another Maserati Bi Turbo repeat .

20. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Personally, i think they are horrible. No style, no performance, nothing.

21. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Rather than compare the current Maseratis to either Ferrari or classic Maseratis, they should be compared to the comtemporary competition: MB, BMW, & Jaguar. The Maserati Coupe will be like a BMW 850 is now with a bottom around $20k and the best ones going for little over $30k in a few years. The Spyder will be like an XK8 convertible or SL500 that is a few years old now, with a similar price range to the those cars now.

It will be interesting, however, if the paddle-shifters will be worth more, less, or the same as the sticks. In reading other posts about the Ferrari F1 system and its higher maintenance costs, my guess is that in 2010 a Cambiocorsa Maserati will be worth less than a stick. The lack of a true automatic could possibly hurt sales later as well, many people may be put off by the stick or the fear of a "ticking time bomb" paddle transmission. High parts prices, sparse dealer support, and the reliability reputation of Italian automotive products will not help anything either. The diehards will always want their Ferraris, while many "casual" consumers will buy an SL or M5.

With that said, I personally would love to buy a stick Coupe in a few years for $20-30k. To me the current Maseratis are desirable cars in their own right when compared with their competition, regardless of the Ferrari tie-in BS. I'd rather have a depreciated-out 2003 Maser coupe than a Mondial, 308GT4, or Merak for the same money.

22. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Very interesting and helpful responses. I think I lean toward the majority position and thus am fearful of putting money into one of these with anything but the expectation that it is an expense but fun mode of interim transport. Hence, I'm still leaning toward a 456 as a supplement to my daily driver for a fun and powerful 2 plus 2. There is such a flood of quick and pretty european machinery out there with no end in sight. Five years from now a honda accord will probably come standard with 300 bhp and paddle shifting (whether or not that's a good thing), and the various AMG and BMW M offerings will be available in the low 20s along with the underloved masers. I'm fearful the same thing may happen (gasp) to the Ferrari line, as the performance margin narrows between the exotics and the mainline offerings.

23. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I dont think the cars will hold their values at all, like a Porsche 928, due to the fact of huge maintenence costs, which are not justified by the car doing, or being anything special.

24. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Well, "nothing special" is in the eye of the beholder. Certainly one sees (at least in our area) many Mercedes and Jags and Porsches, but very few of the Maseratis - if that sort of exclusivity matters to you. I find the engine wonderful, and the exterior and interior elegant. I would prefer more "sporty" handling, but I'm really a sportscar rather than a GT man. Said this before here, but my wife and I love our Mas coupe. With the tubi, the sound is exquisite. Reliability has been fine. I fear that depreciation will be sharp unless Maserati can get a foothold in the US market.

25. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Just subsitute Maserati for 360F1 and you will have the same values. Maybe not as fast as the Maser but the final loss will be about the same when you consider the MSRP of both cars.

It's very unfortunate but more tech brings fear into the second hand market. The F1 like as stated abive, is a ticking time bomb for major and expensive problems. The six speed cars will sell for more because they will me in more demand in the second hand market. Same goes for the Maser. BMW 7 series will be clogging dealer lots as soon as they come off lease why? too much tech in the cars.

The Maser has a long way to go to catch up to Benz, BMW,Lexus, etc. If
    they are trying to compete in that market..they have a long road ahead of them. I think Ferrari made a huge mistake trying to bring back a company with a terriable reputation for their road cars. Look a Lotus..fantastic car since the mid 90's but the past is still with them because of the terriably unreliable cars they have built in the past. This directly effects the resale value of the cars.

MHO of crouse..worth what ya paid for it

Tom :)